15%
3%
7%
1%
6%

Total votes : 86

Re: Rate "Knock Knock"

Postby greystone_06 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:18 pm

-JMW- wrote:I imagine some might complain with a "nobody died" brickbat, but then several died in the past two weeks and the show isn't all about death anyway.

5 out of 10

Then don't kill them. If people die that should be final or it kills the drama.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand what was going on...

Very much an episode of two halves:

Borrowing the premise of The Copper Beeches, the house worked well at first as did Poirot, who was rather spell binding... at first.

Then the second half became rather unfathomable to me. Why 20 years? What the heck happened with the father/son switcheroo, the reveal of which made his previous sinister nature seem rather out of place. What were the bugs? How did they broker the deal? What was the deal and how does it work?

The supporting cast of student characters were great I thought; each played their roles well and this in spite of the obvious and embarrassing diversity box ticking (which included the housemates from 20 years ago!) Unfortunately their performances were hampered by yet another excuse to discuss Bill's sexuality... which was completely irrelevant to the story, and a one off visit to a little love triangle is completely and utterly pointless and wasteful in a story which desperately needed more time to be told properly (see also Thin Ice). Other than if you want to keep pointing to people how "right on" as a show runner you are.

Scores:

178 for half a spell binding job for Poirot
73 for half a good episode in terms of mystery and tension
48 for set design and realisation of the scares
-150 for rushing the ending and not explaining anything
-148 for shoehorning sexuality in for no point whatsoever

A good premise for a Doctor Who story, mind. When they get round to doing it.

Total Score = 1
ericthehalfabee

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon May 08, 2017 1:27 pm

PS I suspect the average Freshers' party in the average park consists more of doobies and rutting than laying on thousands of pounds worth of fireworks.
ericthehalfabee

Postby -JMW- » Mon May 08, 2017 2:16 pm

greystone_06 wrote:
-JMW- wrote:I imagine some might complain with a "nobody died" brickbat, but then several died in the past two weeks and the show isn't all about death anyway.

5 out of 10

Then don't kill them. If people die that should be final or it kills the drama.

The point is...they weren't killed. The never were "dead" - we just understandably assumed they were because they succumbed to the foe, and doubtless if they'd have remained absorbed then they would have actually died.

Maybe a scene explaining that life is slowly being drained from the first new victim, rather than waiting and unfolding the story, would have helped those who feel cheated.

Last week, and the week before, people died...this week they did not (well, no-one recent).
I don't see a problem there.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby Miss Cathcart » Mon May 08, 2017 3:53 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand what was going on...

Borrowing the premise of The Copper Beeches, the house worked well at first as did Poirot, who was rather spell binding... at first.

Then the second half became rather unfathomable to me. Why 20 years? What the heck happened with the father/son switcheroo, the reveal of which made his previous sinister nature seem rather out of place. What were the bugs? How did they broker the deal? What was the deal and how does it work?

The supporting cast of student characters were great I thought; each played their roles well and this in spite of the obvious and embarrassing diversity box ticking (which included the housemates from 20 years ago!) Unfortunately their performances were hampered by yet another excuse to discuss Bill's sexuality... which was completely irrelevant to the story, and a one off visit to a little love triangle is completely and utterly pointless and wasteful in a story which desperately needed more time to be told properly (see also Thin Ice). Other than if you want to keep pointing to people how "right on" as a show runner you are.

Scores:

Total Score = 1

I thought the cast of supporting actors/characters was one of the least memorable aspects of the episode. I agree that it was too rushed and that it had the makings of a good episode in there somewhere which, in the main, wasn't given the chance to come out.
Miss Cathcart

Postby Zarius » Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Under Russel, I think this sort of ep would have ended with Bill's friends either dying OR, if they were all brought back, they'd be more emotionally scarred and would shun Bill for associating herself with The Doctor.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Tue May 09, 2017 12:15 am

A gripping and creepy story that had me hooked. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

9/10
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue May 09, 2017 12:57 am

Bowtiesarecool wrote:A gripping and creepy story that had me hooked. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

9/10

Could you explain it for me? :)
ericthehalfabee

Postby paulhickling » Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 am

ericthehalfabee wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand what was going on...

Scores:

Total Score = 1

I agree with everything you say, except the low score, which I have upped from my original of 5 to 6. A second viewing has often improved new Who stories for me, and having just done a second watch I'm happier with it. Of course it's not MUCH higher because a Saturday tea time adventure drama for the masses shouldn't require more than one watch.

What improved for me was the emotional bit I felt was missing first time around. I didn't think the kids' acting was as bad as folks have made out, although Harry was a tad annoying with his bulging eyes. And all the points we agree on could have been addressed with that missing second episode. It really is that simple.

Other than the lack of enough explanation to make it totally satisfying, I had no trouble knowing what was going on. They did explain enough for the main focus of the story to work. Compared to it's obvious forbear in terms of look and feel, Ghostlight, it was bleedin' obvious. I had to wait for the writer's dvd commentary to find out what was going on in that!

Two other points. Does anyone else find that every so often Capaldi sounds a little bit like Tom? He has a nasal voice to start with, and just occasionally goes a little down the John Culshaw road towards sounding like the better Baker.

Second, the theme arrangement has grown on me. I still don't rate the cat screech of the higher part, but I do enjoy hearing the rest.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Servorobot » Tue May 09, 2017 12:49 pm

I notice the Baker tones more in the Pilot.

He seems to be either Bakerish or obviously Scottish most of the time.

Not sure if it's relevant or just an actor's homage.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby oldschool » Tue May 09, 2017 3:56 pm

paulhickling wrote:]

I agree with everything you say, except the low score, which I have upped from my original of 5 to 6. A second viewing has often improved new Who stories for me, .

I suppose in hindsight this was the best episode of the series so far so I would upgrade my initial score from one to two.
Machine Against The Rage
oldschool

Postby LizR » Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Zarius wrote:Under Russel, I think this sort of ep would have ended with Bill's friends either dying OR, if they were all brought back, they'd be more emotionally scarred and would shun Bill for associating herself with The Doctor.

Yeah, that's one aspect I think RTD would have done right, at least he was happy to kill people off even if he screwed up in various other ways.

@eric as far as I remember the mention of Bill's sexuality was literally restricted to one or maybe two lines, the guy obviously fancied her and she said he wasn't her type, she prefers girls - that was the sort of "show, don't tell" that I think works, at least we didn't get a heavy handed lecture, it was just slipped in (if you'll pardon the expression 8-) ). So I think you should give the episode an extra 148 points. (Mind you, I'd personally subtract another 147 for bringing everyone back to life at the end.)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby lordnellie » Wed May 10, 2017 10:25 am

Hmmm... I took it that the house was like a venus fly-trap for humans; they get captured and then very slowly broken down and consumed over time - in this case twenty years. Hence, once the trap was released, so were the current captives.
lordnellie

Postby -JMW- » Wed May 10, 2017 10:42 am

lordnellie wrote:Hmmm... I took it that the house was like a venus fly-trap for humans; they get captured and then very slowly broken down and consumed over time - in this case twenty years. Hence, once the trap was released, so were the current captives.

Yeah, that is what I thought too. The landlord did state that they were in the house still, and that the first victim we saw has been "preserved"...so presumably the life-force is only stored until required over a twenty year hibernation.

Given that the landlord suddenly appeared around the house unexpectedly (remarked upon by the tenants) it seems that the wood-based life-form was able to absorb and release humans at will, until it fed from them.

If the landlord went into hibernation at the same time, it's possible he retained an immaturity of mind, which would explain his behaviour.

It's a shame that these S10 stories don't take time to explore the reasoning and background that some of us have done here - we could have had the best run of the new series. The stories themselves have been excellent - so far though, they just needed time to expand the ideas and provide a little more built-up suspense to earn their endings.

Side-Note: I recall that the "Jon Pertwee Book of Monsters" featured a story about a house that ate people too...

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby Timeloopy » Wed May 10, 2017 12:41 pm

8/10, not perfect yet favourite from series 10 so far
Timeloopy

Postby mr borusa » Wed May 10, 2017 4:14 pm

iank wrote:Thought this was pretty good, actually, certainly miles better than last week's abomination. A solid horror episode with David Suchet giving good villain, spoiled only by the utterly unnecessary "bring everyone back to life" ending. :roll: FGS New Who, you finally have an episode with some decent horror content only to cop out on it at the end! This show really needs someone with actual balls running it again. Even Russell's era had more balls than this.
Even with that cop-out, though, this was probably still the best episode of series 10 so far.

Being a huge problem win nuwho every since it came back with the constant deusexmachina endings where everybody comes back to life and all the events never happened.

Still a smashing episode Apart from the poor opening episode its been a good season so far.The character of bill is starting to grow on me.
Binro was right.
mr borusa

Postby cyberlad » Thu May 11, 2017 2:54 am

Being a huge problem win nuwho every since it came back with the constant deusexmachina endings where everybody comes back to life and all the events never happened.

Apart from all the times when that didn't happen.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby LizR » Thu May 11, 2017 6:25 am

lordnellie wrote:Hmmm... I took it that the house was like a venus fly-trap for humans; they get captured and then very slowly broken down and consumed over time - in this case twenty years. Hence, once the trap was released, so were the current captives.

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable explanation. My objection, and I suspect that of others, is not that this aspect wasn't explained, or at least hinted at, it was that it didn't work dramatically.

Obviously this is only my opinion, but if we had been shown the trapped people struggling to escape, or something similar, and had known the Doctor was in a race against time to save them, that would have worked dramatically. But just having them appear at the end is, so to speak, the worst of both worlds - we didn't get the dramatic tension we might have, plus we got another "Oh, and by the way, everyone lives!"

That, in my opinion, feels like a let-down, as though there was never really any threat after all.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Allons-y » Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 pm

LizR wrote:

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable explanation. My objection, and I suspect that of others, is not that this aspect wasn't explained, or at least hinted at, it was that it didn't work dramatically.

Obviously this is only my opinion, but if we had been shown the trapped people struggling to escape, or something similar, and had known the Doctor was in a race against time to save them, that would have worked dramatically. But just having them appear at the end is, so to speak, the worst of both worlds - we didn't get the dramatic tension we might have, plus we got another "Oh, and by the way, everyone lives!"

That, in my opinion, feels like a let-down, as though there was never really any threat after all.

I agree, looked like they got eaten and then they were magiced up again at the end for (narratively) no reason at all.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby lepter » Thu May 11, 2017 7:03 pm

A late watch for me. I enjoyed that..again. 4 stories in a row.
I gave it a solid 7. Nothing more to add above what's been said. The end was its weak point. Did the doctor just leave a few thousand people eating insects at large and just run off? Reminded me of the vashta narahda just left in the library.

Solid performances though.
lepter

PreviousNext

Return to SERIES 10