6%
7%
3%
6%
5%
13%

Total votes: 139
Llamastrangler

The Doctor Falls is a superb finale and possibly Moffat's magnum opus... http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot. ... .html?m=1‬
Have a look at my blog. It's sort of ok

http://llamastranglermarathon.blogspot.com/
Hartnell's Wig

An awful, awful mess.

At least Bradley int playin' t'Doctor wi' a northern accent sithee.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Spam Fritter wrote: how does it sit with our current knowledge of Mondas. The hyper evolution of Mondasian into Telosian cybermen. Was expecting a revelation of how the Master twisted the development.

Maybe I need to think less about it..........
All you need to do to make sense of NuWho with regard to reconciling what they're doing to elements of the real show is treat them as two different shows. That way you avoid having to think about the Brigadier you know and (might) love as a f*****g Cyberman. Or just why it is that the Doctor would choose to be an OAP version of his former self on retirement, to sit around in a f*****g museum. Or why he'd even retire at all.

For example.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
DarachAnLaoch

I'm so sad. I was really enjoying it until it took a complete nose dive towards the end. Of course Moffat wouldn't kill Bill (hoho) but throughout the episode i had just the slightest bit of optimism that he would stick to his guns and Bill would remain a cyberman and choose to end her life with the Doctor. It would've been sad and poignant. But what's good drama when we can puss out YET AGAIN and get points from the PC brigade for some more shoehorned lesbianism. Ugh. Just one more Moffat episode and then hopefully Doctor Who will come back with the real Season 31 and the last 7 years will all have been a terrible, terrible nightmare.
iank

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
Spam Fritter wrote: how does it sit with our current knowledge of Mondas. The hyper evolution of Mondasian into Telosian cybermen. Was expecting a revelation of how the Master twisted the development.

Maybe I need to think less about it..........
All you need to do to make sense of NuWho with regard to reconciling what they're doing to elements of the real show is treat them as two different shows. That way you avoid having to think about the Brigadier you know and (might) love as a f*****g Cyberman. Or just why it is that the Doctor would choose to be an OAP version of his former self on retirement, to sit around in a f*****g museum. Or why he'd even retire at all.

For example.
New Who has always been televised fan-fiction. And like fan-fiction in general, some of it is actually pretty good, and some of it is mindblowingly embrassing juvenile sh*te. :D
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Sid Rat

lepter wrote:
shuzbot wrote:I also thought the narcissistic, incestuous thing between him and Missy was a nice touch as long as it was a brief thing that could never be realised as it was an allusion to the sickness in the Master's soul.
Hey...as long as it's consensual...where is the harm? :shock:
Masterbation? :twisted:
Amyiszygon

1/10.

It was compete crap.

Really annoyed at myself for hours I must of spent last few months going through Internet trying to find spoilers to what I thought was going to be Dr Who series to end all series and instead we get this.Seriously disappointed... :cry:
Amyiszygon

"That's funny. I had hope there would be stars ... "

Also who else on here feels like me that Peter Calpaldi should of regenerated the moment after he said that ?

You know instead of that crap we got with him back in Tardis. Man, I can not wait till Moffat is finally gone ...

:cry:
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

greystone_06 wrote:
PatTroughtonFan wrote:I think what we have here is two very different opinions. Many 9/10 s and many 1/10. If we take a step back and look at this, I don't think anyone can realy justify a 1/10. It's your opinion of course but not even time flight or the twin dilemma is not 1/10. 1/10 would suggest that it can't get any worse however the music, production quality, acting, costume design and directing were all good and I think people aren't factoring in these for their score. It's your opinion of course and I'm sure those who gave it a 1 are proberly doing it as they didn't enjoy the story and I assume they are judging it by that alone and I'm sure if they factored those in the episode could drum up at least a 4/10 I assume so but I don't know. The final scene was great though.
I think if we step back and look at this a 1 out of 10 could be deemed quite generous. Twin Dilemma was far more enjoyable than that rubbish, if only for the all be it unintended comedic element. And how condescending of you to decide for us what we should be thinking. Judging something on the quality of the story? How outrageous! :floorroll:
Sorry, it must be bad as the Twin Dilema is absolute sh*t.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

DarachAnLaoch wrote:I'm so sad. I was really enjoying it until it took a complete nose dive towards the end. Of course Moffat wouldn't kill Bill (hoho) but throughout the episode i had just the slightest bit of optimism that he would stick to his guns and Bill would remain a cyberman and choose to end her life with the Doctor. It would've been sad and poignant. But what's good drama when we can puss out YET AGAIN and get points from the PC brigade for some more shoehorned lesbianism. Ugh. Just one more Moffat episode and then hopefully Doctor Who will come back with the real Season 31 and the last 7 years will all have been a terrible, terrible nightmare.
It's not being "PC". Moffat has probably watched too much Netflix and been bombarded with lesbian characters and decided he didn't want to miss out. The key was in one of Pearl Mackie's early interview. It's time to have a gay companion or something like that. Not "we should", but "it's time".

Besides Moffat's always had a thing for lesbian characters.

He just wants to be trendy and hip that's all and he fails miserably.

Anyway, we've got Chibbers to look forward to.

Someone else for people to moan about no doubt.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

PatTroughtonFan wrote:I think what we have here is two very different opinions. Many 9/10 s and many 1/10. If we take a step back and look at this, I don't think anyone can realy justify a 1/10. It's your opinion of course but not even time flight or the twin dilemma is not 1/10. 1/10 would suggest that it can't get any worse however the music, production quality, acting, costume design and directing were all good and I think people aren't factoring in these for their score. It's your opinion of course and I'm sure those who gave it a 1 are proberly doing it as they didn't enjoy the story and I assume they are judging it by that alone and I'm sure if they factored those in the episode could drum up at least a 4/10 I assume so but I don't know. The final scene was great though.
Basically I've learned to ignore the 1/10's and the 10/10's. They're basically people with terminal cases of Moffatlove/Moffathate and/or trolls.

The clue is to look back on individual's reviews. Some give 1/10 sometimes and sometimes enjoy the episode, these are the people whose opinions you can take as reliable. Just because some people complain about NuWho doesn't mean they can't look at the episodes objectively. You can take these people's views as genuine.

Those who always rate each episode highly or always give it a 1 can be ignored. They're just Moffat hate/Lovers and really don't contribute anything worthwhile to the debate.

If you look through the reviews of the various stories it's easy to work out who these various people are.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

One other thing.

A lot of people seem to be hung up on the fact that Bill's gay.

The constant references to it are annoying, but as Moffat can't actually show her being gay (this isn't Orange is the New Black after all. I wonder if people on here have a problem with the amount of "gayness" on that programme?) so he has to constantly remind us she is gay in case we forget(?). ;)

Unfortunately when you do PG rated gay you can't really show them being gay.

Costuming doesn't even give any visual clues to Bill being gay, in the case of Eaters of Light more bad taste than anything elsein the case of those trousers.

Anyway I won't see the episode until tonight so I can only comment on aspects of the reviews.
Flying Tiger Comics

I gave it a 1 out of 10 and am optimistic for the new series only because Moffat, the bad producer but good writer, has pushed Who so far up its own right-on McCoyvian arse that it will have to swing back towards normalcy for mathematical if not quality and taste reasons.
Doctor Who extend-a-story: write your own adventures! http://thezombienomicon.com/eas/read.php?episode=63
Amyiszygon

Servorobot wrote:
Basically I've learned to ignore the 1/10's and the 10/10's. They're basically people with terminal cases of Moffatlove/Moffathate and/or trolls.
Ah this is joke right ? Because I'm not laughing ... :cry:

I gave it 1/10 not because I'm some as you describe me, 'Moffat Troll' who instantly hates everything he does and tries to dismiss and dismisses anything good that he accomplishes by completely ignoring it or ruining it. I gave it 1/10 because I have had nothing in the past but respect and praise for him, both as writer and showrunner and it's knowing all this, what he's really truely capable of, is why I gave him a 1/10 because nothing about this episode or any of episodes previous on this show for past five seasons reaches those justifiably high expectations we have of him. I'm sorry that can't see it but like I said before in past you can hate something and like it, all at same time ...

:?
Amyiszygon

Flying Tiger Comics wrote:I gave it a 1 out of 10 and am optimistic for the new series only because Moffat, the bad producer but good writer, has pushed Who so far up its own right-on McCoyvian arse that it will have to swing back towards normalcy for mathematical if not quality and taste reasons.
Dude tell me about it ... :roll:
johnshoo

shuzbot wrote:
lepter wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Moffat gave us the first Lesbian Cyberman, just think about that.
You mean she was a lesbian!!!! I would never of guessed. Now she's a water based immortal lesbian being.
That bit at the end where Bill said something about liking people who are young and female and then just went off really had me going WTF? Is that it? Her whole character. Nothing more. Nothing about her mum that seemed to be foreshadowed or anything like that? Pearl is great but what a sh*t character. The whole moment was so discordant that it felt like a self-deprecating sketch.
Capaldi's face when she said that was perfect, IMO. Like the Doctor was thinking "WTF did she bring that up for?"
johnshoo

I have to agree with those saying this episode was a mixed bag. The episode was very meandering. It felt like most of it was spent building up to a final battle which consisted of the Doctor very literally waving the sonic screwdriver around like Harry Potter waving his magic wand. After a very good part one, this was mildly disappointing (though not unexpected).

On the bright side though, despite having a lot in common with last year's finale, I felt Moffat restrained himself a bit as compared to past finales and the end result is a lot more watchable than some of the pure sh*t we've received in the previous few years. I'd certainly rate "The Doctor Falls" quite a bit higher than say, "Wedding of River Song", "Time of the Doctor", "Death in Heaven" or "Hell Bent".

I didn't find Bill's "resurrection" as annoying as Clara's (thanfully she didn't get her own TARDIS), but let's be real - this was more or less the same trick that Moffat pulled in the last series finale, just slightly better executed.

The performances, particularly Capaldi and John Simm were very good. Shame that Simm ended up not really doing anything.

The final few moments with Capaldi fighting off his regeneration and then the appearance of David Bradley were well done.

The episode didn't treat Bill's Cyber-conversion as poorly as certain previous episodes of Nu Who (see: "Closing Time"), but it is kind of annoying that we have yet another person in Nu Who who can fend off being reprogrammed into a Cyberman. The did play up the trauma of her condition for a few minutes in the scene in the barn and she mentioned feeling like she was being "taken over" a few minutes later, but other than than she acted petty much normal. I don't care if you're turned into a water monster or what: Being altered into a Cyberman should be f***ing traumatic and not something you just walk off.

Also, Mondosian Cyberman speaking like Nu Who Cybusmen, using terms like "upgraded". Sigh. I get reusing the costumes because those probably cost a lot of money, but if you go tot he trouble of bringing back the original Cyberman then they should be differentiated from the bastardized version that has plagued the show for the past decade.

So yeah, it was okay, I guess? The bad parts weren't that bad and the good parts were pretty good, so I'm feeling a light 6.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Initially, I couldn't work out why Capaldi was saying he was the original Doctor other than as a forced lead into the first Doctor turning up, but then I remembered this: http://screenertv.com/television/doctor ... eory-1995/ which is a sh*t idea.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
Pat's fur coat

Servorobot wrote:One other thing.

A lot of people seem to be hung up on the fact that Bill's gay.

The constant references to it are annoying, but as Moffat can't actually show her being gay (this isn't Orange is the New Black after all. I wonder if people on here have a problem with the amount of "gayness" on that programme?) so he has to constantly remind us she is gay in case we forget(?). ;)

Unfortunately when you do PG rated gay you can't really show them being gay.
Err, yes he can, and yes he did.

It was much better than Heaven Sent - couldn't be worse... The comparisons to Twin Dilemma are ridiculous. Up until the typical Moffat 'oh sh*t I've tied myself in multiple plot knots and need a bail out' god out of a puddle, it was quite good. Unfortunately the 'Clara redux' ending spoiled things (together with the unfortunate 'romance' between the masters and Bill reminding she is gay every 5 minutes).

I expect we haven't seen the end of Nardole. If we have then I agree with Shuzbot - it was a very lazy effort for that character.

7/10.
lordnellie

Eee, you miserable buggers... I thought that was great!

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information