10%

Total votes : 99

Rate "Thin Ice"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 am

Rate Ep.3 "Thin Ice".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Thin Ice"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Good to look at (SFX and all that) and the story wasn't bad as such, just a bit sluggish and insipid. So-so, I guess.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Turned off after 15 minutes. I've never done that with this show.

The pits.
ericthehalfabee

Postby jezt42 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Beyond awful. The season turkey (I hope).
jezt42

Postby KINGSTON FRIZZ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Best of the three so far. Warming to Bill. Feeling like RTD Era to me.
KINGSTON FRIZZ

Postby robbo13 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Meh!! Wasn't bad but better suited to CBBC. Episodes with kids in rarely float my boat.
robbo13

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Good story.

7 out of 10

I'm really warming to Bill.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Zarius » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Solid episode, Dollard's two for two I reckon.

Felt like it should have been a mid-series ep given the leaps Bill takes as a companion here

I'm going to pretend this was a pure historical.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby -JMW- » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm enjoying how the relationship between the Doctor and Bill continues to develop. Bill especially is an interesting character who asks legitimate questions.
I enjoyed the references to ye olde rascism and that these adventures aren't all one hundred percent "pleasant".
I enjoyed the jolt afforded to Bill as she witnessed the Doctor's apparent disregard for a human life when he is aware that more is at stake...and his subsequent dialogues to justify it all.

The series arc scenes featuring Nordole seemed serviceable and provided an air of foreboding, so hopefully the build up will be worthwhile - though at this point it's impossible to judge given that I don't know the details of the pay-off.

The downside....
The "monster" of the week and the brief storyline about the generations of exploitation (alluding to slavery) were just too shallow to care about. I felt the need for an expanded backstory to explain the creature's origin and that of it's captor. Some justification as to why all this odd behaviour was deemed acceptable by everyone in the vicinity. Maybe the captive should have been human beings...the "monster" seemed irrelevant.

I didn't really appreciate the Doctor seeking human "permission" to intervene in events, but maybe that is part of the pay-off.
No real wow factor for me at the end either. Maybe subsequent viewings will improve my perception of it.

6/10

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby L. Scarman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Complete and utter garbage, except for the relationship between the doctor and Bill . Hope this is as bad as it gets this year
L. Scarman

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 pm

So far we've had "some people are gay and that's fine", "slavery is a bad thing", "history is sometimes whitewashed, so here's a wishfully multicultural scene", "slavery was not in fact abolished in 1807, so we need to inform you that 7 years after the act to stop transporting slaves on British ships, it still existed", "killing people is bad"... I wonder what other themes will pop up this season? I'm hoping for:

Food banks are bad
Poverty is bad
National sausages happened and it was a bad thing
Sexual assault is bad
Lack of appropriately sized social housing is a bad thing
Transsexuals are fine
Bullying exists and is bad

What's on your wish list, Who fans?

PS it's okay for Bill to swear, that's fine
ericthehalfabee

Postby Zarius » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 pm

L. Scarman wrote:Complete and utter garbage, except for the relationship between the doctor and Bill . Hope this is as bad as it gets this year

There's been worse from years past. Classic era included.

Actually give reasons why it sucked please.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby James-S » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 pm

.....In the immortal, slightly paraphrased words of that peerless late-20th century existentialist, social commentator, patron of the arts and, er, market trader, Del Trotter: "what a load of old pony".

Given that this is Moff's (and for that matter Capaldi's) swan song on the show one would've not unreasonably expected both he and his associate writers to be making a bloody effort this time.

Three rather stagnant episodes in and the omens for the rest of the series aren't looking very good....

P.S. I just knew my somewhat cynical predictions concerning the episode's representation of history, period accuracy (not to mention the highly speculative, crudely realised ideological/political rhetoric that was an inevitable 'shoe in' given the setting) would sadly come to pass! Safest bet I ever made, unfortunately. :(
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby Rowls » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:14 pm

The swearing annoyed me and so did the historical inaccuracies.

The dialogue was excellent. As was the delivery and the interplay and interaction between Peter and Pearl.

The "whitewash" line and exchange was unnecessary and stupid.

Couldn't comment on Nathan Barley's acting because his lines and motivations were so atrociously stupid. There was a great line the other week about "evil is just hungry from the wrong side of the dinner plate" and yet this week we get served up "Racist Capitalist Toff" straight off the pantomime conveyor belt. He may as well have been called Monty Burns or Lord Farquar for all the nuance and motivation he was given.

The jarring contemporary political commentary is what detracted from this story for me. Apart from that it had real potential.

One can't help but fear how this kind of desperate and incongruous shoe-horning of black and other non-white into this story will look in a few generations time? Perhaps in 30 years time some will claim this is an egregious example of "2010s institutional racism" whereby extras were picked by the colour of their skin?

In a show where you can travel anywhere in space and time its an historic spot that simply did not need squeezing.

It's great that show can be a beacon for the dispossessed and stand up for the fringes of society but we can represent minorities more honestly and much better than this. At its worst, this came across as a parody of the kind of proportionate representation that we should be striving for.

Marks for effort - plenty
Marks for effect - few
Rowls

Postby Llamastrangler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Basic Doctor Who done very well indeed, and it works: http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot. ... e.html?m=1
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
Llamastrangler

Postby George Agdgdgwngo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 pm

An actual story for once and some nice interactions with Bill. Capaldi plays it down at least and delivers some goodlines.

However Nardole, Nardull or whatever he is called is a complete c*nt
George Agdgdgwngo

Postby shuzbot » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:11 pm

The multi-ethnicity of the cast was overdone, but apart from that I quite liked it. It was entertaining, I wasn't bored. Even the music was decent. Bill/Pearl is great, The story arc is too intrusive and Nardole has never bothered me but they should really make better use of him or why bother? Having the child die and the Doctor's detached response was rather bold. I am hoping next week will really take off, though.

Also, the fact that they never specified whether the fish thing was alien or not means you can interpret it as a pure-historical or psuedo-historical. I don't think it's either because it was never specified whether it was extra-terrestrial, IIRC.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Sid Rat » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Positives:
It looked good. The Doctor freed a captive beast, provided a home for a bunch of street urchins and stopped people from being killed i.e. made a positive difference and left things better than before, which is what he almost always did in the 'classic' series but hasn't always been the case in the 'new' series. I've never liked this 'he dare not look back' nonsense. Bill at least reacts in something akin to a realistic way to her experiences rather simply taking it all in her stride as other companions have often done.

Negatives:
The third tension-free story in a row. No clear explanation of what the beast was, where it came from, how it came to be enslaved, how the Sutcliffes learned it could secrete a super fuel, why they felt the need to feed it humans as opposed to say cattle etc. An instantly forgettable, characterless villain in Lord Sutcliffe who hardly got any screen time. In fact, there were no decent guest characters at all and that's been the case in every episode this season. The 45 - 50 minute timeframe doesn't exactly help with this, which is part of the reason why two-parters tend to be better.

One final note, how can anyone keep rating episodes 1 or 10. The former suggests that an episode is the worst ever and a 10 that it's the best. I mean this was no Power, Genesis, Talons, Empty Child/Doctor Dances or Blink but neither was it as risible as a Timelash, Love and Monsters or Fear Her.
Sid Rat

Postby The Wooksta! » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm with Shuz. I really enjoyed it. Fairly basic story told pretty reasonably, with few plot holes and some cracking dialogue.

The supposed shoe-horning of ethnic minorities didn't seem overly PC to me. As for the fascist Tory Toff. Basically, given he had about 3 minutes on screen, you can't give him much more depth than a (non-sentient) puddle. And he got eaten by his monster. Just deserts.

Sid - why feed the monster humans? It's cheaper. Plenty of lower class oiks who can be disappeared on the ice - they were warned, they ignored it. Don't forget that to the likes of Suttcliffe et al, the lower class were lower than cattle.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Postby cyberlad » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:28 am

Couldn't comment on Nathan Barley's acting because his lines and motivations were so atrociously stupid. There was a great line the other week about "evil is just hungry from the wrong side of the dinner plate" and yet this week we get served up "Racist Capitalist Toff" straight off the pantomime conveyor belt. He may as well have been called Monty Burns or Lord Farquar for all the nuance and motivation he was given.

The thing is people like Lord Sutcliffe did exist and continue to exist to this day, we see them all the time, look at Arron Banks, Robert Mercer the Koch brothers, Trump and others all out for number one, all content to throw the little man to the wolves or giant fish for their own selfish ends.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Next

Return to SERIES 10