6%

Total votes : 90

Rate "Oxygen"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:04 am

Rate Ep.5 "Oxygen".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Oxygen"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat May 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Thought it a rather good, tense, creepy episode that, very gripping. I enjoyed it.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat May 13, 2017 8:14 pm

10/10

Brilliant suspense.

Took my breath away. 8-)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby lordnellie » Sat May 13, 2017 8:14 pm

That was a cracker! Really enjoying this season. :D
lordnellie

Postby Zarius » Sat May 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Gripping story, some genuinally scares and a darkly comical resolution.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby shuzbot » Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm

State of the art special effects and a budget that the Classic series could only have dreamed of - and what do we get? Some bloke painted blue! Just like the good ol' days. :)

I gave this a nine. Jamie Mathieson should be showrunner next season. This series has really been quite good and I hope they keep it up. I felt Bill not really being dead was a bit of a cheat but that's more an observation than a complaint. The anti-capitalism message was a bit odd coming from a capitalist product that is designed to make money. The pre-credit scene was strange. I felt it would have aided suspense if the scene after where Nardol and The Doctor are arguing in the Tardis had been the prologue sequence.

I couldn't help wondering, Nardol drops a bolt in the first episode and in his first appearance he is decapitated suggesting that he is now mostly machine so did he really need oxygen? He must have done but I am curious as to how his resurrection works.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby DSJR » Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm

For the first time in ages with this show, I wasn't really aware of time passing. Murray Gold's score was badly used I thought, once again 'telling us' how to feel here and there and again I think a two parter could have built suspense even more, but overall I liked it and gave it a solid 7/10
DSJR

Postby DarachAnLaoch » Sat May 13, 2017 8:32 pm

It was good. But then I realise I only think its good by Steven Moffat era standards. Then I'm left with a feeling of disappointment because of the wasted potential. It was good, but it could have been great! Every episode suffers from the same problems - the pace, the lack of developed characters and the nadir of every story: the cringe attempts at humour. Almost every other line was trying to be funny and failed and I just think of what could have been achieved had they spent these precious seconds ramping up the tension and fleshing out characters (thereby amplifying the tension further because we're invested in and fear for those characters.) On the whole, however, this series is so far watchable and enjoyable and is a huge step up from what we've been served from 2012 onwards, and that's encouraging for the future.
DarachAnLaoch

Postby TheDentistOfDavros » Sat May 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Really great story 9/10.

shuzbot wrote: I couldn't help wondering, Nardol drops a bolt in the first episode and in his first appearance he is decapitated suggesting that he is now mostly machine so did he really need oxygen? He must have done but I am curious as to how his resurrection works.

Yeah I was wondering how that worked as well.
TheDentistOfDavros

Postby StellarX » Sat May 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Great episode - sharp script and tight, suspenseful plot (shame about the lame denouement). A solid 8.
StellarX

Postby -JMW- » Sat May 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Another short story...but an enjoyable one, suited to the length.
Characters and their interactions felt natural, the story felt expansive enough, and the space setting was more than adequate production-wise.

The final moments were also interesting and foreboding. I hope next weeks events live up to this build up.

*Nordle seems bio-mechanical, so although he can swap "parts" probably still requires conditions suitable for the human parts of him.

9/10

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby Sid Rat » Sat May 13, 2017 11:38 pm

This was the best episode of the series so far for me, despite the ‘capitalism is evil’ ranting. It was a good solid outing with some actual tension and jeopardy.

Capaldi’s Doctor has been much more likeable this season and Bill’s first reaction to encountering a dead body was refreshing… let’s go back to the TARDIS and get the hell out of here! The companion actually being scared rather than taking things in their stride is a big plus for me, although her reaction to expecting to die could have been a bit stronger. The Doctor’s line “The Universe shows its true face when it asks for help, and we show ours by how we respond.” was a good one, reminiscent of the Second Doctor’s “There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things, things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought.” There were a few occasions when I struggled to catch the odd line of dialogue.

The story didn’t seem to have lots of obvious plot holes or leave as many unanswered questions as previous ones. Destroying the sonic screwdriver prevented it from being the catch-all solution to problems and avoided its non-use from becoming an issue later in the episode. One element I was a little confused about was if all three of the suits worn by the Doctor, Bill and Nardole required repair, why was only Bill’s notably faulty?
Sid Rat

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun May 14, 2017 12:43 am

How desperate is this show to lecture?! Seriously!!

I can't remember if capitalism was on my sarcastic list after episode 1, but it should have been.

And like liderally OMG... Bill's black!! Who knew????

A crying shame for a good looking production, but this is now beyond a joke.

1/10. I don't wish to be lectured.
ericthehalfabee

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun May 14, 2017 2:10 am

Bowtiesarecool wrote:10/10

Brilliant suspense.

Took my breath away. 8-)

Yeah, it was a bit of a blinder wasn't it.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby thecypher » Sun May 14, 2017 2:15 am

"Great...we rescued a racist."

What. The. Hell.

Seriously...I mean, they just can't do it, can they? They cannot go an episode without having to mention something PC-related. Blue people have been in Doctor Who before...the only thing Rose said at the time was "He's blue"...we didn't have have a mini-discussion about skin colour/racism, and no "Some of my friends are blue-ish". Seriously, pathetic.

Right, now that's out of the way...down to business. This episode was over-hyped. It went way too quickly, but on the plus side, at least the dead people stayed dead this time...also, Bill was acting dead so why wasn't she awake during the zombie stuff? What did The Doctor do to bring her "back to life"?

I just...I don't even have the words for it.

I hate Doctor Who....

4/10.

Ps. Remind me never to be optimistic ever again...
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby Rowls » Sun May 14, 2017 2:21 am

Fantastic stuff. 9/10

Mathieson really knows how to pace a story and keep it moving on. Just as in the tagline - he didn't waste a breath there.

My only gripe would have been the silly anti-capitalism. I long for the day when there aren't any more needless leftie metropolitan politics jammed into Dr Who.

Unlike the pointless lacing of Victorian England with black people (and the unforgivable line about "whitewashing") in Thin Ice, the story was good enough for this not to spoil the episode. Still, I'd rather it wasn't there.

Mathieson needs to write more Dr Who.
Rowls

Postby Dragonsire » Sun May 14, 2017 2:34 am

Better than the last episode 7/10.

Could have done without the racist in the room agenda crap.
Dragonsire

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun May 14, 2017 2:49 am

Rowls wrote:Mathieson needs to write more Dr Who.

That might be awhile going by what Mathieson said in a Reddit AMA thingy.

The phone hasn't rung and I don't think it will. My understanding is that Chris is sticking with a team he's got used to working with on Broadchurch. Which makes absolute sense and frankly why wouldn't you? I am looking forward to seeing how he writes for the Doctor we leave him with, which I understand from Steven will still be blind, cursed to continually hop on one leg and unable to speak in anything but rhyming couplet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/6 ... ?context=3
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Rowls » Sun May 14, 2017 2:53 am

Dragonsire wrote:Better than the last episode 7/10.
Could have done without the racist in the room agenda crap.

I'm highly sensitive to needless PC crap but this line didn't strike me that way.

In Thin Ice, the PC-ness spoiled the episode for me. Making a high percentage of Victorian London black was dishonest and needless. The line about "whitewashing" was disingenuous and potentially incendiary. Certainly highly insensitive at a minimum given how charged these political matters become. I do hope there aren't young viewers imagining that Victorian London was a multi-racial melting pot the way it is now and that the only thing that prevents history recording this is the "whitewashing" of implausibly stupid racist white toffs.

But tonight's line wasn't like that for me.

It was funny - Bill sees somebody who is blue and is taken aback by it. He makes an assumption based on her reaction - the *wrong* assumption. It works well within the confines of the story.

It certainly didn't come across as preachy to me. In fact, it can be taken the other way round. *We* all know that Bill is not a "racist" and yet all too often that accusation gets bandied around in the way it was levelled at Bill. I'd perhaps like to have seen her a bit more irate at the blue guy but the point is he accused her of racism without knowing anything about her. There's a lesson there and it's isn't a stereotypical metropolitan PC message.

It's closer to "think before you call somebody a racist" than anything else.
Rowls

Postby SeaDevil » Sun May 14, 2017 7:08 am

Really enjoying this series, probably the best since Moffat took over. My expectations weren't high at the start and I had managed to avoid all spoilers, tho hard to miss the spoilers in the 'next time trailers!

Capaldi for me is the best of the NuWho Doctors and he's really in his stride this series and Bill is such a refreshing change from past Moffat companions, the loud and brash Amy and know it all smug Clara. I hope Bill gets the opportunity to stick around longer than this series.

The episode was great fun, tense and well paced. Extremely well written though I was a little concerned when it opened with 'space, the final frontier........'

I finally got my youngest daughter, who has been in mourning since the departure of Matt Smith (tho her fave remains David Tennant) to watch last weeks episode which she enjoyed, I'm hoping to finally convert her to the strengths of Capaldi on the back of this episode.....8/10.
SeaDevil

Next

Return to SERIES 10