Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi

Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby astrocat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 pm

Image

BBC link!

Looking forward to this! :)
astrocat
 
 
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby iank » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 am

They're there for 2 minutes. It's a New who Missy flying Cybusmen finale with a few bits of fan service thrown in for suckers.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
User avatar
iank
 
 
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby torchwood » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:23 am

Way to go spoiling the finale, BBC.
torchwood
 
 
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:17 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby The Krynoid Man » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 am

As much as I love the original cybermen, I can't help but worry that casual viewers will just find them silly because "LOL they look like they're from the 60's"
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
User avatar
The Krynoid Man
 
 
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:02 am

torchwood wrote:Way to go spoiling the finale, BBC.


Well to be fair, they were filming stuff involving Mondasian Cybermen on the streets of Cardiff last night, there's quite a fair few photos splashing about on Twitter and the like, guess the BBC thought it was gonna be impossible to keep under wraps - if it was gonna leak and be spoiled anyway, then might as well do it themselves.
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
 
Posts: 11450
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby shuzbot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 am

The Krynoid man wrote:As much as I love the original cybermen, I can't help but worry that casual viewers will just find them silly because "LOL they look like they're from the 60's"


Why does what the casual viewer think matter?

Besides the Top-Knots aren't exactly state of the edge: https://twitter.com/SeanMossy/status/838871444553596929
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
User avatar
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander
 
Posts: 13519
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Timbuktu

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby paulhickling » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:19 pm

For one story anyway it doesn't matter one jot what the casual viewer thinks. How many fx/cozzie slip-ups have there been over the years? Just the same. Not to mention the fact that there'll be the usual modern fx and fast pacing, those casual viewers will barely notice the bits that will give a warm glow to old fans.

It's the same with bringing old characters back. How many casual viewers were annoyed that they must have missed something when Sarah Jane and K9 showed up (not to mention getting her own series)? Or when she and Davros knew each other in that amazing scene in Journey's End. And I'll bet NO ONE questioned what the Macra were!

I've always thought that as long as the episodes have enough of everything else that modern viewers watch for, they could give a flying toss how much 'continuity' from the old days gets crammed in. Just has to be done right.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby cyberlad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:26 am

Guess this rather undermines the whole Moffatt hates the classic series line that is pushed by some on here. Must be one of those alternative facts I keep hearing about.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby LizR » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 am

cyberlad wrote:Guess this rather undermines the whole Moffatt hates the classic series line that is pushed by some on here. Must be one of those alternative facts I keep hearing about.

I imagine it's based on some comments he made a while ago, such as the ones here.

Andy: Come on, if you put it up against I, Claudius, there are amazing similarities. I, Claudius took place entirely on studio sets, everyone wore stupid costumes, talked in mock Shakespearean speech...

Steven: And it had a brilliant script and a cast of brilliant actors. These are two things we cannot say in all forgiveness about Doctor Who. There have been times when some people have thrown doubt on the quality of the dialogue. Much as I dearly love it...

David: You're willing to recognise its limitations?

Steven: Yeah. I still think all the Peter Davison stuff stands up.

David: I'm sorry but I hated the Davison era.

Steven: How could you? I'm talking retrospectively now, when I look back at Doctor Who now. I laugh at it, fondly. As a television professional, I think how did these guys get a paycheck every week? Dear god, it's bad! Nothing I've seen of the black and white stuff - with the exception of the pilot, the first episode - should have got out of the building. They should have been clubbing those guys to death! You've got an old guy in the lead who can't remember his lines; you've got Patrick Troughton, who was a good actor, but his companions - how did they get their Equity card? Explain that! They're unimaginably bad. Once you get to the colour stuff some of it's watchable, but it's laughable. Mostly now, looking back, I'm startled by it. Given that it's a children's show, and a teatime show, I think the Peter Davison stuff is well constructed, the characters are consistent...

Andy: They are consistently crap.

David: One dimensional and cardboard.

Steven: That's true, but if you can point at one example of melodrama where that's not true, I'd be grateful. Peter Davison is a better actor than all the other ones, that's the simple reason why he works more than all the other ones. There is no sophisticated, complicated reason to explain why Peter Davison carried on working and all the other Doctors disappeared into a retirement home for lardies. He's better and I think he's extremely good as the Doctor. I recently watched a very good Doctor Who story, one I couldn't really fault. It was Snakedance. Sure it was cheap but it was beautifully acted, well written. There was a scene in it where Peter Davison has to explain what's going on, the Doctor always has to. Now some drunk old lardie like Tom Baker would come on to a sudden, shuddering halt in the middle of the set (and) stare at the camera because he can't bear the idea that someone else is in the show. But Peter Davison is such a good actor he managed to panic on screen for a good two minutes so he had you sitting on the edge of your seat, thinking god, this must be really, really bad. He shrills and shrieks and fails around marvellously. And he's got the most boring bunch of lines to say and I'm thinking 'Oh no, this guy's wetting himself! We're in real trouble!'
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
 
Posts: 20441
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby koschei kriegsleiter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:37 am

cyberlad wrote:Guess this rather undermines the whole Moffatt hates the classic series line that is pushed by some on here. Must be one of those alternative facts I keep hearing about.

I think what Moffat likes to do is take elements of the Classic Series, and metaphorically "tag" them, to say "I control this now!"

Moffat has taken characters, concepts etc. from the Classic Series, and presented his Nu-Who version of them, robbing them of everything that made them work in the first place, but fitting them into his political/social agenda.

Many people, including me, have tried to convince ourselves that the Cybermen don't count, because they're not REAL Cybermen, they're those Lumic ones. So, Moffat goes back to the original ones.
koschei kriegsleiter
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby cyberlad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Or and this may be a radical idea for folks around here, he uses these elements because he likes the classic series.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby koschei kriegsleiter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:34 pm

cyberlad wrote:Or and this may be a radical idea for folks around here, he uses these elements because he likes the classic series.

But they often bear no resemblance whatsoever to what they were in the Classic Series. It's not a "reimagining", it's just using the NAME of a Classic Series concept(presumably to get interest), but then the same old Moffat tosh.
koschei kriegsleiter
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby cyberlad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:46 pm

No, they bear no relation to what you want them to be Koschei l you think offering evidence free opinion as fact is a substitute for good argument it isn't.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby koschei kriegsleiter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:44 am

cyberlad wrote:No, they bear no relation to what you want them to be Koschei l you think offering evidence free opinion as fact is a substitute for good argument it isn't.

Well, here's two pieces of evidence at once:
Image
koschei kriegsleiter
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby iank » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 am

Case closed. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
User avatar
iank
 
 
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby cyberlad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 pm

koschei kriegsleiter wrote:
cyberlad wrote:No, they bear no relation to what you want them to be Koschei l you think offering evidence free opinion as fact is a substitute for good argument it isn't.

Well, here's two pieces of evidence at once:
Image


One of those is explicitly stated to be atypical of his species.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby LizR » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 pm

One of them is a lizard with breasts, that's fairly atypical.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
 
Posts: 20441
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby cyberlad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Strax is explicitly stated to be a nurse in order to restore the honour of his clone batch. I suppose Koschei believes this is because Moffatt's a Stephen James Walker or some such alt-right bullsh*t.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby shuzbot » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

cyberlad wrote:Strax is explicitly stated to be a nurse in order to restore the honour of his clone batch. I suppose Koschei believes this is because Moffatt's a Stephen James Walker or some such alt-right bullsh*t.


I watched Spearhead from Space again the other day. The first scene with the female officer and male radar operator subordinate is clearly Stephen James Walker madness!
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
User avatar
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander
 
Posts: 13519
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Timbuktu

Re: Mondasian Cybermen series finale!

Postby mr borusa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 pm

cyberlad wrote:Strax is explicitly stated to be a nurse in order to restore the honour of his clone batch. I suppose Koschei believes this is because Moffatt's a Stephen James Walker or some such alt-right bullsh*t.


Okay if he stayed as a nurse in-stead he became a comedy Victorian Butler.
Binro was right.
User avatar
mr borusa
 
 
 
Posts: 7899
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:45 pm
Location: Gallifrey

Next

Return to SERIES 10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests