7%
4%
5%
4%
6%

Total votes : 136

Re: Rate "The Pilot"

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm

The Wooksta! wrote:Besides, there was one MASSIVE inconsistency in the whole Bill/Heather thing. Speaking as a straight bloke, Heather was really, really fit and she should be beating them off with a sh*tty stick. And well, TBH Bill isn't - 2am in a club after too many pints, maybe... She'd have no chance.

Speak for yerself, mate - I'd take Bill any day over that skinny whiney little no-tits whinge-bag :P
'teleportNOW!'

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Burnt_Chook » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:47 pm

9/10 for me, it felt like an episode/season pilot that tried its best to appeal/be accessible to everyone.

For some reason, i feel like Bill's introduction story was very similar to Leela's, in that The Doctor seemimgly put her through a number of tests, and at the end, reluctantly took her on as a companion.

The relatively (for a Moffat penned script) simple plot was appropriate for a season opener.

Bill's sexual preference felt no different to any other hetero relationship seen on the show. Pearl Mackie smashed it, can't speak highly enough of her performance.

Plenty of laughs and scares in a well rounded episode. Loved the River Song and Susan photos as well,.

I hope The Pilot gives the series the kick in the arm it sorely needs .
Burnt_Chook

Postby paulhickling » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 pm

feline1 wrote:
Happygolucky wrote:
Nosey Neighbour wrote:Oh, Daleks. They used to dominate the screen, be evil and execute big plans.

Sad to see them have bit parts and be so easy to dispose of. This needs to change.

A great shout!!! Daleks have only ever been properly represented in The Power Of The Daleks and possibly Evil as well, the reason being that David Whitaker knew how to write a story, besides, what do you expect, it is Moffat?!!!.
Regards HGL.

Come now, they were brilliant in their original serial too, whatever it was called ;)

As a matter of fact the Daleks have never looked as evil as the scene where they lure the Thals into their city. With Tristram Cary's stabby musique concrete bubbling away as they slide backwards into the dark corners waiting to strike. Marvellous stuff. If only they were always like that.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:40 pm

paulhickling wrote:As a matter of fact the Daleks have never looked as evil as the scene where they lure the Thals into their city. With Tristram Cary's stabby musique concrete bubbling away as they slide backwards into the dark corners waiting to strike. Marvellous stuff. If only they were always like that.

see also: their very first scene where Barbara screams when menaced by a plunger,
and the scene where Hartnell, suffering badly from radiation poisoning, is interrogated under a spotlight.
Also that scene where one of them reacts badly to the Thals' anti-radiation drug and cries "help! help!" in a kaleidoscopic panic is brilliant.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby DSJR » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm

The Daleks were different then, able to scheme intelligently and their voices not quite as robotic on the one hand or hysterical on the other as they eventually became years later (give Mr Briggs an extra voice actor or two to bounce off from as the late great Peter Hawkins had).

I'm almost dreading the Ice Warrior/Mars-based episode now...
DSJR

Postby paulhickling » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 pm

feline1 wrote:
paulhickling wrote:As a matter of fact the Daleks have never looked as evil as the scene where they lure the Thals into their city. With Tristram Cary's stabby musique concrete bubbling away as they slide backwards into the dark corners waiting to strike. Marvellous stuff. If only they were always like that.

see also: their very first scene where Barbara screams when menaced by a plunger,
and the scene where Hartnell, suffering badly from radiation poisoning, is interrogated under a spotlight.
Also that scene where one of them reacts badly to the Thals' anti-radiation drug and cries "help! help!" in a kaleidoscopic panic is brilliant.

You really had me there until the "help me" bit. I understand the meaning there but sadly it's not well staged to be honest.

But of course nothing compared to the rest of that particular (if not the ultimate) classic.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 pm

feline1 wrote:

That scene also looks like Alastair Campbell advancing on Cherie Blair from certain angles.
Nosey Neighbour

Postby time4moreclassicwho » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Absolutely shocked!!!!
Was expecting utter tripe, unresolved (partially was about the spaceship/threat) storyline, a companion that either shouted or squarked at 78RPM all the time (Amy Pond) or was more intelligent and patronised and continuously slapped the Doctor (Clara).
Sick to death with Riversong - a "timelord" created from a bonk in the TARDIS during flight in the time vortex (GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH!!!)...

...THEN THIS EPISODE WAS AIRED!

Steven Moffat... What have you done!!!!

Why couldn't this have been your opening episode as producer when you took over the reins.
Loved the Empty Child and the Don't Blink episodes, was over the moon when the Moff took over.

THEN...
I couldn't believe that I could hate the series so much - and I thought JNT's reign was a low point until present day Moff rulership assassinated my faith and hopeful expectation of new who!!!!

THE PILOT....

EXCELLENT! Nicely paced, a few plot quibbles, nice new companion intro, great to see photo of Susan (don't you dare nark me off with a crap storyline resolve for her - I'M WARNING YOU!!!!), nice for a change to have a chuckle.

Here's hoping the rest of the season lives up to be more plausible and acceptable WHO...

Still can't wait to see the back of you Moffatt, but you could be leaving the series on a little high...

8/10
time4moreclassicwho

Postby koschei kriegsleiter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 am

Isn't it the case though that most of Moffat's "first episode of a series" have been pretty strong in general? The problem is sustaining it for another 11 or 12 episodes.
koschei kriegsleiter
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby markhuk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:54 pm

I thought it was a bit boring to be honest
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Postby paulhickling » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:03 pm

markhuk wrote:I thought it was a bit boring to be honest

No way boring, but I did notice it slowed down a couple of times, leaving me thinking this makes a nice change from too much frantic chasing around. Which is what folks want and now it's "boring"!
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:47 pm

markhuk wrote:I thought it was a bit boring to be honest

I think the key turning point was when they went 5 million billion million squillion light years away to the other side of the universe.... and within seconds, the lesbian puddle was there too.

Up until that point, it was a credible, steady-paced, well-acted, intriguing "where's this going?" type story.

But after that moment (whenever it was - 36.5 minutes in or whatever, I don't know), the episode basically sat bolt upright in bed, screamed "oh sh*t, my alarm didn't go off", came in its pants, was sick in its own hair, fell down stairs, and galloped off over the horizon, an irrational gibbering mess. More or less 8-)

I mean, it's almost like when you had to write a story for an English exam when you were 12, and you thought you were doing great but then the invigilator says "I'll be collecting your scripts in 10 minutes!" and you were like "ARRRRRRRRRRGH" and francticaally scribbled a hasty ending.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby johnnybear » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:14 pm

It was clever how the oily puddle girl was able to chase The TARDIS the way it did but like Feline1 says, once The TARDIS left the earth and the twenty first century and it still turned up it became ridiculous!
But isn't that how Moffat likes to treat the viewers? Give them a credible problem, enhance it and then just make us regret watching in the first place when he makes the answer to his problem so ludicrously silly that he'd be better tearing up the script and flushing it down the toilet?
The only Moffat produced episodes that I've ever rewatched were The Doctor's Wife and Day of The Doctor!
JB
johnnybear

Postby markhuk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:23 pm

johnnybear wrote:It was clever how the oily puddle girl was able to chase The TARDIS the way it did but like Feline1 says, once The TARDIS left the earth and the twenty first century and it still turned up it became ridiculous!
But isn't that how Moffat likes to treat the viewers? Give them a credible problem, enhance it and then just make us regret watching in the first place when he makes the answer to his problem so ludicrously silly that he'd be better tearing up the script and flushing it down the toilet?
The only Moffat produced episodes that I've ever rewatched were The Doctor's Wife and Day of The Doctor!
JB

Really ? Then you are depriving yourself of some great stories
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Postby oldschool » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Politically correct drivel. He even managed to throw the word ' vegan ' in as well, the ' Arse '.Oh, and that wretched companion who's only there for us all to be lectured to.........no thanks.
Machine Against The Rage
oldschool

Postby The Krynoid Man » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:53 pm

My uncle has just called it "Doctor Who and the Attack of the Killer Lesbians". Not a bad description actually.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby Servorobot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 pm

feline1 wrote:
The Wooksta! wrote:Besides, there was one MASSIVE inconsistency in the whole Bill/Heather thing. Speaking as a straight bloke, Heather was really, really fit and she should be beating them off with a sh*tty stick. And well, TBH Bill isn't - 2am in a club after too many pints, maybe... She'd have no chance.

Speak for yerself, mate - I'd take Bill any day over that skinny whiney little no-tits whinge-bag :P

Really? Obviously you like woman with giant bows in their hair Feline?
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm

oldschool wrote:Politically correct drivel. He even managed to throw the word ' vegan ' in as well, the ' Arse '.Oh, and that wretched companion who's only there for us all to be lectured to.........no thanks.

Actually I was surprised the whole thing wasn't shoehorned into the plot because that's what I expected and I don't think being vegan is politically correct, more unfathomable really.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby oldschool » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:45 am

Servorobot wrote:
Actually I was surprised the whole thing wasn't shoehorned into the plot because that's what I expected and I don't think being vegan is politically correct, more unfathomable really.

Given that ' meat is murder ' it probably does tick the box. We even got a street cred mini swear word thrown in as well for good measure.
Machine Against The Rage
oldschool

Postby Servorobot » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am

oldschool wrote:
Servorobot wrote:

Given that ' meat is murder ' it probably does tick the box. We even got a street cred mini swear word thrown in as well for good measure.

Meat isn't murder. Except to Morrissey I suppose.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

PreviousNext

Return to SERIES 10