9%
10%
8%
3%
11%

Total votes : 91

Re: Rate "The Eaters of Light"

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:42 am

I don't really know what to think about that...

It's not like me to pour praise on Doctor Who these days, but I thought the historical setting and the general gist of the plot were quite possibly the best thing I can remember in the show. Well, certainly in the Moffat era. I loved the intro and how it all tied up nicely. This could have been one of the very best of all time for me. I enjoyed Capaldi immensely for the first time, I really like Nardole as he's unashamedly a daft character who plays off well against Capaldi. The 9th legion thing and Pictish Scotland is a rich and unusual setting... probably my favourite historical setting since Hartnell! And I thought the threat, the gateway stuff and the resolution were all sweet. I thought it looked good, and the music struck me as excellent (despite the mega-overly produced marching music at the end.)

But, I did say could have...

The reality is that once Moffat had got his grubby mitts all over it, the brakes were slammed on half way through with yet more banal discussion of Bill's sexuality - seriously, what is that about? Can anyone here justify that scene, or the number of times this season we've seen that scene laboriously played out? And from that point on it was rather stop-start. Please, anyone, tell me what the point is?

That scene apart, Bill is starting to grate on me. Her character is so poorly written, just about everything she does seems inconsistent. I like Pearl's hutzpah in general in trying to throw herself at this role, but she's being given dross... and to be honest, she should be saying "hang on, Steven, haven't we done this scene 8 times already this season. Give it a rest, mush"

Then the last 5 minutes were a complete bore, with this impotent Missy thread running through the series. God, she's spent as a character isn't she. Next week: oh she's really still evil... *surprise* or oh she's really changed *more boredom*

What a mixed bag. In general I'm still glowing about the concept, but my god they tried their damndest to ruin it.

Good for Rona. Moffat can do one. This is definitely my favourite of the season, in spite of the usual crap that would make me auto-zero it. It's having a strong 7.

(Two minor niggles: I'm all for breaking up the crowd to enable two narratives, but I found it very odd that the Doctor would let Bill wander off in 2nd century savage land. Also, I thought there could have been a baddy human character to give the light eaters a bit of a mouthpiece... some tribal elder under their influence.)
ericthehalfabee

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Sid Rat » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:50 am

Amyiszygon wrote:
cyberlad wrote:Oh and before the usual suspects start complaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexua ... cient_Rome

What ? At least black Roman solider was historically accurate this time ... :D

Yes, but not every soldier was a centurion though. ;)

Apparently it was only the centurions of the Ninth Legion that ran away, leaving all the lower ranking legionaries under their command to die.
Sid Rat

Postby ericthehalfabee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:28 am

Did anyone else think of the Thal cloak in the first Cushing movie when we got the first glimpses of the monster? :roll07:
ericthehalfabee

Postby Spam Fritter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:15 am

Like Eric, I also thought the opening and setting to be leading to something good.

Where we differ is I really thought it was poor.

I didn't like Survival, but put that down to the Cartmel era, and thought this time around things would be better.

Maybe Moffat is Cartmel for the 21st Century

I have enjoyed 5 out of 10 so far this season, so 50% isn't bad.

Show is screaming out for a change, it has survived so long due to change.
Spam Fritter

Postby shuzbot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:44 am

Ever since Extremis I have lost the will to give these things a second watch and found this quite boring. It was plot-lite so the focus was supposed to be elsewhere but I found the characters annoying save Nardole. I know about Romans' views on sexuality but they were not represented accurately but in a very forced PC way which was a complete turnoff. I am fine with it not being entirely accurate, it's not a documentary after all, but used a vehicle for political correctness made it very tiring. Even though I love Pearl Mackie her character has been awfully written over the last four or five episodes. Also, I thought the explanation of the Tarids' translation for Bill to be very heavy handed. I am really losing the will to live. 4
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Miss Cathcart » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:57 am

Not bad, not good. I liked the dark tone, and the opening scenes on the heath (or whatever it was) for some reason reminded me of The Sontaran Experiment. I thought Capaldi was great and Nardole OK, despite some of his lame jokes. But I found Bill annoying - she just seemed too gobby in this one. The Roman soldiers seemed too nice to be convincing. Overall it felt like a filler episode and a budget saver, with basically just one Eater of Light rather than a lot of them. I liked Missy at the end but in the trailer for next week (which looks very Moffaty) she seems to have regressed to her previous persona. Doesn't bode well.

6/10.
Miss Cathcart

Postby StellarX » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 am

Overall enjoyed the plot, the historic setting and the production - but only because I have developed an ability to 'zone out' whilst watching, when it degenerates into spaff.

Last week I was going to predict we would have a scene entirely based around the need to discus Bill's sexuality (given this season's form, no great leap, admittedly), that the story would struggle to develop the characters and wrap up a plot in one episode (the episode did its best to prove me wrong), and that the ending would be weak or based on spurious 'logic' full of plot holes (I felt it was...-ish).

One can criticize the Bill situation without first needing to apologise for any perceived non-PC-ness. As mentioned myriad times I AM NOT INTERSTED!!!! It is excrutiatingly, 'clangingly' shoe-horned in at every opportunity. It adds nothing to the narrative or the character development whatsoever. Personally, I think it belongs nowhere near this type of programme. There are plenty of other vehicles to celebrate diversity and provide role models for anyone young or old. Don't mis-read me. If Bill's character were heterosexual but spent as much time discussing that part of her nature, I would be equally vociferous in criticising its inclusion in the script.

Did not understand the end at all. The Doctor offers to spend eternity defending the gateway because he can - he is designed to live long and regenerate, whereas human are not. Then a bunch of ordinary humans take his place. Remind me the the Doctor's reasoning for self-sacrifice was again?

Also felt a lot of the roles were mis-cast, and they were played more for joke value than realism). And it did get a bit wordy/ploddy without any real sense of threat or drama after the mid-point. All of which is a great shame since viewed overall it really wasn't that bad.

7/10 - but the new production team cannot come soon enough.
StellarX

Postby shuzbot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:53 am

That talking crow was awfully twee wasn't it?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Servorobot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:59 am

Well, that wasn't all that bad I must say.

I loved seeing the Picts portrayed, being part of my ancestry its probably the first time I've seen them portrayed on screen.

The whole story was good and the ending ok as well. The children thrust into battle grew up, the Doctor didn't have to save the day, Nardole had a bit more to do and was amusing etc, etc.

Turning to the elephant in the room, Eric's dismay at Bill's sexuality being brought up again.

Personally I think Bill's a bit put out at sharing the TARDIS with the only gay in the village. It's some sort of alpha gay vibe thingy going on.

Thank Christ we had no Paternoster Crew this season, imagine the jostling to be top lesbian. Stay away from the iron presses!

The other thing that I don't get at all is that Bill is constantly forced to explain her sexuality because all these gormless blokes seem to fancy her. I'm not sure why, but there's been a few. I'm not seeing it personally, but Bill is getting better since she took that ridiculous bow out of her hair. Those jeans this week looked rather sh*te too it must be said. Blokes must find them really alluring though.

Poor Bill only has blokes trying to cop on to her. The Doctor is such a bast*rd. Surely he couid take her back to a pre watershed Heather so she could get her leg over? Her only sexual activity seems to involve drinking cups of tea. The poor woman must be gagging for it.

Anyway, it wasn't crap so it's a 7 from me.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby DarachAnLaoch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Oh god I forgot about that f**king crow. So utterly awful, and we were all meant to go "oh that's why crows go "kar" OH HOW CLEVER" but really I was bashing my head against a wall, which was less painful than sitting through this dire dreck.
DarachAnLaoch

Postby LizR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:12 pm

I quite liked that one - and my other half didn't fall asleep for once, and even said "That was quite good" at the end, so for once I feel that forcing him to sit through another episode wasn't too cruel (we watched another "Outrageous Fortune" afterwards and were as usual wetting ourselves, at least metaphorically - though we were expecting Loretta's waters to break when she was forced to perform an Irish jig...)

Anyway ... that had some of the usual faults, too much talking, some silly anachronistic bits and pieces, and the getting together to be mates at the end was a bit meh - and rushed, and the monster that was going to eat the Sun wasn't much cop - but at least it was entertaining, quite well constructed and paced, didn't have noticeably dangling loose ends, and had an oddly effective twist with the crows, which should have been ridiculous but wasn't because of the way it was foreshadowed.

I'm not sure about the Missy segment - assuming she's the Master as stated then she'd better have a suitably evil plan up her sleeve, otherwise all this moping around and going soft is well out of character. Even the Simm version was at least trying to be evil (although he couldn't put it across, bless him, just killing lots of people off stage doesn't do it,,,,while Jacobi managed to convey the underlying darkness effortlessly.)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Terrible stuff.

First half of the season - really pretty good
Second half - Unutterable sh*te

EDIT - Unless a curve ball is pitched our way, and with this awful show runner's addiction to timey wimey nonsense it is likely I guess, it seems fairly clear that Missy is not the Master, but has been used to get the Doctor to whatever tedious trap awaits in the finale.

Expect a shitty "The Missy is really the Rani and the Rani was always the Master's wife" conclusion. It's an awful idea that involves retconning the characters so therefore...
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby Burnt_Chook » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:52 pm

5/10 . My least favourite episode in an otherwise terrific and consistent season (in my opinion)

It felt like a bland filler episode for me with regards to next week's blockbuster, bit like a Planet of Fire in comparison to Caves of Androzani.

Not an episode I am keen to rewatch anytime soon, which is bitterly disappointed as I loved Survival, and was really looking foward to another story written by Rona Munro.
Burnt_Chook

Postby Servorobot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:06 pm

I should add it was miles better than Survival, which I always thought was a load of old rope.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby -JMW- » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I didn't enjoy the small chav-town urbanites of Survival or the camp comedy. I especially disliked the teddy-bear costumes (as much as anything, poor "monster" design and development can destroy a story), but it would have been cheesily interesting to give a nod to them in the creation of the creatures in "Easters of Light".

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby shuzbot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Nardole banging on about vaults and oaths is pretty pointless as it's a time machine. Also, he let Missy out last week so he can't really keep harking on about oaths.

The Missy redemption subplot is a bit silly, as Eric said. It was the same when Capaldi started and his Doctor was constantly asking, "am I a good man?" So it's kind of fitting that it finishes the way it started. Although, I do think there was a wee bit more of a point to the Doctor's introspection.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby -JMW- » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:38 pm

shuzbot wrote:Nardole banging on about vaults and oaths is pretty pointless as it's a time machine.

I suppose it depnds on whether those executioner/judge beings were also a time transient race...if so then they may have some awareness of events in the Doctor/Missy time-line (as opposed to the universe time-line in which the Doctor and similar time travellers, skip through).

One must presume they are similar to Timelords in that respect, otherwise they'd not be aware of much of the Master/Missy transgressions, and not be in a position to determine whether the doctor is keeping to his vow. (The Doctor could, after all, merely secure the vault in the present (say under a hundred miles of rock(?) and then skip ahead the thousnd years and declare his job done).

The Missy redemption subplot is a bit silly, as Eric said. It was the same when Capaldi started and his Doctor was constantly asking, "am I a good man?" So it's kind of fitting that it finishes the way it started. Although, I do think there was a wee bit more of a point to the Doctor's introspection.

Well, Missy has had something like seventy-plus years of confinement to consider the consequences of her lifestyle...and she always seems to reach out to the Doctor (even when she was The Master)...it's like a psychotic desire for the Doctor's respect...or for him to end the misery perhaps. Something has to drive the Master/Missy character...because as originally devised, the Master had no relatable raison d'etre other than to be the yang of the Doctor's Yin.

As usual with a Stephen Moffat arc it's probably too early to judge it until the finale.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby Rowls » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:30 pm

I enjoyed this. It was, as others have noted, 'a bit talky' but perhaps that will happen when you have a playwright writing for Dr Who?

The plot was simple but effective and revealed itself with good pacing through the story.

Shame about the needless shoehorning of sexuality again but at least it wasn't anachronistic this time. A minor irritant but an irritant all the same.

The CGI wasn't brilliant but the acting, costuming, casting, script, and other elements of the production were spot on.

9/10 for me.
Rowls

Postby shuzbot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:42 pm

I like his enthusiasm more than his review. In fact, I don't think I agree with any of his thoughts.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Heccypoo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:22 pm

shuzbot wrote:

I like his enthusiasm more than his review. In fact, I don't think I agree with any of his thoughts.

People should get out more these days....
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

PreviousNext

Return to SERIES 10