6%

Total votes: 90
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

thecypher wrote:"Great...we rescued a racist."

What. The. Hell."
She is lucky The Doctor didn't punch her in the face. :6doctor:
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
thecypher

shuzbot wrote:
thecypher wrote:"Great...we rescued a racist."

What. The. Hell."
She is lucky The Doctor didn't punch her in the face. :6doctor:
But then he'd be racist AND sexist, so he would have to punch himself in the face..! :lol:
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
George Agdgdgwngo

DarachAnLaoch wrote:It was good. But then I realise I only think its good by Steven Moffat era standards. Then I'm left with a feeling of disappointment because of the wasted potential. It was good, but it could have been great! Every episode suffers from the same problems - the pace, the lack of developed characters and the nadir of every story: the cringe attempts at humour. Almost every other line was trying to be funny and failed and I just think of what could have been achieved had they spent these precious seconds ramping up the tension and fleshing out characters (thereby amplifying the tension further because we're invested in and fear for those characters.) On the whole, however, this series is so far watchable and enjoyable and is a huge step up from what we've been served from 2012 onwards, and that's encouraging for the future.
THIS ^

Much better season (although Missy is coming), still too much self congratulation praise of the characters happening in these episodes. Look at me.
Llamastrangler

A fifth quality episode in a row which is definitely on the side of the workers, also starting to advance the arc more. Good stuff: http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot. ... n.html?m=1
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Well that wasn't that bad.

Firstly the not so good. I agree with Eric and the PC brigade, the racist stuff is starting to be laid on a bit with a trowel and is becoming a bit tedious. Trying to flip it around with Bill was a cunning move, but still doesn't really disguise it. The message is much stronger if it's done subtlety, not belting us around the face with a sledgehammer.

Moffat probably doesn't agree with Blake's7 rewatch and is trying to make some sort of point about the Blake's7 rewatch campaign run by The Sun or UKIP or something, but as I don't give a f*ck about Blake's7 rewatch and any message Moffat may be trying to make is being wasted by constantly shoving it down our throats.

Give it a rest Steve, we get your point.

I didn't mind the capitalism bit, after all look at what's President of America. Greed sure is very much in at the moment. You can make comments about that, just not every episode please.

Other than that it was a creepy, tech gone mad, but still being directed by greedy humans type of cautionary tale.

And Missy's not in the vault as she's in next week's episode. Simm's looking good for that honour.

Not bad.

7/10
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Bowtiesarecool wrote:10/10

Brilliant suspense.

Took my breath away. 8-)
:lol:
I thought that was very good. Not sure how the resolution worked exactly, but I'm sure I'll work it out eventually. And they didn't bring everyone back to life!
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

TheDentistOfDavros wrote:Really great story 9/10.
shuzbot wrote: I couldn't help wondering, Nardol drops a bolt in the first episode and in his first appearance he is decapitated suggesting that he is now mostly machine so did he really need oxygen? He must have done but I am curious as to how his resurrection works.
Yeah I was wondering how that worked as well.
Me too, or three. I was expecting him to not need a space helmet and hence rescue Bill.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Rowls wrote:But tonight's line wasn't like that for me.

It was funny - Bill sees somebody who is blue and is taken aback by it. He makes an assumption based on her reaction - the *wrong* assumption. It works well within the confines of the story.

It certainly didn't come across as preachy to me. In fact, it can be taken the other way round. *We* all know that Bill is not a "racist" and yet all too often that accusation gets bandied around in the way it was levelled at Bill. I'd perhaps like to have seen her a bit more irate at the blue guy but the point is he accused her of racism without knowing anything about her. There's a lesson there and it's isn't a stereotypical metropolitan PC message.

It's closer to "think before you call somebody a racist" than anything else.
Yeah, that was "show don't tell" - we just see the scene and draw our (varied) conclusions, which is light years better than having something spelled out or hammered home.

The anti-capitalism thing grated a bit because (a) it was in "Alien" and lots of things since, (b) it was in "Mummy on the OE", so JM's done that one, and (c) it's too simplistic. I mean, it doesn't seem to make sense in context - If the suits can do the job on their own, why have a crew? And if they can't, why kill off the crew? But that was a fairly small niggle, given how well the rest of the story worked.

Hartnell's Wig

Worst episode of the current run for me. Ham fisted writing, story went nowhere. Performances were fine it was just a bit cack handed.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

LizR wrote:
Rowls wrote:But tonight's line wasn't like that for me.

It was funny - Bill sees somebody who is blue and is taken aback by it. He makes an assumption based on her reaction - the *wrong* assumption. It works well within the confines of the story.

It certainly didn't come across as preachy to me. In fact, it can be taken the other way round. *We* all know that Bill is not a "racist" and yet all too often that accusation gets bandied around in the way it was levelled at Bill. I'd perhaps like to have seen her a bit more irate at the blue guy but the point is he accused her of racism without knowing anything about her. There's a lesson there and it's isn't a stereotypical metropolitan PC message.

It's closer to "think before you call somebody a racist" than anything else.
Yeah, that was "show don't tell" - we just see the scene and draw our (varied) conclusions, which is light years better than having something spelled out or hammered home.

The anti-capitalism thing grated a bit because (a) it was in "Alien" and lots of things since, (b) it was in "Mummy on the OE", so JM's done that one, and (c) it's too simplistic. I mean, it doesn't seem to make sense in context - If the suits can do the job on their own, why have a crew? And if they can't, why kill off the crew? But that was a fairly small niggle, given how well the rest of the story worked.
Yeah, it sort of put me in mind of any Alien film you can name, but greed is in so it gets another run.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hartnell's Wig wrote:Worst episode of the current run for me. Ham fisted writing, story went nowhere. Performances were fine it was just a bit cack handed.
How did not go anywhere? Everything made sense.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

LizR wrote:If the suits can do the job on their own, why have a crew? And if they can't, why kill off the crew? But that was a fairly small niggle, given how well the rest of the story worked.
I may be misremembering, but the suits could only do menial tasks like shifting boxes and the rescue team were actually robots to replace them. Or have I got that wrong somewhere?
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
thecypher

Servorobot wrote:And Missy's not in the vault as she's in next week's episode. Simm's looking good for that honour
Or maybe The Doctor lets her out...after all, if my previous incarnation were locked up in a vault, my first instinct would be to free them...or me...whatever. I reckon the Doc is gonna let her out cus he's blind and is just gonna let her solve everything :D
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

thecypher wrote:
Servorobot wrote:And Missy's not in the vault as she's in next week's episode. Simm's looking good for that honour
Or maybe The Doctor lets her out...after all, if my previous incarnation were locked up in a vault, my first instinct would be to free them...or me...whatever. I reckon the Doc is gonna let her out cus he's blind and is just gonna let her solve everything :D
Maybe, but why show your hand halfway through the season.

No more outlandish theories from bloggers etc. Seems a bit mean spirited from Moff if you're right.

Besides Bill's going to step up to the plate because she's suddenly going to realise she's actually Susan!

I should have a blog. 8-)
thecypher

Servorobot wrote:
thecypher wrote:

No more outlandish theories from bloggers etc. Seems a bit mean spirited from Moff if you're right.

Besides Bill's going to step up to the plate because she's suddenly going to realise she's actually Susan!

I read this on another thread, but:
Rumour has it that this series has been split into two story arcs...from 'The Pilot' to 'Extremis', the arc is "What's In The Vault?", and Missy is revealed to be inside the vault during Extremis (evidenced by some scenes in the first Series 10 trailer) The second story arc has already begun in 'Oxygen', with The Doctor becoming blind. His blindness persists until 'The Lie of the Land', where he is killed and his regeneration begins. Naturally, his eyes will probably start to heal first and so the rest of the series focuses on his ongoing regeneration. That's my theory combined with a few others I have seen, but that is how I believe it is going to pan out..
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

thecypher wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
thecypher wrote:

I read this on another thread, but:
Rumour has it that this series has been split into two story arcs...from 'The Pilot' to 'Extremis', the arc is "What's In The Vault?", and Missy is revealed to be inside the vault during Extremis (evidenced by some scenes in the first Series 10 trailer) The second story arc has already begun in 'Oxygen', with The Doctor becoming blind. His blindness persists until 'The Lie of the Land', where he is killed and his regeneration begins. Naturally, his eyes will probably start to heal first and so the rest of the series focuses on his ongoing regeneration. That's my theory combined with a few others I have seen, but that is how I believe it is going to pan out..
Very possible.

There are so many theories flying about at the moment it's hard to keep track of them all.

Obviously most people have given up on Phil Morris and looked elsewhere.

At least we'll know if this one's correct next week.
Hartnell's Wig

Zarius wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:Worst episode of the current run for me. Ham fisted writing, story went nowhere. Performances were fine it was just a bit cack handed.
Charging a fee for oxygen for workers who weren't needed anyway makes sense?
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
-JMW-

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
Zarius wrote:
It does if the humans cost less than the tech costs to use, maintain and replace...such as many companies do today in "employing" prisoners and those in the third world. We do not know exactly what capacity all of the humans worked in either. As demonstrated, some of them were there to service the machines....maybe all of them were.

Without incurring great expense, machines can be limited in capacity to simple tasks whereas humans can make intuitive and immediate decisions based on a range of even unforeseen factors.

The political climate on Earth may also be such that "employing" humans is a PR necessity...even if some of them do die. Replacing people with tech is a gradual process, which is occurring right now.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

I can't stand self righteous sanctimonious politically correct condescending know it alls so is it alright for me to punch them in the face, Mr.Moffat ?
Machine Against The Rage
Hartnell's Wig

-JMW- wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:
Zarius wrote:
It does if the humans cost less than the tech costs to use, maintain and replace...such as many companies do today in "employing" prisoners and those in the third world. We do not know exactly what capacity all of the humans worked in either. As demonstrated, some of them were there to service the machines....maybe all of them were.

Without incurring great expense, machines can be limited in capacity to simple tasks whereas humans can make intuitive and immediate decisions based on a range of even unforeseen factors.

The political climate on Earth may also be such that "employing" humans is a PR necessity...even if some of them do die. Replacing people with tech is a gradual process, which is occurring right now.
Sorry but if there's political value in employing people, it would be wiped out by killing off the entire workforce every so often, as they could never keep writing it off as accidents.

It's a crappy plot with no logic.

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information