2%
1%
4%
1%
4%

Total votes : 134

Re: Rate "World Enough and Time"

Postby The Wooksta! » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am

Plain Old Dave wrote:I actually dislike Moffatt a little less now; he is actually CAPABLE of writing a straightforward DW story with a STRONG cliffhanger. Wish he'd have done it more.

9.5/10.

The real problem is that he took too bloody long about it - "Heaven sent" notwithstanding, we had too many episodes of horribleness to get there.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Plain Old Dave » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 am

Just finished it up without interruption. Flows better, 9.65.
Plain Old Dave

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:38 pm

I didn't realise it was John Simm until he took his mask off! Bless! :)
I still am a bit confused by how the plot was meant to work - the ship was meant to be empty to begin with ... I get that the time-distortion thing from the black hole meant the cybermen had ages to evolve, but where did they all come from in the first place? Or something :? Maybe I wasn't paying attention.
I found the hospital scenes with the nurse turning the patient's speakers off really quite disturbing, you surely can't push the horror much further than that in a family show?
'teleportNOW!'

Postby LizR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 am

the cybermen had ages to evolve, but where did they all come from in the first place?

I assume they came from the usual place - people "upgrading" their bodies with cybernetic implants. (Wasn't this one a less good version of "Spare Parts" ?)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 am

which people, though? The blue maintenance crew? I thought they just went down in the lifts to investigate life signs or something?
'teleportNOW!'

Postby LizR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 am

Can't remember it well enough to answer, I'm afraid - maybe I misremembered anyway.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am

I shall have to watch it again :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:03 am

Looks like some of those Mondasian "Topknots" things escaped and decided to form a band...

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 am

feline1 wrote:
LizR wrote:
feline1 wrote:the cybermen had ages to evolve, but where did they all come from in the first place?

I assume they came from the usual place - people "upgrading" their bodies with cybernetic implants. (Wasn't this one a less good version of "Spare Parts" ?)

which people, though? The blue maintenance crew? I thought they just went down in the lifts to investigate life signs or something?

I thought the Cybermen evolved from the descendants of the original Mondasian crewmembers who'd gone down to the lower level of the ship, in order to reverse the engines when it started to get sucked into the black hole or something.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:10 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:
feline1 wrote:
LizR wrote:
feline1 wrote:the cybermen had ages to evolve, but where did they all come from in the first place?

I thought the Cybermen evolved from the descendants of the original Mondasian crewmembers who'd gone down to the lower level of the ship, in order to reverse the engines when it started to get sucked into the black hole or something.

Sounds reasonable - although (science alert!) thing don't actually get sucked into black holes, well no more than you get 'sucked' towards the Earth by its gravity :) :geek:

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby thecypher » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am

The Ginger Cat wrote:
feline1 wrote:
LizR wrote:

Why was their priority to have kids on a ship heading towards a black hole?

Plus, has nobody thought of the limited gene pool?
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:09 pm

With the distance of time - and bearing in mind that I now consider all New Who as nothing more than glorified fan fiction - which may well be my loss, I know - there are none-the-less moments, scenes and at least one full episode that really work for me.

The ending of this episode is one of them. I just think that it is so well directed, edited and put together.

I don't think that there was any way that THE DOCTOR FALLS could be anything less than anti-climatic after this build up, but for me, just for a moment, Doctor Who as a series got it's mojo back in terms of a cliffhanger.......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I say, I really think we have the director to thank.

From Freddy's Dead to Mondasian Cybermen.......

Am glad to see that Chibnall kept her on.... (Oh, wait! :( )

Rachel Talalay was born in Chicago Illinois. Her parents, Paul and Prudence, moved to Baltimore to work/teach at Johns Hopkins when she was 4 years old. After studying Applied Mathematics at Yale University, she worked as a computer programmer at Johns Hopkins University. During this time, she met Director John Waters and entered the movie business as a production assistant on his 'Polyester', starring Divine. Here she met Robert Shaye, head of New Line Cinema, and started a long relationship which led to her work on the "Nightmare on Elm Street" films, culminating her relationship with directing "Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare". From there she continued her directing career, moving into television, and working on a wide variety of projects from family entertainment "Wind in the Willows" to Horror "Supernatural" to Comedy "Ally McBeal". In 2014 she became the first American and seventh woman to direct "Doctor Who".

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby shuzbot » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:28 pm

shuzbot wrote:http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-24/is-his-name-really-doctor-who-the-history-of-the-time-lords-moniker---and-showrunner-steven-moffats-view

Is his name really Doctor Who? The history of the Time Lord's moniker - and showrunner Steven Moffat's view
Radio Times's Patrick Mulkern looks into the 55-year muddle and asks Moffat about putting the cat among the pigeons once more

Newman also suggested that the lead character could be a "senile old man" and have no idea who he was. So the show came to be called Doctor Who. Though the name is now iconic, the Doctor's amnesia (or dementia?) never made it into the show, at least not as a permanent aspect of his/her character.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a28912546 ... nal-story/
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:54 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.11 "World Enough and Time".

Trapped on a giant spaceship, caught in the event horizon of a black hole, he witnesses the death of someone he is pledged to protect. Are events already out of control?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:32 am

The Doctor confirms to Bill that Time Lords can change gender.....

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 pm

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Previous

Return to SERIES 10