Total votes: 139
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Rate Ep.12 "The Doctor Falls".
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Don't really know what to make of that tbh. Some of it I thought was really good (liked the Master/Missy stuff) but it did feel a tad long winded, drawn out and dreary/mushy at times ~ especially with all that Cyber-Bill lark.
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

The mother of all muddles.

Everything was happening but nothing was making sense. One of the worst Doctor Who episodes I have ever seen. Completely all over the place with no substance to it whatsoever.

Thank god Moffat is leaving. I'm sick of all this flapping about, all this chopping and changing, all of the tension killers, all the unnecessary one liners.

A complete and utter mess

1 out of 10
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
ericthehalfabee

Complete and utter sh*te 0/10
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

I gave it 9/10. Like the first one, it felt a bit aimless and seems to be part of a three-parter. Capaldi was as good as he has ever been with his 'I don't want to change' but the soppy denouement killed the pace. John Simm, though, the perfect Master, shame we got to see so little of him do anything. Loved the bit where he was cruelly teasing Bill and his line to Nardole when he entered the shuttle made me smile. Nardole deserved a better send-off. Not sure about the Doctor meeting himself, but we will see. :)
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

That was peculiar.

Missy's redemption arc sort of had a pay-off, but it still sort of just petered out.

Pearl was brilliant with her acting, and yeah, I did laugh at Simm discussing bra sizes with a Mondassian, I'm an old scottish perv me :lol:

Nardole had a dignified enough exit, wish he'd done a bit more...in fact the episode was quite light on action throughout, which hurt it a lot. Character work is fine, and I loved Capaldi's stand/fall...a pity he went into random ''resist regen'' mode at the end, I got right shock vibes with the RTD and Moffat era callbacks, Logopolis style.

Utter waste of Simm though..and for heaven's sake, don't cock-tease us with The Master's TARDIS and not bloody show it.

Even Hell Bent was better than this.

Six out of Ten
johnnybear

ericthehalfabee wrote:Complete and utter sh*te 0/10
Although I haven't seen the episode yet, it's nice to know that Moffat hasn't failed to live up to his reputation for failing to impress us all on the concluding episode of the two parter and end of the series! Thank f*** he's leaving! :roll:
JB
TheDentistOfDavros

7/10

Enjoyed most of it, Simm was so cruelly underused though. Loved Capaldi's performance and all the Master and Missy stuff, the Cybermen were cool (the flying is still annoying) but the thing that lost most of the marks for me was that stupid bloody puddle! Why? How? It was so stupid that I can't even think of any questions to ask. I'm fine with Bill coming back as she was a great character and deserved to live but it was just stupid. Then it got quite soppy but once they left to explore the universe (or do whatever it was they were going to do) it was actually quite good.

Can't wait for Christmas! :D
PatTroughtonFan

I think what we have here is two very different opinions. Many 9/10 s and many 1/10. If we take a step back and look at this, I don't think anyone can realy justify a 1/10. It's your opinion of course but not even time flight or the twin dilemma is not 1/10. 1/10 would suggest that it can't get any worse however the music, production quality, acting, costume design and directing were all good and I think people aren't factoring in these for their score. It's your opinion of course and I'm sure those who gave it a 1 are proberly doing it as they didn't enjoy the story and I assume they are judging it by that alone and I'm sure if they factored those in the episode could drum up at least a 4/10 I assume so but I don't know. The final scene was great though.
There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. -The Doctor
ericthehalfabee

PatTroughtonFan wrote:I think what we have here is two very different opinions. Many 9/10 s and many 1/10. If we take a step back and look at this, I don't think anyone can realy justify a 1/10. It's your opinion of course but not even time flight or the twin dilemma is not 1/10. 1/10 would suggest that it can't get any worse however the music, production quality, acting costume design and directing were all good and I think people aren't factoring in these for their score. It's your opinion of course and I'm sure those who gave it a 1 are proberly doing it as they didn't enjoy the story and I assume they are judging it by that alone. I assume so but I don't know. The final scene was great though.
The production values bring it out of the minus scores. And of course The Twin Dilemma isn't a 1. It's ace.
chap with wings

Best episode of Doctor Who since The End of Time. I cheered, I laughed and I cried lots.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Polls for Moffat's worst series: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5724

And best: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5723
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
StellarX

Wasn't bad but suffered from the awful legacy of last week. Gave it a middle-of-the-road 5/10.

The characterful scenes were very powerful. Such a shame that any sense of overall plot had to be so completely abandoned to shoe-horn them in.

Cannot escape the feeling that Steven Moffat cares too much, therefore he tries too hard, thus is too clever by far, ergo requires incredible contrivances of narrative to support his ideas. How I long for straightforward 'situation' plots without all the intricate spaff. We had a couple of those this season, and they were the highlights for me.

Despite being leaked ages ago, nice to see David Bradley back in the wig.

EDIT:

P.S. The Puddle reappearance was physically painful. Is Bill gay?
DSJR

I'm currently so angry and confused I can't give it a score. Production effects were great and I suppose it's easier for Pearl to speak her lines as 'Bill' rather than a Cyberman. The 'puddle' reset button was sadly expected, so easy to shrug off but not the girl-on-girl snog which I honestly thought was unnecessary. Simm is brilliant though, when not over-acting like he did first time round - he just needed a decent script and sensible direction. All too easy in this series these days to wave a magic wand and that's what angers me so...
Shaving Foamasi

Gave it an 8.

My only quibble really was that Missy didn't anticipate her former self would rather kill himself/herself than stand with the Doctor.

Moff's best season finale...
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
ericthehalfabee

Best laugh out loud review of the night so far:

"Preferred Bill as a Cyberman."
Braxiatel

Re: The Master- so we got a Dollar Tree version of what happened to Peter Egan's Straxus and Kotris (Toby Jones) in Dark Eyes I far as both Simm and Dollar Tree brand Joan Cusack. Did I deduced this right?
Happygolucky

10 for last week and an 8 for tonight, it would have been a 9 but the puddle sh*te was really annoying and it kind of repeated the Clara scene when she left, zooming around the universe!! Capaldi was fantastic, Simm was brilliant but needed using more, Missy was brilliant too, Lucas finally got something to do, he was wasted in this series, shame. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Christmas special.
Regards HGL
jezt42

To misquote Jon Pertwee, this episode had moments of brilliance and moments of awfulness.

Gave it a 7.

Loved the Doctor's speech to Missy and The Master re kindness, which again proves what a phenomenal actor Peter Capaldi is.

I'd have rather there had been a story with the Doctor just fighting the Mondasian Cybermen (with no flying or clanking feet) and another story with him tussling with Master/Missy. I felt there was too much going on, which resulted in a lot of under-developed story threads and, as mentioned above by others, a woefully underused John Simm.

Also, I really wish that the story resolution didn't rely on having watched previous episodes. Anyone who hadn't watched this season's first episode wouldn't have had a clue what was going on. And this only serves to alienate the casual viewer, something I hope Chris Chibnall will put right next season.

Despite the cop-out resolution, I am VERY much looking forward to the Christmas episode!
Dragonsire

So torn on this...3 nods to doctor being female..annoying...Heather get out of jail free card.....really annoying...Missy Plot going nowhere...and possible death of the Master???, Guess maybe they have the off screen death of Simm to either keep him going for ages or insert more Masters between the two. Only Bill lived? How? 3 versions of cybermen evolved to the various forms....wasted, they now cannot be true mondassian versions if they have evolved, so they are more another off shoot group? And what happened to the ship? Master's Tardis teased...argh.

The good: Bill acting was great, 1st Doctor awesome, emotional. The Tone was perfect. Gonna have to say 5.

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information