7%
4%
3%
2%
7%

Total votes : 90

Re: Rate "The Empress of Mars"

Postby Allons-y » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:48 pm

I expected to hate that, with the Victorians on mars and all but it was perfect! 10/10. Gatiss should stick to writing ice warrior stories, it's the only thing he has ever done well.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Sid Rat » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:39 am

I too had concerns about the basic 'Victorians on Mars' premise, however this turned out to be the best episode of the series so far for me. I wouldn't go so far as to declare it was perfect though!

I'm curious about the pre-credit NASA sequence during which I clearly wasn't paying enough attention. Did the Doctor et al go to Mars because of the 'God Save the Queen' message or did this sequence take place after they got back? I got the impression it was the former but if so then why the hell were they at NASA in the first place?

I could have done without the whole NASA scene anyway, as it was all rather superfluous. Jettisoning it would have freed up a bit more time to further develop the characters on Mars. The scene with the Ice Warrior lumbering towards the Doctor would have made a perfectly fine lead into the credits.

Similarly, the whole Missy in the Vault arc was a distraction as it has been for most of the season. We'll see how it plays out but it doesn't feel worth the effort and when stories are only 45 minutes long it eats up precious minutes that I for one would prefer were given to the individual story. Also, I can't help wondering if Moffat will even bother to ensure we get an explanation for why the TARDIS arbitrarily decided to dematerialise and return to Earth.

Yet again Nardole was sidelined and didn't really take any part in the main story. It's frustrating because not only is he the first non-human companion in the new series, aside from Jack (who was more of a recurring character than a full blown companion) he's the only one who isn't from contemporary Earth. His outlook on events could have made for a nice juxtaposition to Bill's this season and given us something a little different.

I share the frustration with others, including Mark Gatiss, about the casting of a black actor to play a Victorian soldier. It did seem very anachronistic and smacked of token casting, especially when the photograph of his beau appeared to be a white woman. A black soldier in that time would be extremely unusual; an interacial relationship even more so. It seems disingenuous to me to suggest such intolerance didn't exist in the past.

Like others I was left wondering how exactly the colonel was able to continue serving in the army after a failed attempt to hang him for cowardice. That definitely needed some more explanation. In fact, why include the hanging aspect at all? The captain could have witnessed the colonel's cowardice first hand and related it to the men without the need for the scar around his neck to demonstrate it.

Nevertheless, despite these gripes I found this to be a solid episode. The characters were better drawn than they have been in other episodes this season, there was duplicity and consequences, the Doctor trying desparately to broker peace and a geniune culture clash rather than straightforward villainy. It was by no means a classic, but if the majority of stories were up this standard then I'd be a lot more content than I am with the current incarnation of the series.
Sid Rat

Postby johnshoo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:03 am

Well, that was... surprisingly quite enjoyable. It actually might be my favourite Gatiss-penned episode since "The Unquiet Dead". Hooray for low expectations?

Sure, the soldiers (aside from the Colonel) mostly acted dumb as hell, but at least their motivation had a sort of understandable internal logic even if it was really stupid. This episode is what I'd call "fun" dumb, as opposed to "pulling out my hair" dumb (like the last couple weeks).

I think the fact that there was at least an attempt at establishing some characters here helped push the episode up a lot.

I thought the new Ice Warrior gun effect was hilarious. Maybe not the reaction they were going for, but it was so over-the-top that I couldn't help but laugh when I first saw it. This was good cheese.

I thought the inclusion Alpha Centauri was one of the few times in Nu Who that a Classic Who reference felt like a fun nod rather than unnecessarily shoehorned in.

I'm feeling a strong 7/10 here. One of the my favourite episodes of this series. Not sure what that says about this series, but there you go. :lol:
johnshoo

Postby Tobias Vaughan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Allons-y wrote:I expected to hate that, with the Victorians on mars and all but it was perfect! 10/10. Gatiss should stick to writing ice warrior stories, it's the only thing he has ever done well.
Really? I thought 'the unquiet dead' and 'crimson horror' were both brilliant and better than saturday, although I did enjoy TEoM.
I saw 'The Purge, Election Year' last night, I couldn't make out whether it was fiction or a party political broadcast on behalf of the Republican party...
Tobias Vaughan

Postby LizR » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Tobias Vaughan wrote:
Allons-y wrote:I expected to hate that, with the Victorians on mars and all but it was perfect! 10/10. Gatiss should stick to writing ice warrior stories, it's the only thing he has ever done well.
Really? I thought 'the unquiet dead' and 'crimson horror' were both brilliant and better than saturday, although I did enjoy TEoM.

I take a guilty pleasure in "The Idiot's Lantern" despite the cardboard characters. Not only does it have Maureen Lipman but also Rose gets her face sucked off. Gotta be 10/10.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Allons-y » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Tobias Vaughan wrote:

The Crimson Horror was terrible, alright The Unquiet Dead was okay but nowhere near as good as his ice warrior stories.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby shuzbot » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:25 am

Let's keep the Missy stuff here, please: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4016&start=100

Thanks. :)
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 pm

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Pansentient Hegemony wrote:Stories that deal with "Victorian soldiers fighting Ice Warriors on Mars", or indeed any sci-fi story where the sci-fi elements are deliberately used to counter-point and juxtapose the real world, need the "realistic" elements to conform to the audience's expectations of realism in order for juxtaposition to have any effect whatsoever.

Now to me, the casting of a black actor presents no issue because I have no real knowledge of what a British Victorian platoon would look like, so it didn't take me out of the story. But the more ridiculous the concept is, the more realistic your grounded elements have to be.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Natalia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 pm

The writing wasn't the best but it had ice warriors and was entertaining so I gave it a 5.
Natalia

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:27 pm

This was a better episode that the previous monk-y one (though that's damning with faint praise!)
At least it was based around characters and a fairly conventional narrative, rather than timewimey nonsense and people magically coming back to life.
Having said that, the ¾ hour slot never gives stories enough time to really develop, and ultimately not a huge amount really 'happens' other than soldiers being soldiers.
There also seemed to be no reason whatsoever for the TARDIS to leave Mars of its own accord! Pure contrivance.

The best bit of the episode for me was when the officers were saying their supplies were nearly gone, and there was a shot of a lovely big slice of cake :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.9 "The Empress of Mars".

The Doctor, Bill and Nardole discover a tomb of the Queen of the Ice Warriors on Mars in 1881.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:27 pm

That scene.......

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to SERIES 10