2%
7%
2%
1%
6%

Total votes : 90

Re: Rate "Oxygen"

Postby nosfer2 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Finally collected my thoughts on this episode: as a long-term viewer, I liked the way the space station shots were reminiscent of Trial of a Timelord, the base under siege storyline reminded me of the 2nd Doctor era, the discussion about capitalism made me think of the 3rd Doctor era, the Doctor's mannerisms made me think of Tom Baker, and his selfless actions were like the 5th Doctor saving Peri at the expense of his own life.
nosfer2

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby shuzbot » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:15 pm

https://brianofmorbius.wordpress.com/20 ... ail-10-05/
Space. It’ll kill you if you don’t tread carefully. Lucky you’ve got me on hand, eh? Come with me now, because we’re going to explore the murky and sinister world of ‘Oxygen’ – a tale of corporate greed and sentient workwear, but also replete with IMPORTANT CLUES AND SIGNS that indicate the delights (and the horrors) that still await us.

This week, you’ll find it’s mostly about the First Doctor. Let’s take a look at that skull.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Paolo_Sammut » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:43 pm

In retrospect it is interesting how "dead" Bill in a biomechanical suit foreshadowed things to come in World Enough and time
Paolo_Sammut

Postby Natalia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 pm

This seemed like a remake of earlier episodes too. I forgot how bad this series really was until I started these polls!
I gave it a 2 rating.
Natalia

Postby Plain Old Dave » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Story: A good, old fashioned space station story on the surface, but with an unseemly Euro anti-free market screed overlaid. What happened to the Nation that gave the world Adam Smith and the Invisible Hand? Pretty well written, and a one-and-done bad guy. Something I'm really enjoying in Season 10 is there have been almost NO classic baddies, and Moffatt has been admirably stifling his obsession with story arcs and Byzantine plot devices.

Plot: This is the most suspenseful show yet this season. Bill's terror is palpable. This is HINCHCLIFFE-level terror. No plodding, an hour of hammer down.

The Doctor: I really like how he's warming up without being "troubled" like Tennant or Smith were in so much of their runs.

Bill: I really thought this was her last show for a minute. Well done, very believable terror.

Effects: The 'zombie' crewmembers could stand to be less cartoonish. They reminded me of NuWho Cybermen. The inset shots of the computer trying to find Section 12 were well-done and added to the suspense.

Overall, an interesting twist on the classis space station chase story. Seven for the anti-free market screed. Eight without. If I want to be preached at, I'll go to church. DW is so much more enjoyable when they leave the politics to politicians.
Plain Old Dave

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:02 pm

You can now have a bog at the script for Oxygen via the BBC Writers Room doings if it takes your fancy.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/ ... Oxygen.pdf
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:25 pm

I thought this was the possibly the best episode in this series so far - it was a fairly convincing outer space scenario.
The only thing that made me groan a bit was Bill being killed, twice, and turning out not to be dead after all.
Matt Lucas keeps giving the same performance as when he's doing Marjorie Dawes from Fat Fighters though.
Bet you any money the Doctor isn't really blind at all, though 8-)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:28 pm

TheDentistOfDavros wrote:Really great story 9/10.

shuzbot wrote: I couldn't help wondering, Nardol drops a bolt in the first episode and in his first appearance he is decapitated suggesting that he is now mostly machine so did he really need oxygen? He must have done but I am curious as to how his resurrection works.

Yeah I was wondering how that worked as well.

I remain baffled by this too. He also had a line about "she left me for an AI", which again made me think he was some kind of computer program too (which would explain his curiously autistic reaction to everything)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Sid Rat wrote:This was the best episode of the series so far for me, despite the ‘capitalism is evil’ ranting.

Make sure you never watch Colony in Space 8-)
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Servorobot wrote:. I agree with Eric and the PC brigade, the racist stuff is starting to be laid on a bit with a trowel and is becoming a bit tedious. Trying to flip it around with Bill was a cunning move, but still doesn't really disguise it. The message is much stronger if it's done subtlety, not belting us around the face with a sledgehammer.

Yeah, they should get in actors of the calibre of Sophie Aldred to tackle racism instead :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:35 pm

LizR wrote: If the suits can do the job on their own, why have a crew? And if they can't, why kill off the crew?

I took that to mean that suits have a steady known, programmed efficiency, whereas humans have an unpredictability which can sometimes deliver better results. But if a particular crew don't work out, it just kills them (rather than sack them). To be honest, these things are maybe don't better as black comedy rather than all 'preachy'.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.5 "Oxygen".

When the Doctor, Bill and Nardole become trapped on a space station without oxygen, they discover the spacesuits are trying to kill them.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to SERIES 10