2%
7%
2%
1%
6%

Total votes : 90

Re: Rate "Oxygen"

Postby chap with wings » Sun May 14, 2017 8:29 pm

That was rather good - didn't expect the Doctor to stay blind, really shocked. Capaldi owns the part, such a shame he is being allowed to play the Doctor his way in his last season. Any chance he can stay on?
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby greystone_06 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:05 pm

It was good by the standards of MoffatWho, very good when placed on that scale. This season has shown much improvement; too little too late for me, but still good to see. 7 from me.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Postby greystone_06 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:14 pm

oldschool wrote:I can't stand self righteous sanctimonious politically correct condescending know it alls so is it alright for me to punch them in the face, Mr.Moffat ?

Now that would be worth the licence fee :lol:
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Postby Nosey Neighbour » Sun May 14, 2017 10:13 pm

This series has been good enough to engage the whole family who have watched each episode live.

Dad enjoyed it, kids got bored and I'll be checking the bedroom windows are locked properly because the lady of the house hated all the political correctness and her comments were strangely prescient of Eric's when I read these pages later......

Good special effects, more Capaldi excellence and he definitely helps Nardol and Bill slipstream in his wake. I hope the standard remains high. Who is this Morris bloke anyway?
Nosey Neighbour

Postby cyberlad » Sun May 14, 2017 10:46 pm

thecypher wrote:"Great...we rescued a racist."

What. The. Hell.

Seriously...I mean, they just can't do it, can they? They cannot go an episode without having to mention something PC-related. Blue people have been in Doctor Who before...the only thing Rose said at the time was "He's blue"...we didn't have have a mini-discussion about skin colour/racism, and no "Some of my friends are blue-ish". Seriously, pathetic.

Right, now that's out of the way...down to business. This episode was over-hyped. It went way too quickly, but on the plus side, at least the dead people stayed dead this time...also, Bill was acting dead so why wasn't she awake during the zombie stuff? What did The Doctor do to bring her "back to life"?

I just...I don't even have the words for it.

I hate Doctor Who....

4/10.

Ps. Remind me never to be optimistic ever again...

You know it's amazing how people who go on about snowflakes, tend to act like snowflakes themselves.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby iank » Sun May 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Blow me down, another good episode! In fact, this was even better than last week's as it didn't cop out and bring all the dead crew members back to life at the end. A very solid and entertaining horror episode with a good SF rationale behind it all, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm really starting to like Nardole too!
Holy crap, I'm enjoying current Who at the moment. Wow. It's been so long it almost feels like a new experience! :o :lol:

Typical that the ratings are going through the floor as it starts getting watchable again though! :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby cyberlad » Sun May 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
Zarius wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:Worst episode of the current run for me. Ham fisted writing, story went nowhere. Performances were fine it was just a bit cack handed.

How did not go anywhere? Everything made sense.

Charging a fee for oxygen for workers who weren't needed anyway makes sense?

It's explained in the episode, the suits only kill the workers when their usefulness is over. The point of the episode is when you take something like capitalism to it's logical extreme this is the result.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Sun May 14, 2017 11:23 pm

But an empty suit was working in the facility when the TARDIS crew arrived. If the suits could walk around on their own, lift things and carry stuff about and load or unload things, as that suit was, and have some degree of AI, why would you need people at all? It's bollocks.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby LizR » Sun May 14, 2017 11:27 pm

shuzbot wrote:
LizR wrote:If the suits can do the job on their own, why have a crew? And if they can't, why kill off the crew? But that was a fairly small niggle, given how well the rest of the story worked.

I may be misremembering, but the suits could only do menial tasks like shifting boxes and the rescue team were actually robots to replace them. Or have I got that wrong somewhere?

Yeah, it may have been explained - I couldn't catch everything they said towards the end. I do think the message was heavy handed, to say the least. And as for the two survivors protesting - well, if capitalism hasn't been stopped by all the disasters it's had so far, I can't see that making a dent. In fact the whole "kill of the crew/charge them for air" thing would have made more sense if they were, say, convicts being forced to do the work, or in some sort of slavery situation.

And I could have done without the little hagiography from the Doctor - "I'll save you and you won't know who I am" etc.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby shuzbot » Sun May 14, 2017 11:37 pm

iank wrote:Blow me down, another good episode! In fact, this was even better than last week's as it didn't cop out and bring all the dead crew members back to life at the end. A very solid and entertaining horror episode with a good SF rationale behind it all, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm really starting to like Nardole too!
Holy crap, I'm enjoying current Who at the moment. Wow. It's been so long it almost feels like a new experience! :o :lol:

Typical that the ratings are going through the floor as it starts getting watchable again though! :roll:

You old Nu Who apologist, you ;)
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby iank » Sun May 14, 2017 11:42 pm

That's me! :lol:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Rob Ocelot » Mon May 15, 2017 1:53 am

9/10 -- That was a corker! Much better than my prediction last week based on the preview.

*Still not sure what the suits were doing to kill the wearers, looked like an electrical arc at first but the black lines on the skin looked and behaved exactly like the neurotropic virus the Cybermen were using in THE MOONBASE -- hmm, and there's a classic Mondas Cybermen apperance later on in the series. There's really not much difference between a corpse inside a robotic exoskeleton spacesuit and a TENTH PLANET Cyberman, is there?

*Lots of nice interesting visual touches, the LCD readout screens being in penny-saving B&W (gets the job done, doesn't look pretty). Lots of Nerva Beacon vibes in the outside/establishing shots and also the corridors/bulkheads.

*Capaldi is definitely intoning some lines with a very Tom Baker-esque cadence, and some of the reactions are very Baker too. I'm glad he's being allowed to stretch his muscles and play the Doctor his way.

*Nardole putting on a suit was probably so he wouldn't stick out or scare the station survivors. It's called "blending in". He may also have organic or organometallic components that are just as vulnerable to vacuum as human flesh.

*So the Doctor tasked Nardole to be his minder/keeper over the last 50 years... almost like a robotic equivalent of a meeting reminder. I find it hard to believe the Doctor spent 50 years not going for a nip in the TARDIS though.

*I know we've seen the TARDIS force field acting like an air pocket before, but it now seems to be doing something completely new... (just like classic Doctor Who! :lol: )

*There's an old Native American prophecy that states once people begin to sell the air and water as commodities then the end of the world is near and nothing can stop it. This episode makes some pretty bold statements about why capitalism doesn't work in the long run. Killing off the crew could be viewed as the ultimate outsourcing solution...
Rob Ocelot

Postby Dragonsire » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 am

Rowls wrote:
Dragonsire wrote:Better than the last episode 7/10.
Could have done without the racist in the room agenda crap.

I'm highly sensitive to needless PC crap but this line didn't strike me that way.

In Thin Ice, the PC-ness spoiled the episode for me. Making a high percentage of Victorian London black was dishonest and needless. The line about "whitewashing" was disingenuous and potentially incendiary. Certainly highly insensitive at a minimum given how charged these political matters become. I do hope there aren't young viewers imagining that Victorian London was a multi-racial melting pot the way it is now and that the only thing that prevents history recording this is the "whitewashing" of implausibly stupid racist white toffs.

But tonight's line wasn't like that for me.

It was funny - Bill sees somebody who is blue and is taken aback by it. He makes an assumption based on her reaction - the *wrong* assumption. It works well within the confines of the story.

It certainly didn't come across as preachy to me. In fact, it can be taken the other way round. *We* all know that Bill is not a "racist" and yet all too often that accusation gets bandied around in the way it was levelled at Bill. I'd perhaps like to have seen her a bit more irate at the blue guy but the point is he accused her of racism without knowing anything about her. There's a lesson there and it's isn't a stereotypical metropolitan PC message.

It's closer to "think before you call somebody a racist" than anything else.

She makes a point of saying she's not racist, and that she usually on the receiving end and that looks shocked when the blue guy cant understand why she would be..Again pushing a narrative that if your black or gay or both people are more likely to be mean to you. It's garbage. I want to watch a show and enjoy the adventure not the constant it's okay to be...insert here.

What did it add to the story? Nothing. How many times has she mentioned her sexuality preference now? We get it, your black, gay and a woman, who like women..let's move on.
Dragonsire

Postby Miss Cathcart » Mon May 15, 2017 8:15 am

I liked it. probably the best episode of this series so far. The dark, creepy tone worked and I thought the "dead" crew members looked very scary and surely would have frightened the kids. Capaldi was on top form.

Bad points: the PC lecturing about race and the forced humour in the first half, especially from Nardole. He was in this more than in the previous episodes and I ended up wishing he hadn't been.

7/10.
Miss Cathcart

Postby LizR » Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 am

Dragonsire wrote:What did it add to the story? Nothing. How many times has she mentioned her sexuality preference now? We get it, your black, gay and a woman, who like women..let's move on.

Still, this is quite subtle compared to most of "Torchwood" and RTD's first series of "Doctor Who".
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby thecypher » Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am

LizR wrote:
Dragonsire wrote:What did it add to the story? Nothing. How many times has she mentioned her sexuality preference now? We get it, your black, gay and a woman, who like women..let's move on.

Still, this is quite subtle compared to most of "Torchwood" and RTD's first series of "Doctor Who".

Really? I think it is more prominent now that it was back then..
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby Servorobot » Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am

Gay women tend to like women, or so I would have thought.

I don't remember anything about her being gay in this episode, I must have missed that.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby LizR » Mon May 15, 2017 10:55 am

thecypher wrote:
LizR wrote:quite subtle compared to most of "Torchwood" and RTD's first series of "Doctor Who".

Try this on for size, so to speak. It was more overt than anything Bill's got up to so far, I'd say.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Jack_Harkness_(Torchwood_episode)

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Servorobot » Mon May 15, 2017 11:14 am

LizR wrote:
thecypher wrote:
LizR wrote:quite subtle compared to most of "Torchwood" and RTD's first series of "Doctor Who".

Try this on for size, so to speak. It was more overt than anything Bill's got up to so far, I'd say.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Jack_Harkness_(Torchwood_episode)

No snogging or dancing between Bill and Heather then.

Just a few wistful looks.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby shuzbot » Mon May 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Servorobot wrote:Just a few wistful looks.

They're the worst kind of look! :x
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

PreviousNext

Return to SERIES 10