11%

Total votes : 91

Rate "The Eaters of Light"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:23 am

Rate Ep.10 "The Eaters of Light".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "The Eaters of Light"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Hmmm, dunno about this one. It started off well enough, atmospheric, nice imagery, bit of mystery to it, then it all sorta went far too talky with not much going on, really dreary by the end. Whole loada nothing episode. Sad to say Bill kinda got on me tits tonight.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Quite enjoyed that.

Gripping story and Capaldi was brilliant in this.

8 out of 10
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby -JMW- » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 pm

The main story was mediocre.
I like that the Doctor and Nardole were separated from Bill - each on one side of a conflict. Some mixed performances though. Nardole is great fun, Bill also excellent and so were some of the guests.
The Doctor was on reasonable form too.
But the amalgamation of forces felt rushed and the resolution unearned.

However the Missy segment at the end was brilliant, it had me laughing all the while...right up until the trailer which needless to say bodes an awesome two part finale.

Overall - 7/10

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby Zarius » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:58 pm

The explanation for the Crows, lack of any real lingering monster prescensce, the PC Roman Legion, and the continuity cofuffle with the Marie Celeste really brought this one down a peg or four, but I did like some of it...at least they got around to explaining the range of the TARDIS translation field for Bill, the last real detail she needed to know, and The Doctor explained regeneration to her too.

Anyone get the feeling The Doctor and Missy interactions at the end were making up for a very underlength script?
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DarachAnLaoch » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Plodding, dull, limp and lifeless. Once again, EVERYTHNG has to take a backseat so that cringe dialogue like references to wifi and spagboll can take prescedence. Was shocked by the revelation that Bill is gay tonight though, they kept that one quiet. Anyway I was bored off my t*ts and it wasn't helped that this episode was the darkest (lighting wise) thing in the entire universe and is broadcast on what seems like the brightest blooming day of the year so I was staring at my reflection in the TV the whole time whilst Nardole drones on about tea cakes or whatever his bloody awful and unfunny lines were this week. I actually don't want to be negative but what enjoyment was anyone supposed to get out of that? It was just nothing happening for 45 minutes.
DarachAnLaoch

Postby shuzbot » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:26 pm

I did watch it but I am not telling you what I thought cos it's a secret :6doctor:
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby DSJR » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:50 pm

This one swung like a bloody pendulum again. To me anyway, very good at one moment and buttock clenchingly awful the next :(

Do we really need to know that Bill bats for the other side every week? I still find Nardole annoying and why Missy? Maybe we'll find out next week

Simple stories are great, but no need to script them for a CBBC audience, eh (I was going to say CBeeBies, but that's unfair)?
DSJR

Postby Denny Haynes » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:07 pm

DarachAnLaoch wrote:Plodding, dull, limp and lifeless. Once again, EVERYTHNG has to take a backseat so that cringe dialogue like references to wifi and spagboll can take prescedence. Was shocked by the revelation that Bill is gay tonight though, they kept that one quiet. Anyway I was bored off my t*ts and it wasn't helped that this episode was the darkest (lighting wise) thing in the entire universe and is broadcast on what seems like the brightest blooming day of the year so I was staring at my reflection in the TV the whole time whilst Nardole drones on about tea cakes or whatever his bloody awful and unfunny lines were this week. I actually don't want to be negative but what enjoyment was anyone supposed to get out of that? It was just nothing happening for 45 minutes.

Total parody again tonight, wtf was Nardole doing in his Pj's, seriously what the fcuk!

Totally and utterly boring, you have a right to be negative. I was rather looking forward to next week till i noticed Missy on the trailer being totally fu**ing stupid again.

Nothing more to add what you've summed up perfectly.

Quick edit, if i'm right we'll find out Missy is the Rani next couple of weeks!
Denny Haynes

Postby cyberlad » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Oh and before the usual suspects start complaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexua ... cient_Rome
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby -JMW- » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 pm

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:36 pm

cyberlad wrote:Oh and before the usual suspects start complaining.

Nevermind about the usual suspects complaining, what did you make of tonight's episode?
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby robbo13 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Mondas getting a mention gave it a bonus point from me, 7/10
robbo13

Postby Heccypoo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:42 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:

Nevermind about the usual suspects complaining, what did you make of tonight's episode?

It's not 'I Claudius'... 8-)

A Moffhack in-joke...

I'll get me toga...
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby thecypher » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Wait, no, hold on.. BILL'S GAY?!? :o

Rona Munro had 75 minutes when she wrote "Survival", this time she had 45 and still managed to get the pacing right. Linking in with another thread, I'd cite this as example of good flow in an episode. I'd agree with the other comments on here, there was too much talking and not enough of a threatening presence - which I think was also a problem with Survival. Also, there was only one "Eater of Light" in our dimension, so the title was slightly misleading. Had the usual PC references. Regardless, I'd say the pacing was the best we've had this series - even if the script wasn't all that good.

I gave it a 6.

Look forward to next week's! The Master is back! :D
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby Llamastrangler » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:19 pm

A wonderful return from Rona Munro, proving that sometimes the episodes not trying to be "big" or "epic" can be the best ones... http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot. ... t.html?m=1
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
Llamastrangler

Postby Amyiszygon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:30 pm

What ? At least black Roman solider was historically accurate this time ... :D
Amyiszygon

Postby Amyiszygon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:34 pm

That was just average episode. Not good. Not bad. But average ...

For those of you on here that still want to make out it was something great you know it's alright to like something and hate it all at the same time ... :(
Amyiszygon

Postby greystone_06 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:44 pm

This was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I enjoyed it in that way. Capaldi was really good, Nardol was ridiculous, especially in that stupid garb and should have brought the whole thing down - but he didn't. And I think that it is the lowering of my expectaction that makes that opinion possible.

Because, outside of 'Hitch Hikers' how can you take a situation seriously when one of the lead characters is cavorting around in a dressing gown and silly hat?

It looked really good, atmospheric and so forth. For a Moffatshow it was really good, but I'm still hoping real DW is still alive and well and waiting around the corner.

7 out of 10.
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

Postby Darren Lake » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:14 am

Absolutely hilarious. One of the biggest loads of twaddle I've ever seen. To be fair, it's down there with her previous effort. I think the only thing funnier than the cheesy backwards glance as the camp soldiers disappeared into The Blue Oyster Bar, or the Five Doctors-esque plastic stones, was the extra pretending to play the stringed instrument as he followed the soldiers. I thought I was going to wet myself we were all laughing so hard.
Darren Lake

Next

Return to SERIES 10