Rate "Knock Knock"

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi

Rate "Knock Knock"

10
4
5%
9
10
12%
8
20
23%
7
18
21%
6
6
7%
5
13
15%
4
3
3%
3
6
7%
2
1
1%
1
5
6%
 
Total votes : 86

Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 am

Rate Ep.4 "Knock Knock".
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
 
Posts: 11462
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat May 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Bit of a weird old creepy one that. I rather enjoyed it. Suchet was superb.
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
 
Posts: 11462
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby Darren Lake » Sat May 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Usual great set up and duff ending for me. Enjoyed it though so I guess that's a bonus. Too many plot holes to list and making Harry Sullivan gay was just dumb and unnecessary. Seems to be riffing on past stories again too, including Ghost Light, Midnight and Fires Of Pompeii. And that ending was incredibly soap-y and underwhelming leaving way too many questions. A good solid 7 from me though.
Darren Lake
 
 
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sat May 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Oh my word - Bill's gay!
ericthehalfabee
 
 
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby KINGSTON FRIZZ » Sat May 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Best so far. Nice to have a creepy f*cked up one. Reminded me of Psycho with the Mother & Son weirdness. Also, pretty scary for smaller folk.
User avatar
KINGSTON FRIZZ
 
 
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby Zarius » Sat May 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Decent story with a few missed oppertunities, they should have held thier nerve and left Bill's mates dead. Mackie seemed to care less about them too, which hurt the ep a bit in terms of stakes. Suchette was superb, and the fact he was an unrepetant bast*rd right 'till the end was great, with his mother offering him a chance to see the world before having no choice but to take him out of it...definitely made up for the duff ending
User avatar
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby TheDentistOfDavros » Sat May 06, 2017 9:01 pm

Enjoyed this episode, 8/10. Big fan of "Ghost Light" and the tone of this one was quite similar so that was great. Suchet was brilliant and Capaldi was magnetic. Probably one of my favourite Doctors now, and he's just getting better every week!

I see Nardole is actually going to play a proper part in next week's episode (that'll be interesting).
User avatar
TheDentistOfDavros
 
 
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby cyberlad » Sat May 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Darren Lake wrote:Usual great set up and duff ending for me. Enjoyed it though so I guess that's a bonus. Too many plot holes to list and making Harry Sullivan gay was just dumb and unnecessary. Seems to be riffing on past stories again too, including Ghost Light, Midnight and Fires Of Pompeii. And that ending was incredibly soap-y and underwhelming leaving way too many questions. A good solid 7 from me though.


Except since the reference's to Harry Sullivan were cut that point is moot first not in the finished episode therefore it doesn't count, secondly their are quite a few rumours that Ian Marter was gay or possibly bisexual.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby The Wooksta! » Sat May 06, 2017 9:10 pm

I thought that was superb. Wasn't too keen on the friends being brought back, but as they'd been recently eaten, it made sense.

Where did the bugs come from? Cybermats?
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
User avatar
The Wooksta!
 
 
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: There - but I like it here

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby nonotthemindprobe » Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Pretty good again I thought, Suchet and Capaldi both terrific (even if some of the other guest cast weren't).

The whole tone of the show is massively improved this season - Capaldi has mastered his portrayal after a couple of shaky seasons, the incidental music is far more appropriate and the show actually feels like a proper drama again rather than the extended advert for merchandise it had been turning into the last 4 seasons.
User avatar
nonotthemindprobe
 
 
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby shuzbot » Sat May 06, 2017 9:16 pm

The Wooksta! wrote:I thought that was superb. Wasn't too keen on the friends being brought back, but as they'd been recently eaten, it made sense.

Where did the bugs come from? Cybermats?


And how did he come to an arrangement that he would feed them people every twenty-years?
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
User avatar
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander
 
Posts: 13548
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Timbuktu

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby Darren Lake » Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 pm

cyberlad wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:Usual great set up and duff ending for me. Enjoyed it though so I guess that's a bonus. Too many plot holes to list and making Harry Sullivan gay was just dumb and unnecessary. Seems to be riffing on past stories again too, including Ghost Light, Midnight and Fires Of Pompeii. And that ending was incredibly soap-y and underwhelming leaving way too many questions. A good solid 7 from me though.


Except since the reference's to Harry Sullivan were cut that point is moot first not in the finished episode therefore it doesn't count, secondly their are quite a few rumours that Ian Marter was gay or possibly bisexual.


So what? A large percentage of the actors who have been in the series have probably been gay. What has that got to do with their characters?

As for the references being cut out it is not a moot point as the details of the reference are being trumpeted about anyway whether they made it into the episode or not.
Darren Lake
 
 
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby -JMW- » Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Another short story which was certainly creepy, with interesting but briefly situated characters.
The concept was fine, the script was fine, the acting perfectly functional and the production values (music, visuals etc) spot on....but it pushed very few buttons for me (except for the final "arc" building moments, which seemed perfect about now - hard to tell until hindsight brings forth clarity).

The detail though...much of it seemed inconsistent or insufficiently explained...the previous tenants for example - why did they not receive a reprieve at the end?...could it be that the longer one is absorbed the less chance one can be revived? (maybe that is the answer). But then what of "mother-wood"? Why was she not restored to human form? Why was she selected to adopt wooden form in the first place?
If this really had been going on so long, and presumably tenants were the source of income and sustenance...why hadn't the authorities intervened - surely regular disappearances from a last known residence would have warranted action? (maybe the house "moved" around?)
- I may have to re-watch to grasp a few clues.

As with "Thin-Ice", I feel this one could have done with an entire middle act inserted - a formidable obstacle to overcome, a grander, more built up foe, and more of a twisting path in the story before we reach the denouement. The end did not seem "earned". (*I may levy the same accusation towards "the Pilot"...but I forgave that because of the character building aspects, and the prospect of further development of that story down the line).

I imagine some might complain with a "nobody died" brickbat, but then several died in the past two weeks and the show isn't all about death anyway.

5 out of 10

Note: This time I downloaded the "surround-sound-enhanced" version too so I'll try that later (I seem to have missed the iPlayer surround versions of the previous entries)
__________________________________________________________________________

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
__________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
-JMW-
 
 
 
Posts: 5137
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 am
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Darren Lake wrote:
cyberlad wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:Usual great set up and duff ending for me. Enjoyed it though so I guess that's a bonus. Too many plot holes to list and making Harry Sullivan gay was just dumb and unnecessary. Seems to be riffing on past stories again too, including Ghost Light, Midnight and Fires Of Pompeii. And that ending was incredibly soap-y and underwhelming leaving way too many questions. A good solid 7 from me though.


Except since the reference's to Harry Sullivan were cut that point is moot first not in the finished episode therefore it doesn't count, secondly their are quite a few rumours that Ian Marter was gay or possibly bisexual.


So what? A large percentage of the actors who have been in the series have probably been gay. What has that got to do with there characters?

As for the references being cut out it is not a moot point as the details of the reference are being trumpeted about anyway whether they made it into the episode or not.


Think all the Harry Sullivan cut references stuff came from this article didn't it?

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/artic ... s-grandson

Knock Knock sees companion Bill and her university friends go in search of a new house to share (which turns out not be as desirable as first thought). One of her new flatmates is Harry, who chats about his grandad ‘greypacking’ (that’s backpacking for older people, apparently) with his boyfriend at the Great Wall of China.

However, the writer reveals, Harry’s other grandad is UNIT surgeon, Harry Sullivan. Played by actor Ian Marter, this Harry traveled with the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith and came face-to-face with Daleks, Sontarans, Cybermen and Zygons.


If so, my reading of the article was that Harry Sullivan was the kid's other grandad (not the gay one). So y'know.
User avatar
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager
 
Posts: 11462
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Hell

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby Darren Lake » Sat May 06, 2017 10:06 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:
cyberlad wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:Usual great set up and duff ending for me. Enjoyed it though so I guess that's a bonus. Too many plot holes to list and making Harry Sullivan gay was just dumb and unnecessary. Seems to be riffing on past stories again too, including Ghost Light, Midnight and Fires Of Pompeii. And that ending was incredibly soap-y and underwhelming leaving way too many questions. A good solid 7 from me though.


Except since the reference's to Harry Sullivan were cut that point is moot first not in the finished episode therefore it doesn't count, secondly their are quite a few rumours that Ian Marter was gay or possibly bisexual.


So what? A large percentage of the actors who have been in the series have probably been gay. What has that got to do with there characters?

As for the references being cut out it is not a moot point as the details of the reference are being trumpeted about anyway whether they made it into the episode or not.


Think all the Harry Sullivan cut references stuff came from this article didn't it?

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/artic ... s-grandson

Knock Knock sees companion Bill and her university friends go in search of a new house to share (which turns out not be as desirable as first thought). One of her new flatmates is Harry, who chats about his grandad ‘greypacking’ (that’s backpacking for older people, apparently) with his boyfriend at the Great Wall of China.

However, the writer reveals, Harry’s other grandad is UNIT surgeon, Harry Sullivan. Played by actor Ian Marter, this Harry traveled with the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith and came face-to-face with Daleks, Sontarans, Cybermen and Zygons.


If so, my reading of the article was that Harry Sullivan was the kid's other grandad (not the gay one). So y'know.


Ah, I see. My bad! I just assumed that was who he was referring to. Jeez, if he just kept cocking on about his grandads no wonder they cut it out!
Darren Lake
 
 
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby JPS » Sat May 06, 2017 10:10 pm

-JMW- wrote:Another short story which was certainly creepy, with interesting but briefly situated characters.
The concept was fine, the script was fine, the acting perfectly functional and the production values (music, visuals etc) spot on....but it pushed very few buttons for me (except for the final "arc" building moments, which seemed perfect about now - hard to tell until hindsight brings forth clarity).

The detail though...much of it seemed inconsistent or insufficiently explained...the previous tenants for example - why did they not receive a reprieve at the end?...could it be that the longer one is absorbed the less chance one can be revived? (maybe that is the answer). But then what of "mother-wood"? Why was she not restored to human form? Why was she selected to adopt wooden form in the first place?
If this really had been going on so long, and presumably tenants were the source of income and sustenance...why hadn't the authorities intervened - surely regular disappearances from a last known residence would have warranted action? (maybe the house "moved" around?)
- I may have to re-watch to grasp a few clues.

As with "Thin-Ice", I feel this one could have done with an entire middle act inserted - a formidable obstacle to overcome, a grander, more built up foe, and more of a twisting path in the story before we reach the denouement. The end did not seem "earned". (*I may levy the same accusation towards "the Pilot"...but I forgave that because of the character building aspects, and the prospect of further development of that story down the line).

I imagine some might complain with a "nobody died" brickbat, but then several died in the past two weeks and the show isn't all about death anyway.

5 out of 10

Note: This time I downloaded the "surround-sound-enhanced" version too so I'll try that later (I seem to have missed the iPlayer surround versions of the previous entries)



5/10 for me too. Also agree with your comments. There were too many unanswered stuff tonight. Also, where were the creatures from ? What was the point of them ? How come nobody has noticed anything odd about the property ? How come she didn't know it was her son ?? Surely she must have seen that child grow up into the David Suchet character ? There are many plotholes in it tonight and I do find the 45 minute story frustrating. Not enough time to explain or develope anything. Capaldi fabulous though. Just wish he can have better stories.
JPS
 
 
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby Llamastrangler » Sat May 06, 2017 10:55 pm

An impressively written piece of telly, very much a story of the week (but that's no bad thing), more top notch Doctor/Bill banter and some interesting stuff being possibly seeded for later in the season. My review... http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot. ... k.html?m=1
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Llamastrangler
 
 
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 am
Location: Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby George Agdgdgwngo » Sat May 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Much better, but lacks detail and the flashbacks.....perhaps too much in the story and it needed longer than 45 minutes
George Agdgdgwngo
 

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby Sid Rat » Sun May 07, 2017 12:48 am

I largely concur with what JMW and JPS have said.

A haunted house set up is great for Doctor Who and the episode started out quite promisingly, but then as is so often the case with the 45-minute format it fell apart in the final 10 to 15 minutes as the story had to rush to reach a conclusion and leave time for the tacked on season arc scene. Yet again there were a myriad of plot holes and unanswered questions. Yet again the reset button was used.

In addition, the initial house-hunting set up was clumsy and Bill’s five housemates were devoid of any sort of character whatsoever, beyond being unbelievably stupid, so you didn’t care in the slightest what happened to them. Even Bill didn’t seem all that bothered.

It’s a shame because the premise had real potential. Early on there was a period of decent creepiness and I thought it had all the makings of a better than average story.

On a more general note, I do find it strange that when TV programmes in general and SF/Fantasy in particular have shifted away from the ‘story of the week’ format to plots that encompass multiple episodes that ‘New’ Doctor Who has largely jettisoned multi-episode stories. I’m not suggesting Doctor Who should attempt to emulate other shows because Doctor Who isn’t like other shows, not least because other shows are set largely in the same locations and feature an ensemble cast.

Doctor Who doesn’t need an arc that runs, in Doctor Who’s case loosely, through an entire season because each adventure is different; different location, different people, different type of story etc. Stories at least two episodes long allow time to establish the location and new characters, allow the story to unfold at a much better and more even pace and even give us cliffhanger endings which were such an essential part of the viewing experience with the ‘Classic’ series. You’d also think they’d be cheaper to make since there’d likely be fewer sets, props, costumes, CG models etc. required across a season allowing the budget to be stretched further.

The format of mostly single episodes loosely linked by hints of a season long story arc which only comes to the fore at the end has become rather tired after 10 seasons. I’d love to see Chibnall shake things up, jettison the season-long arcs and make lots of strong two and even three part stories instead, with single episode stories thrown in when that is the most appropriate length for them. Make them gripping and the audience will be eager to tune into the next episode, as he should know only too well from Broadchurch. I very much doubt it will happen though because Chibnall is just the latest in the existing clique of writers who has already written for the show, as well as Torchwood, and therefore isn’t the fresh blood the show is crying out for.
Sid Rat
 
 
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby cyberlad » Sun May 07, 2017 1:51 am

therefore isn’t the fresh blood the show is crying out for.


You aware that Mike Bartlett the writer of this episode is new to the series right? As for the rest of complaints it's the usual why can't the show be like it used to be when I first watched it? Also Broadchurch used a season long arc.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 am

Next

Return to SERIES 10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest