8%
3%
11%

Total votes : 91

Re: Rate "The Eaters of Light"

Postby ericthehalfabee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Fascinating. Thanks Shuz, you Nubian fantasy, you x
ericthehalfabee

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby cyberlad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:18 am

LizR wrote:Thanks for the outline description, JMW. It still doesn't explain why the light eaters eat people, exactly, but I can live with that. As you have shown, the story itself is well constructed (on its own terms) and the main annoyances are peripheral things like the heavy handed (and apparently historically inaccurate) discussion of sexuality - although I personally think it's far more likely that a young, lonely Roman soldier, far from home and in great danger, would hit on Bill than some of the other examples we've seen, so this would have been the ideal place for one definitive show-don't-tell scene on this subject. And the somewhat unbelievable way the characters behave as though plunging deep into history is just like a trip to Disneyworld (of course old Who did this sometimes, but not as consistently). And a few other niggles.

Liz all you seem to do is find things to complain at, and as I pointed the Romans were in their own way accepting of homosexuality.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:41 am

cyberlad wrote:
LizR wrote:Thanks for the outline description, JMW. It still doesn't explain why the light eaters eat people, exactly, but I can live with that. As you have shown, the story itself is well constructed (on its own terms) and the main annoyances are peripheral things like the heavy handed (and apparently historically inaccurate) discussion of sexuality - although I personally think it's far more likely that a young, lonely Roman soldier, far from home and in great danger, would hit on Bill than some of the other examples we've seen, so this would have been the ideal place for one definitive show-don't-tell scene on this subject. And the somewhat unbelievable way the characters behave as though plunging deep into history is just like a trip to Disneyworld (of course old Who did this sometimes, but not as consistently). And a few other niggles.

Liz all you seem to do is find things to complain at, and as I pointed the Romans were in their own way accepting of homosexuality.

Never you mind about Liz seemingly finding things to complain at. How about you tell us what you made of the episode?
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby shuzbot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 am

cyberlad wrote:

Sorry but as previously pointed out, "Homosexuality within the legions was a capital offense (see Polybius)(as well as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fustuarium)."
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby iank » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:42 am

Facts and political correctness don't mix. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:49 am

cyberlad wrote:Liz all you seem to do is find things to complain at, and as I pointed the Romans were in their own way accepting of homosexuality.

Ah, that would be why I started my review...

I quite liked that one - and my other half didn't fall asleep for once, and even said "That was quite good" at the end, so for once I feel that forcing him to sit through another episode wasn't too cruel

And when did I say the Romans weren't accepting of homosexuality (or were, for that matter) ?
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:55 am

-JMW- wrote:
LizR wrote:The first two Dalek stories are kind of "canonical" (in a good way - establishing a lot of things that will be reused many times).

:D

Very funny. I was thinking more of the stories.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby cyberlad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am

shuzbot wrote:
cyberlad wrote:

Sorry but as previously pointed out, "Homosexuality within the legions was a capital offense (see Polybius)(as well as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fustuarium)."

Yes but as that article points out he could as long as it wasn't done in a way that undermined his masculinity or a loss to his status as long as he took the dominant or penetrative role. So as long as his partner was a slave he was relatively safe. So my point stands the Romans did have a complicated attidude towards homosexuality.
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby cyberlad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 am

[Post removed - Trolling]
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:07 pm

cyberlad wrote:
LizR wrote:
cyberlad wrote:Liz all you seem to do is find things to complain at, and as I pointed the Romans were in their own way accepting of homosexuality.

Ah, that would be why I started my review...

I quite liked that one - and my other half didn't fall asleep for once, and even said "That was quite good" at the end, so for once I feel that forcing him to sit through another episode wasn't too cruel

And when did I say the Romans weren't accepting of homosexuality (or were, for that matter) ?

[Post removed - Trolling]

And when are you going to actually review an episode rather than complain about others complaining?

Not to impinge on your freedom to moan about others of course... 8-)

PS. I've not watched Doctor Who since Series 8, so I won't dare to write a review...

I just come here to read what others think.. :mrgreen:
Heccypoo

Postby -JMW- » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:49 am

I've continued my part in this discussion of Cartmel, in the "Classic Vs New Who" thread.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 am

-JMW- wrote:I've continued my part in this discussion of Cartmel, in the "Classic Vs New Who" thread.

Just to note that some off-topic posts previous and subsequent to JMW's one I've quoted have been moved over to the thread he's linked to.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Natalia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:49 pm

The ending of this episode reminded me of The Unquiet Dead. I give it 3.
Natalia

Postby Plain Old Dave » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm

This was a classic DW historical in the best sense of the term. Historical and historic should never be confused, though.

Liked the Pertwee-era Sarah Jane vibe in Bill's rallying the Romans.

Would have been a 9 except for the pointless homosexualism overlay. Brought NOTHING to the plot.

8/10. maybe 8.5...
Plain Old Dave

Postby LizR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Plain Old Dave wrote:Liked the Pertwee-era Sarah Jane vibe in Bill's rallying the Romans.

I thought that was more a Hartnell-era Barbara vibe...

Oh wait, silly me - I was forgetting that only New Who has strong female roles :roll:

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:21 pm

ericthehalfabee wrote:The reality is that once Moffat had got his grubby mitts all over it, the brakes were slammed on half way through with yet more banal discussion of Bill's sexuality - seriously, what is that about? Can anyone here justify that scene, or the number of times this season we've seen that scene laboriously played out? And from that point on it was rather stop-start. Please, anyone, tell me what the point is?

I've met quite a few university lezzers over the years like Bill's character, who pretty much ALWAYS had to announce to the room that they were special in that way. I mean they're almost as bad as vegans (almost...)
Some people do just tend to bang on about the same things over and over again, it's a fact of life - you know, like the way you complain about Bill's flagrant lesbotic tendencies in every single Series 10 thread on this board.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:24 pm

iank wrote:Saw this last night. Oh dear, is all I can say. I wasn't expecting Rona Munro to be able to get anything anywhere near as good as Survival out under the current regime, but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad either.

well obviously the episode would have benefitted from a cameo by Hale and Pale, and to have the Picts doing really cod BBC drama school "scotch" accents rather than being raving woadfaces, but you can't have everything.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I think I fairly enjoyed this story - I liked the setting and some of the dramatic scenes - particularly Capaldi getting cross with the picts. Certainly one of the less worse ones of the season...
'teleportNOW!'

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:49 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.10 "The Eaters of Light".

A long time ago, the Roman legion of the ninth vanished into the mists of Scotland. Bill has a theory about what happened, and the Doctor has a time machine. But when they arrive in ancient Aberdeenshire, what they find is a far greater threat than any army. In a cairn, on a hillside, is a doorway leading to the end of the world.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to SERIES 10