8%

Total votes : 100

Rate "Smile"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 am

Rate Ep.2 "Smile".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Smile"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 pm

I found the episode hard to get into tbh. Didn't engage me. It was a bit on the tedious side. Too talky.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:14 pm

I quite enjoyed that.

It reminded me a bit of Ark in Space and it was nice to see The Doctor being The Doctor again instead of Clara's assistant.

8 out of 10
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby StellarX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:15 pm

D. U. L. L.

The kind of premise for an episode you might consider (briefly) then discard as too much effort for the meagre interest/excitement it would engender.

Two strikes so far. :-(
StellarX

Postby shuzbot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Not bad, very dialogue driven but the city made of nanobots was a cool idea and the thing echoed The Happiness Patrol. The lack of the Doctor and Clara smugly high-fiving, or was it slapping, was a breath of fresh air. Could be worse, 6
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby L. Scarman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Quite enjoyed that, kind of a mixture between ark in space and happiness patrol
L. Scarman

Postby DSJR » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:24 pm

BLOODY RESET BUTTON!!!!!

We're having the pee taken out of us now.

I'm so bemused and angry I can't give it a vote tonight. Have I completely misunderstood it?
DSJR

Postby johnnybear » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:25 pm

The Vardy were cute little beggars weren't they? :D
JB
johnnybear

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:30 pm

johnnybear wrote:The Vardy were cute little beggars weren't they? :D
JB

I liked them. :)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Um, I thought it visually looked quite nice, and was acted fairly decently (despite a minimal number of speaking parts - the fact that Equity rules forbad all the adults colonists but one speaking at the end was painfully obvious) -
but I'm afraid I thought that the plot/story premise was just STUPID. On one hand you the proverbial had technology so advanced it seemed almost like magic, but someone wrote the software so badly that it the robots decided to kill everyone?! But there was nothing anybody could do to fix it? (Except the Doctor, of course, who just some fiddled with a robot for 5 seconds and magically fixed the entire thing...)
Come off it. I'm sorry, I just didn't buy it.

This is sci-fi writted by dumb media-luvvie adults who have no understanding of science, who view the technology they see and use around them in their everyday lives as some sort of magic. It's really dumbed down and pretty stupid.

I was also asking 'if the emoji mood-indicators make the robots kill you, WHY DON'T YOU JUST BLOODY TAKE THEM OFF??"

Other minor thoughts - I felt the first scene in the TARDIS was going great (all the sparky banter about stealing it) until Matt Lucas walked in doing an unfunny panto routine. Thank god he didn't appear any further in the episode.

And the namecheck to Fleischmann's cold fusion engine amused me. (Google it ;)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 pm

L. Scarman wrote:Quite enjoyed that, kind of a mixture between ark in space and happiness patrol

I find the pick-and-mix constant allusions to previous adventures really rather distracting and tiresome, like the scripts are written by some kind of fan-boy committee who have been given an 20 point list of requirements by BBC Enterprises' Markerting dept.

Put it this way: it's like if an old band brought out an album and every song had about 5 bits where they played little tunes, riffs or breaks or sang famous lines from their classic hits from the 70s. It would be naff and annoying.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:39 pm

DSJR wrote:BLOODY RESET BUTTON!!!!!

We're having the pee taken out of us now.

I'm so bemused and angry

Yeah the 'magic reset thing' is total balls.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby L. Scarman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:44 pm

feline1 wrote:
L. Scarman wrote:Quite enjoyed that, kind of a mixture between ark in space and happiness patrol

I find the pick-and-mix constant allusions to previous adventures really rather distracting and tiresome, like the scripts are written by some kind of fan-boy committee who have been given an 20 point list of requirements by BBC Enterprises' Markerting dept.

Put it this way: it's like if an old band brought out an album and every song had about 5 bits where they played little tunes, riffs or breaks or sang famous lines from their classic hits from the 70s. It would be naff and annoying.

In reality I don't think any of us had great hopes for this following FCB's previous effort. We've all sat through a lot worse than this.
L. Scarman

Postby TheDentistOfDavros » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Way to boring! Seemed to me like they just walked around an empty (but very nice) city with Capaldi doing an hour long narration! Not too disappointed though as I expected this to be the worst of the series and on the plus side the emoji bots weren't annoying. Pearl was still very good, as was Peter, but they didn't get to do very much. Funny how slow the pace was, usually people complain that the new series is way too fast!

Really looking forward to next week though! Looks like a great story if it doesn't get rushed!
TheDentistOfDavros

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 pm

what was his previous effort?
'teleportNOW!'

Postby shuzbot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:54 pm

feline1 wrote:what was his previous effort?

In the Forest of the Night
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 pm

It was rather pointless having Ralph Little in this.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Zarius » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 pm

It wasn't too bad, the two-hander thing for most of the episode was pretty welcome, perhaps it could have done with a few more deaths though...and I feel the reset button ending won't solve the colony's problems...felt too idealistic for The Doctor to assume the colonists will just make peace with the robots, and that poor kid will grow up without his mother. It does'nt magically solve anything. Consequences cannot be reset.

I do enjoy Bill the more she carries on though.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby cyberlad » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 pm

but I'm afraid I thought that the plot/story premise was just STUPID. On one hand you the proverbial had technology so advanced it seemed almost like magic, but someone wrote the software so badly that it the robots decided to kill everyone?! But there was nothing anybody could do to fix it? (Except the Doctor, of course, who just some fiddled with a robot for 5 seconds and magically fixed the entire thing...)
Come off it. I'm sorry, I just didn't buy it.

What he did was turn it on and off, effectively rebooted the whole thing, in fact the robots and what they do isn't a million miles away from what is happening now. The robots were programmed to Labour, they were programmed to make everyone happy, they took their orders literally and thus when they encountered something that was outside of their programming they treated it as a threat.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby shuzbot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Personally, I would have liked a bit less of Nardol in the last one where he didn't do anything much and a bit more of him in this one. He never seems to be used as effectively as they could have and the fact he just reappeared in the last Christmas one just felt odd.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Next

Return to SERIES 10