Total votes: 86
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Rate Ep.8 "The Lie of the Land".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bit of a dull, dreary rerun of stuff that's gone before (Last of the Time Lords/Turn Left), mostly flat offering with some over dramatic bits not helped by the usual OTT incidental music, punctuated with some silly "humour". The Monks good creepy look and idea, were too easily defeated, and wasted here. Another sorta Timey-Wimey/Power of love type ending.

So, if Missy hadn't seen anyone for six months being imprisoned in that vault, hows she been getting her food and drink then? or have I missed something?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

So why did the Monks want to take over the Earth?

Because, that's why.

How do they save the day?

Bill thinks about her dead mum.

FFS.

2/10
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
-JMW-

Very Entertaining.

Might have been perfect if they'd have returned the Doctor to blindness or explained how his eyesight was restored by the monks - I thought their "power" was supposed to be illusory in nature.
The reasons for using a pyramid weren't explained either presumably (I didn't notice it).

I enjoyed the build up and the double-bluffery when they reach the Doctor...everything right up until the moment the Doctor fails to interrupt the signal...

Then we got another "Love saves the day" ending, but it was palatable given the whole mind-link-source exposition...might have been a more satisfactory solution, but I won't miss that which I did not see.
A few totems collapsing and a bit of fight-back would have been nice too before the monks departure.

Is this the last we see of them though? or will they return for the finale?

Then there is Missy - I thought she was reasonably well utilised in a Hannibal Lector way....and of course the tears at the end are mere crocodile tears, but it'll be fun to see what transpires with her next (and her predecessor).

8 out of 10

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
Former Team Member

Well that was a vast improvement from the previous car crashes last week and two weeks ago.

Some actual surprises and I found the bit with Bill's Mum very touching and for once, I didn't find Missy unbearable. (Although she could've been used a bit more.)

6/10
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
-JMW-

shuzbot wrote:So why did the Monks want to take over the Earth?

Because, that's why.

FFS.

2/10
I think they were essentially leeches who craved worship (much like many a cult/religion/political party).
Better than when the Master (and others) used to regularly want supreme power for no reason I suppose.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

The Ginger Cat wrote:So, if Missy hadn't seen anyone for six months being imprisoned in that vault, hows she been getting her food and drink then? or have I missed something?
I wondered that, and assumed there was some automated system...just in case.
Then Missy also intimated that she would have no trouble breaking out (she once made a gun out of leaves or something)...so perhaps she has wandered out for the occasional snack and then hopped back into her cell to maintain the mutual illusion.....for the benefit of the Doctor, and to protect her against those who condemned her in the first place?

JMW
Forum Moderator

First real dud I've seen this series. Shame, given I loved the last two instalments of the trilogy and I rate Whithouse pretty highly.

After seeing the power of love ending subverted last week, it's back with a vengeance this week.

Lots of familiar beats...and the regeneration fake-out was just that. Does that mean Capaldi's wasted an incarnation but kept the same face? The last time the Doctor faked a lightshow like that, he was in a robot.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

-JMW- wrote:
shuzbot wrote:So why did the Monks want to take over the Earth?

Because, that's why.

FFS.

2/10
I think they were essentially leeches who craved worship (much like many a cult/religion/political party).
Better than when the Master (and others) used to regularly want supreme power for no reason I suppose.
Fair enough about the leech thing but existing just to justify a story strikes me as a weak idea. There is a difference between weak motivation and no motivation, but regardless of that, I am not sure how the Master having the same/similar problem makes it OK in this instance.

Separate to that, Moffat's linguistic tropes (Bill telling Nardole to "shut up") were also grating. I had mostly enjoyed the series up until this storyline and am glad it's finally over. Especially, as next week at least looks promising.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
ericthehalfabee

LOVE. LOVE SAVES THE DAY!!!

And did everyone know Bill's gay? Just the one nod this week, just in case you'd forgotten!

What the feck was the point of Extremis? A completely arbitrary episode, followed by one of the worst episodes in the show's history, followed by LOVE saving the day.

Jesus.
-JMW-

shuzbot wrote:Fair enough about the leech thing but existing just to justify a story strikes me as a weak idea. There is a difference between weak motivation and no motivation, but regardless of that, I am not sure how the Master having the same/similar problem makes it OK in this instance.
I thought the Monks had some justification, but creatively foes do often exist to service a story don't they?
- I suppose it's a matter of perspective whether one prefers the foe to be written into a story or the story written around a baddie...swings and roundabouts.
Especially, as next week at least looks promising.
Yes, hopefully next week will provide some fan unification in the same way "Oxygen" seemed to for many.

JMW

And did everyone know Bill's gay? Just the one nod this week, just in case you'd forgotten!
Did everyone know that Ericthehalffbee is once again complaining about Bill being gay?
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
ericthehalfabee

cyberlad wrote:
Did everyone know that Ericthehalffbee is once again complaining about Bill being gay?
Nope. Bang wrong.
Heccypoo

ericthehalfabee wrote:
cyberlad wrote:
Nope. Bang wrong.
Did everyone know that cyberlad is being deliberately provocative as usual?
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
StellarX

Utter sh*t.
Sid Rat

Well at the end of this episode I was left with the feeling that we’d seen it all before and done better. Overall the mini-arc was poor and instantly forgettable. I can’t imagine having the urge to watch it again anytime soon.

Why dedicate a quarter of the series to the monks and then not give them any original motivation and make them so completely uninteresting? They were utterly colourless. As anticipated we never found out why they’re flitting the around the galaxy in a 5000 year old stone pyramid and no attempt was made to provide even an implausible explanation for how this was possible. They were lazy, by-the-numbers 'monsters of the week' who despite their physical appearance and initially creepy introduction ultimately ended up inducing a fear factor of zero and were about as thrilling as watching paint dry.

Bill’s monologues to her dead mother were only introduced in this episode so that aspect just came across as very contrived. If that’s going to be key to the resolution of a three-episode story arc then why not introduce it earlier? Obviously in the first episode we only see a simulation of Bill and the imaginary memory therefore couldn’t be part of that or the resolution wouldn’t work, but why not in the second episode?

This was a mini story arc of disparate episodes when it could have been a proper serial. The only character, other than the three regulars, who appeared in more than one episode was Bill’s date and then only briefly in the first two. Three episodes should have provided the time to give us a group of really strong guest characters that we could get to know and perhaps even some we could care about. What an opportunity missed!

In fact, I think that’s a big part of the reason why this season has failed to produce any really strong stories to date. There have been some reasonably decent ideas but no memorable characters whatsoever. In fact referring to any of the roles for the guest actors as 'characters' is stretching the definition of the word beyond breaking point. They've all been completely devoid of character, nothing more than one-dimensional ciphers.

If you stop and think about it, one of the things all the stories that usually top the fan polls, from both classic and new series alike, have in common is a handful of strong characters. Go on, pick one and see what I mean!
Hartnell's Wig

Even worse than last week's load of f*****g crap
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
The Wooksta!

Started off as a poor man's "1984" then went downhill from there. There were some good ideas in there, but ruined by a weak and rushed storyline.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
Paolo_Sammut

That was a thumbs down from me.

The "regeneration" scene grated the most. It was unnecessarily and I suspect just there so they could get a regeneration shot in the trailer to build up a fake excitement.

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information