10%
21%
9%
8%
16%

Total votes : 86

Re: Rate "The Lie of the Land"

Postby Allons-y » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:34 am

I gave it an 8, yes there were some problems with it, mostly in the Missy-Doctor dialogue, but it was on the whole a good episode with an interesting yet not overly convoluted plot, much much better than the previous episode. As an aside, for those of you familiar with the landscape of London, what was the pyramid parked on top of?
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby shuzbot » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:28 am

Allons-y wrote:
nosfer2 wrote:A number of people have claimed that this episode was another "love saves the day" ending. I didn't read it that way. As I understood it, the monks were controlling reality, but Bill focused on the image she had created of her mother. As it was an illusion rather than being based on actual memories, the monks could not control it, resulting in their loss of control of humanity.

Exactly, it wasn't love, it was because it was a really powerful "memory" which the monks couldn't squeeze themselves into since it had been rehearsed that often and therefore so firmly planted into Bill's mind, as she had made it up and repeated it to herself so often to remember it etc. Plus as well as all these things it was a pure memory of how good life was without the monks.

It was powerful because she loved her mum. Otherwise, she might as well as focused on serving chips or walking the dog. And she wasn't focusing on how good life was without the monk because her mum is dead and isn't in her life.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Tobias Vaughan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 pm

I gave it a meh! Moffat can't write for capaldi, bring on the new regime
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
Tobias Vaughan

Postby Flying Tiger Comics » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:21 am

A government propaganda broadcaster for a uniparty system which wants a supplicant compliant population is never going to let Doctor Who have military solutions or even stories where unavoidable violence saves the day.

It would give the viewers the right idea.

Power of love endings are just another way to entrain a captive populace into submission, dhimmitude and appeasement.

Indoctrinated consumers of this sort of pablum have had a rough time of it in the real world the last fortnight, but hey.
Doctor Who extend-a-story: write your own adventures! http://thezombienomicon.com/eas/read.php?episode=63
Flying Tiger Comics

Postby -JMW- » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:00 am

Flying Tiger Comics wrote:A government propaganda broadcaster for a uniparty system which wants a supplicant compliant population is never going to let Doctor Who have military solutions or even stories where unavoidable violence saves the day.

Power of love endings are just another way to entrain a captive populace into submission, dhimmitude and appeasement.

Indoctrinated consumers of this sort of pablum have had a rough time of it in the real world the last fortnight, but hey.

In the case of Doctor Who it has nothing to do with BBC enforcement or "government propaganda".

Featuring military (or just violent) acts presented as unfettered solutions to problems:
Victory of the Daleks
Flesh and Stone
Day of the Moon
A Good Man Goes to War
Let's Kill Hitler
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
Nightmare in Silver
Into The Dalek
Death in Heaven
The Zygon Invasion
Sleep No More
The Return of Doctor Mysterio

The Doctor did propose a military solution to the problem in "The Pyramid at the End of the World".
That said, violence goes against the generally accepted character of the Doctor as he has since the seventies at least, been portrayed as firmly against violent/military solutions to issues.

If you want a show featuring accepted regular military deployment, then you have been watching the wrong (children's) show since the colour years. It's Doctor Who, not Sgt. Major Who!

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby nosfer2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:57 am

shuzbot wrote:
Allons-y wrote:
nosfer2 wrote:A number of people have claimed that this episode was another "love saves the day" ending. I didn't read it that way. As I understood it, the monks were controlling reality, but Bill focused on the image she had created of her mother. As it was an illusion rather than being based on actual memories, the monks could not control it, resulting in their loss of control of humanity.

Exactly, it wasn't love, it was because it was a really powerful "memory" which the monks couldn't squeeze themselves into since it had been rehearsed that often and therefore so firmly planted into Bill's mind, as she had made it up and repeated it to herself so often to remember it etc. Plus as well as all these things it was a pure memory of how good life was without the monks.

It was powerful because she loved her mum. Otherwise, she might as well as focused on serving chips or walking the dog. And she wasn't focusing on how good life was without the monk because her mum is dead and isn't in her life.

Except that if she focused on serving chips or walking the dog, those are real memories, so the monks would retain control. It was the illusory nature of the memory of her mother which was key!
nosfer2

Postby iank » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:30 am

Flying Tiger Comics wrote:A government propaganda broadcaster for a uniparty system which wants a supplicant compliant population is never going to let Doctor Who have military solutions or even stories where unavoidable violence saves the day.

I never thought of it like that. It's certainly another theory (albeit much more nefarious than mine - which was, just sh*t writing :D ) for why the modern series has had its balls cut off so completely.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:40 pm

That's a very interesting analysis which possibly has a grain of truth (especially if you replace the conspiracy theory with what might be called a tendency born of the times...)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby shuzbot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:03 am

Doctor Who Season 10 What-If Scenario: The Monk Arc

https://doctorwhowatch.com/2017/08/15/d ... the-monks/

Not read it.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Natalia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:42 pm

I don't know, the whole "Monks" thing just didn't do much for me. The Bill's mother bit was just too mushy. I gave it a 2.
Natalia

Postby Plain Old Dave » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:11 am

Story: This is what DW should be; one story, clearly told.

Plot: Good and suspenseful, gets going pretty quickly. I really like the "lone Companion against Society" thing.

The Doctor: I'm liking this nuanced Doctor. He's... real. Not cartoonish like Smith or given to talky histrionics like Tennant. Would that we'd seen this portrayal/writing for three seasons....

Bill and Nardole: Move the plot along in the best Sarah Jane and Harry tradition.

The effects and camera work were very good here. Definite tie with Smile, maybe a slight lead for this due to the happy ending.

Nine or possibly nine and change. If we keep getting shows like this I may have to reconsider my contempt for NuWho.
Plain Old Dave

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:35 am

ericthehalfabee wrote:
And did everyone know Bill's gay? Just the one nod this week, just in case you'd forgotten!

Do you just watch Dr Who every week so you can complain about lesbians existing?
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:36 am

Hmmm, I thought this episode was a bit silly.
Overreaching itself in scope, full of endless panto cheats and cry wolfs every 5 minutes, and some of the most annoying Murray Gold schmaltz underscoring (overscoring, more like) in ages. The nadir was the bit on the prison ship where Bill shot the Doctor then they all laughed
We've had these 'baddies conquer the ENTIRE WORLD" stories far too often since RTD started, they always involve one living room, a suburban street and a few soldiers in a jeep (at least we were spared the American newsreader this time). When the monks were doing their broadcast about always having been here I went "what, were they mates with the Silence then?"
At least the Master likes Satie.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 am

The Wooksta! wrote:Started off as a poor man's "1984" .

I was thinking "well at least the Monks have improved everyone's dress sense!"
'teleportNOW!'

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:06 pm

feline1 wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:
And did everyone know Bill's gay? Just the one nod this week, just in case you'd forgotten!

Do you just watch Dr Who every week so you can complain about lesbians existing?

It would help if you read the posts instead of picking shallow arguments which ignore the meaning of the points you’re responding to.

Please play nicely. Ta.
ericthehalfabee

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 pm

The Lesbians of the... er I mean The Lie of the Land script thingy.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/ ... e-Land.pdf
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:37 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.8 "The Lie of the Land".

Earth is invaded and Bill is living alone in occupied Britain. The Doctor appears to be on the side of the enemy, flooding the airwaves with fake news. Bill and Nardole embark on a deadly mission to rescue the Doctor and lead the resistance against the new regime, whatever the cost.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to SERIES 10