17%
5%
10%
5%
2%
11%

Total votes: 82
dave hoskin

Servorobot wrote:In the end Bill makes a silly decision for love (but haven't we all, it's just ours don't screw the whole world) and our Star Monk friends come over all Monoid on us with dirty great statues of themselves everywhere (egotistical bast*rds).
There's another fella who puts up whacking great statues of himself in Earths-of-the-future that black companions are left to negotiate without the Doctor. And he's knocking around the place somewhere, isn't he...?
Hartnell's Wig

Complete sh*t
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Sid Rat

I found that... distinctly average. I didn't find it gripping at all. After last week's 'set up' episode I was hoping this one would really drive the story forward, but not a lot seemed to happen and what did occur was pretty daft.

As lepter pointed out the biolab was pathetic. Humans don't deserve to survive if we're so stupid as to staff such potentially dangerous places with only two people and operate such poor containment/disaster procedures! Could the BBC not afford a few extras? There were plenty in the CERN simulation in the last episode.

Senior figures have appointed the Doctor 'president of Earth' in emergency situations because they trust him to save the planet... and then proceed to ignore him. So we're left with yet another 'present day Earth has been successfully invaded' storyline for next week. Been there, done that. It would be more interesting if this reused plot idea was taking place on another planet for a change.

I hope there proves to be a reason why the monks turned up in a 5000 year old pyramid because that seemed rather arbitrary. I mean, aliens turning up in a spaceship you can understand but what sort of technology deposits a crumbling stone pyramid on Earth and why choose such an edifice?

And how exactly did the monks cure the Doctor's blindness? One second he can't see and then miraculously he can! So the genius that is the Doctor, a being with extraordinary regenerative powers, a being who can reprogramme nanites to regrow a woman's leg or even make a girl immortal, a being who can travel to any medical facility anywhere in existence, can't fix his vision or get someone to fix it for him but some alien monks can and they can do so in a split second from miles away. Talk about contrived.

In fact, thinking about it the only aspect of this episode I truly enjoyed was the character of Erica despite her lack of reaction to the death of her colleague. Incredibly they didn't make an issue of her short stature... now if only they could manage to do the same with regards to Bill's sexuality and ethnicity!
oldschool

Another solid one out of ten. Everybody now employed in this show whether on the acting or production side should be sacked.
Machine Against The Rage
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

oldschool wrote:Another solid one out of ten. Everybody now employed in this show whether on the acting or production side should be sacked.
I think that may be the best review of anything, ever.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
ericthehalfabee

I really, genuinely thought that was a complete load of unutterable dross.

One of the worst episodes I have ever seen. Even the production values faltered this time.

Saddened and dismayed.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

ericthehalfabee wrote:I really, genuinely thought that was a complete load of unutterable dross.

One of the worst episodes I have ever seen. Even the production values faltered this time.

Saddened and dismayed.
Funny you should say that.

While we were watching it one of my daughters twice commented that the "green screen" doesn't look very good.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

ericthehalfabee wrote:I really, genuinely thought that was a complete load of unutterable dross.

One of the worst episodes I have ever seen.
And, again, no ellaboration as to why.

Typical.
oldschool wrote:Another solid one out of ten. Everybody now employed in this show whether on the acting or production side should be sacked.
Bollocks. And, again, no ellaboration.
shuzbot wrote:
Precisley what so many say about classic Who.

And god they can be right.
ericthehalfabee

Zarius wrote:

Typical.
shuzbot wrote:

What's the issue?
iank

Saw Pyramid at the End of the World. I thought this was okay, not as good as the last few weeks. I could have lived without the President of Earth silliness (do we really want to be reminded of the godawful series 8 finale? I don't think we do) but it was solid enough.
The use of the Doctor's blindness to get to the end point was clever, but I'm not sure I buy Bill doing it; I just don't see Bill being close enough to him yet to really sell out the entire planet to save him. I could see Rose doing that, certainly, and even Amy, but Bill?
In the end, though, this is part 2 of a 3 part story, and it all depends on next week. 6.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Zarius wrote:

Typical.
shuzbot wrote:

Sorry mate but folks round here don't have to ellaborate (or give some in-depth essay) on why they like or dislike an episode just to satisfy you.

I'm sorry if you find the negative responses to the episodes thus far boring, but let me assure you, it's not half as boring as someone trolling these rate threads every week, whinging about folks posts and trying to set sh*t off. Now kindly knock it off yeah, and let's be keeping it nice 'n' friendly round here.
johnshoo

Looks like I'm in the minority, but it was my least favourite episode of the series so far.

Things that made me dislike this episode immensely:
- Everybody jumping to hand over the Earth to the monks based on a vision given to them by the monks (I'm pretty sure they don't have that authority anyway)
- Everybody still wanting to try and give the Earth over to the monks after seeing previous attempts lead to people getting disintegrated
- For that matter, Bill being able to hand over the Earth to the monks by herself made me want to smack my own forehead
- Nobody getting clarification from the monks on the details of the deal (given the monks' inane definition of consent I guess it makes sense they don't know about informed consent)
- The hungover scientist taking off his bio-suit helmet inside the quarantine area
- Nardole and the Doctor walking out of the TARDIS into a contaminated room apparently without taking precautions
- Bringing back the "president of Earth" nonsense
- The whole Doomsday clock thing
- Characters just acting completely illogically in general throughout

There's more I'm sure, but there was so much that made me think this was twaddle that I need time to process it all. At the moment I'm feeling a 3/10 on this one.
Dragonsire

Sid Rat wrote:I found that... distinctly average. I didn't find it gripping at all. After last week's 'set up' episode I was hoping this one would really drive the story forward, but not a lot seemed to happen and what did occur was pretty daft.

As lepter pointed out the biolab was pathetic. Humans don't deserve to survive if we're so stupid as to staff such potentially dangerous places with only two people and operate such poor containment/disaster procedures! Could the BBC not afford a few extras? There were plenty in the CERN simulation in the last episode.

Senior figures have appointed the Doctor 'president of Earth' in emergency situations because they trust him to save the planet... and then proceed to ignore him. So we're left with yet another 'present day Earth has been successfully invaded' storyline for next week. Been there, done that. It would be more interesting if this reused plot idea was taking place on another planet for a change.

I hope there proves to be a reason why the monks turned up in a 5000 year old pyramid because that seemed rather arbitrary. I mean, aliens turning up in a spaceship you can understand but what sort of technology deposits a crumbling stone pyramid on Earth and why choose such an edifice?

And how exactly did the monks cure the Doctor's blindness? One second he can't see and then miraculously he can! So the genius that is the Doctor, a being with extraordinary regenerative powers, a being who can reprogramme nanites to regrow a woman's leg or even make a girl immortal, a being who can travel to any medical facility anywhere in existence, can't fix his vision or get someone to fix it for him but some alien monks can and they can do so in a split second from miles away. Talk about contrived.

In fact, thinking about it the only aspect of this episode I truly enjoyed was the character of Erica despite her lack of reaction to the death of her colleague. Incredibly they didn't make an issue of her short stature... now if only they could manage to do the same with regards to Bill's sexuality and ethnicity!
so pretty much everything I was going to say. The Doctor being cured was stupid. Bill giving away the planet.... laughable. And next week looks to be another episode where the world will be taken over, and at the end of the episode it will never have happened.
Rob Mammone

This was awful on every level.

Capaldi regressed to his sub-Smith quipping which is completely ill-suited to his character. His blindness could’ve been great, now it’s just a noose around the character’s neck waiting for the trapdoor to fall open.

The geopolitical situation betrays the total lack of knowledge Moffat/Harkness have in that arena and showed they’d learned nothing from the Zygon 2 parter. The idea that the military leaders (isn’t the Yank a colonel, anyway?) would go off the reservation and strike out on their own goes against any notion of civilian control of the military. I know this is Doctor Who, but at least base some of what you’re writing on reality – it makes for better drama.

Also, if you could find a more leaden trio of actors playing the soldiers I’ll be totally surprised.

Terry Nation did the end of the world scenario better in the mid-70s than this farrago of nonsense.

Also, note how the woman brings the coffee? Nothing’s changed since The Moonbase. Meta, or just plain stupid?

Not quite as bad as Death in Heaven, but not for want of trying.
Have a listen to 42 to Doomsday, a new podcast hosted by me and Mark. We chat about Doctor Who. Hardly innovative, but lots of fun (hopefully!)

Where you can go to download: http://42todoomsday.hipcast.com/rss/42_to_doomsday.xml

Tweet the hell out of us: https://twitter.com/42TODoomsday

Or visit our blog: http://42todoomsday.wordpress.com

Or spam us at: 42todoomsday@gmail.com
-JMW-

Rob Mammone wrote:His blindness could’ve been great, now it’s just a noose around the character’s neck waiting for the trapdoor to fall open.
No longer is he blind - so that much is resolved.
The geopolitical situation betrays the total lack of knowledge Moffat/Harkness have in that arena and showed they’d learned nothing from the Zygon 2 parter. The idea that the military leaders (isn’t the Yank a colonel, anyway?) would go off the reservation and strike out on their own goes against any notion of civilian control of the military. I know this is Doctor Who, but at least base some of what you’re writing on reality – it makes for better drama.
They were personally instructed by the most senior of officers in that time of crisis.
When he told them to think for themselves even at the cost of disobeying, they were obliged to do so....the alternative would have been to err...disobey - which they did!
Also, if you could find a more leaden trio of actors playing the soldiers I’ll be totally surprised.
You've never met a member of the military have you? :D

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
Head of Security

Rob Mammone wrote:This was awful on every level.

Capaldi regressed to his sub-Smith quipping which is completely ill-suited to his character. His blindness could’ve been great, now it’s just a noose around the character’s neck waiting for the trapdoor to fall open.

Terry Nation did the end of the world scenario better in the mid-70s than this farrago of nonsense.

Also, note how the woman brings the coffee? Nothing’s changed since The Moonbase. Meta, or just plain stupid?

Not quite as bad as Death in Heaven, but not for want of trying.
Ye gods Death in Heaven is a steaming pile of horse manure.

Mind you Hell Bent isn't much better.

Any story this year is miles better than either of those.
Flying Tiger Comics

180 poast, solid rolled gold and spot on.

Having had the opportunity to read my colleague's judgement prior to offering my own I may say that I have nothing to add and concur with every aspect of the ratio of his decision.
Doctor Who extend-a-story: write your own adventures! http://thezombienomicon.com/eas/read.php?episode=63
greystone_06

Not bad really. Marred by the silly Unit entrance, more believable than the Pope, I suppose, but just as ridiculous in its own way. 'Lets find a civilian and give her all the top secret information we can, because we believe she knows the - wait for it - World President (a cringe making and an unfortunate symptom of the NewWho format restriction). Is there anything the Doctor isn't the President of these days?

Let's try that again: 'Let's find a civilian and insist/ force her to tell us where to find the Doctor because we believe she knows the - wait for it - World President (a cringe making and an unfortunate symptom of the NewWho format restriction). Is there anything the Doctor isn't the President of these days?

This is my problem with what Moffat and to a lesser extent Davis has done with Dr Who. The Doctor is by this time so well known and so all powerful that all he has to do is mention his name and game over 'whole armies run from this man!'

Doctor: "Hey, alien invader, check my facebook page..."

1st alien: "Oh, sh*t, we were going to invade this planet, but now we're shi**ing bricks."

Doctor: "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!"

2nd alien: "Hang on, he's one man, he's stood in the open, alone. We're in a battlecruiser, in orbit, that's bristling with high tech weapons. He doesn't have a force field around him - why not just blast him away from space?

1st alien: :floorroll: Are you a fool, mate? We are not fools, have you read that? We're f***ing Shi**ing ourselves..."

2nd alien: Well, we are a bit foolish if we run off, all we have to do is press that button and he's gone; obliterated beyond any hope of regenerating and we're rid of him."

1st alien: You having a laugh mate? That's far too risky. No, we're off!"

But it gets a 7 for the good bits.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Started out quite gripping but got rather incoherent after a while. It's nice to be getting a longer story, but this one seems to be distinctly suffering from "giving everyone/everything arbitrary superpowers" syndrome, so I (at least) have no idea where we stand, and the resolution, when it comes, may as well be waving a magic wand. As Rob Mammone said earlier in the thread, "I know this is Doctor Who, but at least base some of what you’re writing on reality – it makes for better drama." This has been a constant complaint from me, I'm afraid - when you have to tell a fantastic story, base things on reality where ever possible (so don't have the Moon's gravity increase for no logical reason, don't have woodlice that turn people to wood for no obvious reason, don't have a biolab run by two people, and don't do the other 1001 things that seemed like a good idea but were only half thought through). On this occasion, it would be nice to have a reason for the pyramid (apart from "ooh we can do that now with CGI!" I mean), a reason for the Monks to need consent, to know how they can cure the Doctor's eyes, how the Doctor can hack into hundreds of cameras - it's all just magic/superpowers otherwise. Yes, the situation is always fantastic, which is why it needs as much selling as possible (e.g. being realistic where ever possible) plus it should follow its own internal logic. This seems like a rag bag of disconnected ideas that didn't make much sense, and going by previous examples I'm going to guess that it won't all "fall into place" once the arc is finished, but will leave a load of loose ends.

But I'd love to be proved wrong.

(Also, it's irritating that I can't make out what the Monks are saying half the time. (Daleks might repeat themselves a lot, but at least you can hear what they say!) Is this a surreptitious but of ageism, telling those of us who are getting a bit hard of hearing that we shouldn't bother to watch?)
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
greystone_06

LizR wrote:Started out quite gripping but got rather incoherent after a while. It's nice to be getting a longer story, but this one seems to be distinctly suffering from "giving everyone/everything arbitrary superpowers" syndrome, so I (at least) have no idea where we stand, and the resolution, when it comes, may as well be waving a magic wand. As Rob Mammone said earlier in the thread, "I know this is Doctor Who, but at least base some of what you’re writing on reality – it makes for better drama." This has been a constant complaint from me, I'm afraid - when you have to tell a fantastic story, base things on reality where ever possible (so don't have the Moon's gravity increase for no logical reason, don't have woodlice that turn people to wood for no obvious reason, don't have a biolab run by two people, and don't do the other 1001 things that seemed like a good idea but were only half thought through). On this occasion, it would be nice to have a reason for the pyramid (apart from "ooh we can do that now with CGI!" I mean), a reason for the Monks to need consent, to know how they can cure the Doctor's eyes, how the Doctor can hack into hundreds of cameras - it's all just magic/superpowers otherwise. Yes, the situation is always fantastic, which is why it needs as much selling as possible (e.g. being realistic where ever possible) plus it should follow its own internal logic. This seems like a rag bag of disconnected ideas that didn't make much sense, and going by previous examples I'm going to guess that it won't all "fall into place" once the arc is finished, but will leave a load of loose ends.

But I'd love to be proved wrong.

(Also, it's irritating that I can't make out what the Monks are saying half the time. (Daleks might repeat themselves a lot, but at least you can hear what they say!) Is this a surreptitious but of ageism, telling those of us who are getting a bit hard of hearing that we shouldn't bother to watch?)
Very well put, points I entirely agree with. I seriously believe that Moffat thinks: it's only DW so it doesn't matter what happens... It does.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information