7%
3%
6%
5%
13%

Total votes : 139

Re: Rate "The Doctor Falls"

Postby johnnybear » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Sid Rat wrote:Since when could a Time Lord hold back regenerating through sheer force of will? It was always a simple biological process before that occurred when their body was too old or badly damaged to continue.

While we're at it, am I the only one who thought the Master telling Missy not to bother trying to regenerate because he'd given her 'a full blast' of his sonic laser or whatever naff weapon he was wielding was beyond pathetic? Aside from the fact that we've seen Time Lords survive worse, a huge deal was made about how difficult it is to kill a Time Lord earlier this series when Missy was supposed to be executed. Yet the Master implies he could manage it with a single shot! If you insist on including a story arc then for goodness sake adhere to some basic internal logic.

Peter Davison held back his regeneration at the end of part three of Caves of Androzani! He was worried about saving Peri's life and that he had gotten her into trouble to start with and Stotz and the others wouldn't be able to stop him now!
JB
johnnybear

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby Jacksen C Frame » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:25 pm

johnnybear wrote:
Sid Rat wrote:Since when could a Time Lord hold back regenerating through sheer force of will? It was always a simple biological process before that occurred when their body was too old or badly damaged to continue.

While we're at it, am I the only one who thought the Master telling Missy not to bother trying to regenerate because he'd given her 'a full blast' of his sonic laser or whatever naff weapon he was wielding was beyond pathetic? Aside from the fact that we've seen Time Lords survive worse, a huge deal was made about how difficult it is to kill a Time Lord earlier this series when Missy was supposed to be executed. Yet the Master implies he could manage it with a single shot! If you insist on including a story arc then for goodness sake adhere to some basic internal logic.

Peter Davison held back his regeneration at the end of part three of Caves of Androzani! He was worried about saving Peri's life and that he had gotten her into trouble to start with and Stotz and the others wouldn't be able to stop him now!
JB

Although never stated, in The Tenth Planet it could be argued that the first Doctor spent the latter episodes holding off the regeneration process, he knows it's going to happen but battles to get back the safety of the Tardis before succumbing to the change. In The Planet of the Spiders it could also be argued that the third Doctor spent some time fighting against the process as the Brig and Sarah Jane wait for weeks before the Tardis pilots him back to Earth and safety. We have the tenth Doctor managing to 'control' and use regeneration energy(?) after being shot by a Dalek. So perhaps Doctor number twelve is not the first to put up a struggle against regeneration?
Jacksen C Frame

Postby johnnybear » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Jacksen C Frame wrote:
johnnybear wrote:

JB

Although never stated, in The Tenth Planet it could be argued that the first Doctor spent the latter episodes holding off the regeneration process, he knows it's going to happen but battles to get back the safety of the Tardis before succumbing to the change. In The Planet of the Spiders it could also be argued that the third Doctor spent some time fighting against the process as the Brig and Sarah Jane wait for weeks before the Tardis pilots him back to Earth and safety. We have the tenth Doctor managing to 'control' and use regeneration energy(?) after being shot by a Dalek. So perhaps Doctor number twelve is not the first to put up a struggle against regeneration?

Aha! We've no real evidence that the Third Doctor held off his regeneration for weeks as that was only in a short story I believe and the fact that Sarah and The Brig were waiting weeks might have been caused by The TARDIS becoming lost in the vortex like Pertwee says, so it might just be a malfunction that made The TARDIS turn up forty odd days later than it should have!
As for Hartnell, a lot of the he's holding back the change was also written into novels and the like but he is holding it back in The Tenth Planet that is very obvious!
By the way who exactly was that blue alien and what was he doing on a ship from Mondas anyway?
JB
johnnybear

Postby Rob Ocelot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:09 pm

johnnybear wrote: As for Hartnell, a lot of the he's holding back the change was also written into novels and the like but he is holding it back in The Tenth Planet that is very obvious!
By the way who exactly was that blue alien and what was he doing on a ship from Mondas anyway?
JB

My theory is that the ship wasn't from Mondas at all, but an Earth Colony ship in the future with the name "Mondas". The infographic Missy brings up shows a picture of the Earth (with continents right-side-up). The only way it makes sense is if the blue alien is part of a skeleton crew that was outside contracted to bring the ship safely to it's destination. It doesn't make a lick of sense if it's people escaping Mondas in the past before it's return in 1986 -- if the ship was so advanced, with holo farms and basically unlimited energy, why would anyone bother to remain on Mondas?

We never did find out where the ship was going, did we? Perhaps the destination planet was a 'new' Earth-like planet they dubbed "Mondas" (unaware of the irony of calling it such). Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but "Earth", "Mundus", and "Kosmos" are all actually the same word translated into different languages.
Rob Ocelot

Postby david_gregory » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:36 pm

I saw 10 minutes of the season opener and about the same for one of the other episodes, but didn't bother watching anything else of the season as once again, it appeared to be another pile of crap from one of the show's worst front-runners ever!

So glad he's going!
#STOP-THE-ASIAN-DOG-MEAT-TRADE

#END-FACTORY-FARMING
david_gregory

Postby johnnybear » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 am

david_gregory wrote:I saw 10 minutes of the season opener and about the same for one of the other episodes, but didn't bother watching anything else of the season as once again, it appeared to be another pile of crap from one of the show's worst front-runners ever!

So glad he's going!

Couldn't agree more, I hate the man! :twisted:
JB
johnnybear

Postby lepter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 pm

david_gregory wrote:I saw 10 minutes of the season opener and about the same for one of the other episodes, but didn't bother watching anything else of the season as once again, it appeared to be another pile of crap from one of the show's worst front-runners ever!

So glad he's going!

Everything that Steven Moffat didn't write was quite good. The rest was pants. Second the glad he's going thing though.
lepter

Postby shuzbot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 am

Doctor Who’s Peter Capaldi had a VERY nerdy complaint about the return of the Mondasian Cybermen
Proving he’s a true Doctor Who fan once and for all

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-09- ... -cybermen/
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Natalia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm

I really liked this one despite the ending. It was great to see Missy and The Master together! I gave it 8.
Natalia

Postby thecypher » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Natalia wrote:I really liked this one despite the ending. It was great to see Missy and The Master together! I gave it 8.

.. Well then xd

"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
thecypher

Postby Plain Old Dave » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 am

-Bill--->CyberBill: I really thought this was a masterful plot device. Bill sees herself as she thinks she is, but when we switch to other POVs we see CyberBill. Genius.

-Nardole's exit: Very well done. Not gushy, not "Well.... Bye!" On point.

-Bill's exit (maybe): Best companion exit of the post-2005 series.

-The Master/Missy: Well done, too, and there's definitely space for a return of the Master/Mistress at some future point.

-Story overall was good.

-The Doctor: I can understand why he doesn't want to regenerate; the Logopolis callback was a lot more Companions with bad endings than good, including the un-do of Clara Oswald's memory wipe. And he hasn't had a companion just not travel with him anymore since Ten and Martha.

This was, again, a show worthy of being called Doctor Who. Even had a hopeful ending. I haven't been this bought-in to DW in over 35 years. And there must have been some early July 4th smoke in the room while I was watching.

11/10.
Plain Old Dave

Postby Servorobot » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:12 am

Personally it reminded me of Thanksgiving, but that’s just me. :D
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Plain Old Dave » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 am

Just watched it inflight without interruption. DW perfection, sideways 8. This is the only 2005+ ep I would buy on DVD.
Plain Old Dave

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm

I was confused - so the Master basically disappeared up their own arsehole by murdering himself before she even existed. Or something.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby LizR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 am

feline1 wrote:I was confused - so the Master basically disappeared up their own arsehole by murdering himself before she even existed. Or something.

You should read Barrington Bayley's "Love in Backspace" - which unfortunately I can't find online at present, though it used to be.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 pm

One (or should that be two?) for the album.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 am

LizR wrote:
feline1 wrote:I was confused - so the Master basically disappeared up their own arsehole by murdering himself before she even existed. Or something.

You should read Barrington Bayley's "Love in Backspace" - which unfortunately I can't find online at present, though it used to be.

Here it is! IMHO it puts Moffat in perspective...

https://mayastestblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/love-in-backspace-by-barrington-j-bayley/
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Rate Ep.12 "The Doctor Falls".

The Doctor makes a final stand against an army of Cybermen to protect a tiny band of humans from destruction.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Rate "The Doctor Farts"

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:00 pm

From the BBC's Writer's Room:

Series 10, Episode 12 - 'The Doctor Falls'
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Previous

Return to SERIES 10