11%
6%
4%
6%
8%

Total votes : 100

Re: Rate "Smile"

Postby StellarX » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Anyone else bemused by the glaring plot hole (or at least, inconsistency) when in the opening scenes the Emojibot is happily strolling through the fields outside the city. Then, when it suits the 'plot' - the city's border seems to act as a life-saving barrier for The Doctor and Bill when pursued by the... erm... Emojibots.

Why on earth doesn't the production team spot such problems? They have weeks to consider the plots. We notice these things almost immediately.
StellarX

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby -JMW- » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 pm

StellarX wrote:Anyone else bemused by the glaring plot hole (or at least, inconsistency) when in the opening scenes the Emojibot is happily strolling through the fields outside the city. Then, when it suits the 'plot' - the city's border seems to act as a life-saving barrier for The Doctor and Bill when pursued by the... erm... Emojibots.

Why on earth doesn't the production team spot such problems? They have weeks to consider the plots. We notice these things almost immediately.

The emojibots didn't kill the woman outside the complex. The nanobots, who were part of the actual structure, controlled the emojibots into killing those who were not happy whilst in the complex. The whole point was that the complex was created to be a perfect environment for humans to be content to live in - when the humans were ever discontent in that environment, the nanobots (via the emojibots) saw that as a failure/imperfection - so dealt with the human "problem" rather than accept it as a natural state of existence.

DSJR wrote:Tech gone amok? We get the ship's 'control centre' in the middle of a vertical void area a la Star Wars, only accessed by three or four walkways (can't remember now) and what do we find at the centre? Some steam-punk affair totally out of place with the rest of the set, let alone the 'city' and nano-tech created outside.

Sorry chaps, at least the 60's stuff never seemed quite so at odds with itself, to me at any rate...

As for the ship and control centre being of an older design...it's simple - the ship was old. It landed first with (most of) the inhabitants in hyper-sleep. The "city" came later - built by the nanobots (presumably using resources from the planet) for the inhabitants to populate. It was explained in the plot that the robotic tech was a "learning" tech (hence why it became sentient), so it would therefore constantly improve itself and would be the result of several upgrades newer than the old spacecraft.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby iank » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:32 pm

I... thought it was quite good, actually. Nothing especially original - The Happiness Patrol meets The Empty Child, basically - but quite solid and entertaining. Capaldi seems far more like the Doctor this season than he's pretty much ever been allowed to before while playing second fiddle to bloody Clara, and Bill is perfectly acceptable too. The season hasn't been amazing "best season evah!" material so far but at the moment it's the best start to a season since 2011, and I am wary but surprised and vaguely optimistic at present. 7.

Wait a minute, I thought I was a foaming-at-the-mouth hater?!!? :shock: :mrgreen:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby The Wooksta! » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:56 pm

I rather enjoyed it too. Nothing really irritated me, the visuals of the city were superb and Capaldi was excellent. Bill still grates, but not so much.

The ending felt rushed, though. As though they had too much material for the slot but not enough for a two parter.

7 from me.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Postby Miss Cathcart » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 am

It was OK. I'd give it a 6 overall, though 7-8 for Capaldi and Mackie's performances and chemistry. Looked visually stunning and I thought the emoji robots were cute. The resolution was a cop-out, though( is Moffat not aware of fans' uneasiness with the reset button thing by now, and why did he not tell the writer?). The thing was better than Frank Cottrell-Boyce's last effort. Let's hope this was one of the less good episodes this series.
Miss Cathcart

Postby Servorobot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

iank wrote:I... thought it was quite good, actually. Nothing especially original - The Happiness Patrol meets The Empty Child, basically - but quite solid and entertaining. Capaldi seems far more like the Doctor this season than he's pretty much ever been allowed to before while playing second fiddle to bloody Clara, and Bill is perfectly acceptable too. The season hasn't been amazing "best season evah!" material so far but at the moment it's the best start to a season since 2011, and I am wary but surprised and vaguely optimistic at present. 7.

Wait a minute, I thought I was a foaming-at-the-mouth hater?!!? :shock: :mrgreen:

Wait Ian, you liked it and JR Southall didn't?

This is seriously doing my head in! :?
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby richt1963 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Well there was far less Matt Lucas so that got things off to a great start. No need for Nardole if you ask me. He brings nothing required to the show and is just a one trick pony. Doctor Who should contain humorous elements at times but not - in my opinion - Comedy Characters just for the sake of comedy. Does that make sense?

I gave it 8/10 which is the highest from me for a long time as it looked great, the location was spectacular. Peter and Pearl were very very good but the solution to the issue was - once again - just the old 'magic wand / screwdriver / reset button which was a total cop out.

Next weeks I worry about as its again great big monster that no ones ever seen before taking up the whole of the Thames. We shall see I guess on Saturday. The setting and dressing looks awesome though.
richt1963

Postby paulhickling » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:52 pm

richt1963 wrote:Well there was far less Matt Lucas so that got things off to a great start. No need for Nardole if you ask me. He brings nothing required to the show and is just a one trick pony. Doctor Who should contain humorous elements at times but not - in my opinion - Comedy Characters just for the sake of comedy. Does that make sense?

I gave it 8/10 which is the highest from me for a long time as it looked great, the location was spectacular. Peter and Pearl were very very good but the solution to the issue was - once again - just the old 'magic wand / screwdriver / reset button which was a total cop out.

Next weeks I worry about as its again great big monster that no ones ever seen before taking up the whole of the Thames. We shall see I guess on Saturday. The setting and dressing looks awesome though.

Yes, your last remark coincides with my thoughts. Something very Next Doctor about it. Hope we get a better explanation for how it can be there, or is that explanation full stop?
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Amyiszygon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Awesome. For me it was just another stupid crap filler of episode. As second episodes go with new companion I really do think they missed chance of doing something more original if they chose instead to take Dalek scene we saw from first episode and expanded on it and made that into second episode. Just think. The new companion asks The Doctor to be taken into future for her first adventure inside Tardis and instead he decides to take her thousands of years into past but she doesn't realise that as they all materialise on different planet facing off against robot monsters. It's only when she gets frighten and scared and asks Doctor to be taken back home he's then force to revealed to her that they are actually in past and they have to stop them or all life in universe including her own will no longer to exist. He does all this to teach her lesson that when you have time machine, past or future, it doesn't matter where you go not when somebody past will always look like somebody future to somebody else and that if she wants to travel with him she has to first abandon her earth notions of time and learn to think like Timelord. That no matter where you are or where you are go, when you've got a time machine the universe is never too old to look after itself. Maybe I'm going on too much about it and I'm really sorry if I am but againfor me I really thought that kind of theme could be a real interesting twist to story if it's done properly. Still, personally, this episode gets a three from me ... :)
Amyiszygon

Postby Timeloopy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:46 pm

7/10

Fairly good idea with a so so resolution. Visually very pleasing and really do like Bill, been a while since a warmed to a new companion so quickly. More Matt Lucas please
Timeloopy

Postby mr borusa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Not a bad episode but suffers from the fact that's its really hard to understand what the hell is going on right until the end.

Not really clear why the emoji robots were killing people right up to the last moments.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Postby iank » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 pm

That was once upon a time known as "mystery". :roll: :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby mr borusa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 pm

iank wrote:That was once upon a time known as "mystery". :roll: :D

Trouble with moffat at the helm most of the episodes make buggar all sense and suffer from over complicated plots. Its nice to have an episode like Smile where you don't need repeated viewings to try and workout what the f*ck is going on.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Postby johnshoo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:34 pm

I can see the comparison to "Ark in Space" meets "Happiness Patrol", but I think I prefer both of those stories over this one ("Ark in Space", certainly).

It had a better ending than the magic tree episode that Frank Cottrell-Boyce previously wrote, so I'll give it props for that.

My initial reaction to the episode is that it was kind of "meh", but passable. Maybe a 6/10?
johnshoo

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 pm

The Ark In Space had considerably more sophistication in its plotline as to how the colonists could defeat the Wirrin - they tried several ways of doing it, and it made for a good action thriller because of it (plus all the supporting characters) - Tom Baker didn't just wave his sonic screwdriver and make them all blow up.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby The Krynoid Man » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Bit derivitive of other better stories, but still enjoyable. Ending was a total cop out though.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby greystone_06 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 am

shuzbot wrote:Some, but I doubt it will satisfy many. Television has moved on since the Tom Baker days and whatever Chibnall does will still be modern TV. Saying that I have never seen Broadchurch, but I have seen a couple of his Torchwood episodes and his Doctor Who ones.

Frankly though, a different kind of terrible will be a breath of fresh air. :P

Difficult to imagine anything worse than Moffat-Who. We've been stranded in the Morass of the Moffat show for what seems like forever to me. It's like some nightmarish time loop from which there is no escape. Well, escape is finally on the horizon so I'm going to grasp it like a drowning man clinging to a tree truck. I have seen Broadchurch so I know at least that Chibnall can write believable characters and that has to be a step in the right direction.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Postby lepter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:42 pm

greystone_06 wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Some, but I doubt it will satisfy many. Television has moved on since the Tom Baker days and whatever Chibnall does will still be modern TV. Saying that I have never seen Broadchurch, but I have seen a couple of his Torchwood episodes and his Doctor Who ones.

Difficult to imagine anything worse than Moffat-Who. We've been stranded in the Morass of the Moffat show for what seems like forever to me. It's like some nightmarish time loop from which there is no escape. Well, escape is finally on the horizon so I'm going to grasp it like a drowning man clinging to a tree truck. I have seen Broadchurch so I know at least that Chibnall can write believable characters and that has to be a step in the right direction.

Thing is...Moffat wrote blink and..The girl in the fireplace. Both excellent stories. I dont get what happened. I guess It's one thing being a writer, it's another to be the show runner.
lepter

Postby James-S » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:52 pm

lepter wrote:
greystone_06 wrote:

Thing is...Moffat wrote blink and..The girl in the fireplace. Both excellent stories. I dont get what happened. I guess It's one thing being a writer, it's another to be the show runner.

One has to of course also acknowledge Moff's demanding Sherlock commitments too of which, after the masterfully (co) written (despite being mostly 'updates' of Conan Doyle's work of course) phenomenally popular first two series, evidently took their toll creatively with the subsequent two series being divisively average at best. Doctor Who has demonstrably suffered a similar fate (and for the same reasons, obviously) too in recent years leaving us two once near-peerless show's in perilous decline.

Naturally it must have been an immense strain for Moff (as it would be any writer regardless of respective talent) to helm the two then undisputed jewels in the Beeb's crown and repeat such quality consistently.

In hindsight he probably should've given up one of them to devote his full energies to the other, but he didn't and has reaped the consequences accordingly, as have disenchanted viewers...
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby johnshoo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 pm

greystone_06 wrote:

I don't expect Series 11 to be significantly different from current modern Who. More likely, I expect we'll see more gradual change as Chibnall establishes himself.

Personally, I'm hoping for a direction that is a bit more grounded in terms of characters and the world(s) they exist in while telling creative and interesting sci-fi stories.
johnshoo

PreviousNext

Return to SERIES 10