Total votes: 86
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rob Ocelot wrote:If anyone needs me I'll be at the pub."

<cue multiple rolling eyes>
Sounds like he had the meeting in the pub
JPS

David Suchet's lack of screen time due to the 45 minute story also reminds me that we will never have great characters like Nyder, Tobias Vaughn, Scorby, ect ect again BECAUSE there is no time for them. Shame.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

ericthehalfabee wrote:Oh my word - Bill's gay!

They kept that quiet.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

There’s no contradiction at all. A series arc does not automatically equal ‘gripping’ and it only keeps the audience coming back for more if it is. The arcs in Doctor Who aren’t gripping because they aren’t the focus; they’re usually tacked on to individual stories and merely exist to provide a set up to the series finale. We don’t tune in each week because we’re desperate to find out what happens next in the series arc do we? Therefore the arcs are not essential. If they are the reason you watch each week then you must be disappointed each time when the arc aspect warrants only a single scene and is barely advanced.
Except the arc has been developed over time at the end of the last episode we got a somewhat darker look at Nardole, we saw the Doctor bring it dinner, we saw it play pop goes the weasel at the thought of people dying. Secondly with regard to longer stories you are aware that series 9 was mostly two parters?
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
iank

Thought this was pretty good, actually, certainly miles better than last week's abomination. A solid horror episode with David Suchet giving good villain, spoiled only by the utterly unnecessary "bring everyone back to life" ending. :roll: FGS New Who, you finally have an episode with some decent horror content only to cop out on it at the end! This show really needs someone with actual balls running it again. Even Russell's era had more balls than this.
Even with that cop-out, though, this was probably still the best episode of series 10 so far.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
johnshoo

I largely agree with those saying it was pretty good up until the ending, which was somewhat weak. Having all of Bill's friends get revived felt like a cop out.

As expected, Suchet was great when he was on screen. Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie were rock solid once again.

I thought the effects on the mother were okay for what they were trying to accomplish.

I think the acting carried this one to a slightly higher score than I would otherwise give it. I'm feeling a 6/10 on this one.

Four decent episodes in a row. Are we sure Moffat is still in charge? ;)
Hartnell's Wig

iank wrote:Thought this was pretty good, actually, certainly miles better than last week's abomination. A solid horror episode with David Suchet giving good villain, spoiled only by the utterly unnecessary "bring everyone back to life" ending. :roll: FGS New Who, you finally have an episode with some decent horror content only to cop out on it at the end! This show really needs someone with actual balls running it again. Even Russell's era had more balls than this.
Even with that cop-out, though, this was probably still the best episode of series 10 so far.
They couldn't kill everybody because the characters were from Bill's hum-drum day-to-day life. They couldn't just stay here on Earth where the vault is with five students disappearing. That's one of the drawbacks to all the domestic "real life" stuff they supposedly have to have in NuWho.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Hartnell's Wig wrote: They couldn't kill everybody because the characters were from Bill's hum-drum day-to-day life. They couldn't just stay here on Earth where the vault is with five students disappearing.
They were just students, nobody would have noticed. :geek:
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
iank

Maybe they could have had, you know, ... a police investigation, people sniffing around, becoming suspicious of the Doctor etc. You know, actual consequences, the stuff of actual drama!
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Marco's Voice

This episode is perhaps the best example of a 'haunted house' story in Doctor Who - classic series and new. The house was magnificent, and came straight out of a horror film. The atmosphere generated was spooky, creepily efficient. The acting of a high standard. The Doctor was at his best. His companion was a rounded character. More please!
Miss Cathcart

Quite good but not as good as it had been trailed/reviewed. Capaldi and Suchet were on top form but Pearl Mackie (or rather Bill) was a little under par compared with previous weeks; I didn't find her reaction very convincing when she found the guy in the wood The whole thing just felt rushed and could have benefited from being a two-parter. Also, another story with no explanation of the origins of the aliens.

7/10.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

This was the second story filmed and Pearl had no previous acting experience so I think it's safe to say that this episode was a blip for her.
ericthehalfabee

Martin_Kinsella wrote:

They kept that quiet.
:lol:

Integral to the storyline too.
Nosey Neighbour

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
iank wrote:Thought this was pretty good, actually, certainly miles better than last week's abomination. A solid horror episode with David Suchet giving good villain, spoiled only by the utterly unnecessary "bring everyone back to life" ending. :roll: FGS New Who, you finally have an episode with some decent horror content only to cop out on it at the end! This show really needs someone with actual balls running it again. Even Russell's era had more balls than this.
They couldn't kill everybody because the characters were from Bill's hum-drum day-to-day life. They couldn't just stay here on Earth where the vault is with five students disappearing. That's one of the drawbacks to all the domestic "real life" stuff they supposedly have to have in NuWho.
You beat me to it, Wiggy.

All those disappearances would be hard for a Professor and chip girl to explain.

Another nicely told story, well played with more great visuals. Again, my entire Family sat together and enjoyed it so I count that a big success.

There have been stories and characters in previous post 2005 series which I've utterly loathed so it's great being able to look forward to Doctor Who on a Saturday night again. This has been an excellent series so far.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Nosey Neighbour wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:

All those disappearances would be hard for a Professor and chip girl to explain.
David Suchet's character seemed to get away with OK and he had been doing it since 1957. 60 years and the police never considered the landlord. Why couldn't Bill and the Doctor blame it on him? It's not up to them to give the police all the answers. All they have to say is, remember those people who went missing in 1957,1977 and 1997 - it was him and he has done it again. As the house burnt down was there anything to connect them anyway?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Good for a while, though not very scary (as soon as it started I said, I see they have enough characters to be picked off one by one, and the rest was equally predictable). I was quite gripped, even so, up to when they found Eliza and started to talk a lot, and then everyone lives again, and - yawn. Plus, everything goes completely unexplained - what did bugs do, why, what was the arrangement whereby they didn't eat David Suchet, why didn't the flatmates read the contract, how did Pavel power his turntable, etc, etc. And how come Bill decides to share a flat just so it can turn out to be haunted, anyway? And why does being the Doctor's offsider mean you stumble into those situations, rather like Poirot always turning up when there's a murder (see what I did there?) Had echoes of "Hide", which was rather better. And ... oh hell, it was all right but forgettable. Certainly not great, 7/10. Bill was very good, Capaldi was OK but labouring under the writing - but some of the writing pretty good (e.g. the "You're not my type" scene). And the plot was emmental.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Nosey Neighbour

shuzbot wrote:
Nosey Neighbour wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:

David Suchet's character seemed to get away with OK and he had been doing it since 1957. 60 years and the police never considered the landlord. Why couldn't Bill and the Doctor blame it on him? It's not up to them to give the police all the answers. All they have to say is, remember those people who went missing in 1957,1977 and 1997 - it was him and he has done it again. As the house burnt down was there anything to connect them anyway?
I look forward to watching an episode penned by your goodself very soon, Matey :D
greystone_06

Very atmospheric, let down by the usual chestnut of everybody lives. Well, not everybody, everybody current that is, but not the poor buggers who have gone before. 5 from me, not keen on the Doctor's roll as caretaker, prefer him as a wanderer myself. But I watched it through.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:

They kept that quiet.
:lol:

Integral to the storyline too.
Nah, she just said that so she didn't have to cop off with that gormless Scotsman. ;)
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Nosey Neighbour wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:

Another nicely told story, well played with more great visuals. Again, my entire Family sat together and enjoyed it so I count that a big success.

There have been stories and characters in previous post 2005 series which I've utterly loathed so it's great being able to look forward to Doctor Who on a Saturday night again. This has been an excellent series so far.
My family and I have watched all four episodes together so far. I think that's a first. :o

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information