Dark Thoughts About The Eaters of Light

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi

Dark Thoughts About The Eaters of Light

Postby shuzbot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:46 am

I am paying homage here to Torchwood's thread on The Pilot (http://www.planetmondas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5472) and hoping to discuss some of the themes in Eaters of Light.

I can't help feeling that this one was aimed at children more than usual as they occasionally seem to be. The pre-credit sequence backs this up.

So it's a coming of age story where boys step into the shoes of their predecessors and become men. Obviously dark is usually synonymous with evil and light with good. In addition to that, one of our earliest primal fears as children is a fear of the dark and so the Eaters of Light are symbolic of that. And this is what they are based on: These are the monsters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictish_Beast

Another part of growing up is an increased awareness of sexuality. As has been noted, the Romans had different view on sexuality to us

Symbolism and Superstitions of the Old World

Charles Dickens memorably described the crow as “that sedate and clerical bird” in The Mystery of Edwin Drood. He named it a rook, a common confusion.

In Irish mythology, crows are associated with Morrigan, the goddess of war and death. The god Bran the Blessed whose names means ‘crow’ or ‘raven’ is associated with corvids and death. His severed head is said to be buried under the Tower of London facing toward France, a possible origin for the keeping of ravens in the Tower, which are said to protect the fortunes of Britain. In Cornish folklore crows and particularly magpies are again associated with death and the ‘otherworld’, and must always be greeted with respect. The origin of ‘counting crows’ as augury is British; however the British versions rather count magpies – their black and white pied colouring reflecting the realms of both the living and the dead.

The Celts believed that Crow was an omen of death and conflict. She was associated with death transitions. Another belief was that the birds were faeries who shape-shifted to cause troubles. Magickal qualities included bringing knowledge, shape-shifting, eloquence, prophecy, boldness, skill, knowledge, cunning, trickery and thievery.

In the Middle Ages, people believed that sorcerers and witches used the symbol of Crow’s foot to cast death spells.
In most of England, seeing a solitary crow meant anger, but in Northamptonshire, it meant ill fortune. Crow, cawing in a hoarse voice, meant bad weather. A death omen was a crow cawing thrice as it flew over a house. The Irish believed that Crow flocking in trees, but not nesting were souls from Purgatory. Finding a dead crow was a sign of good fortune. Russians believed that witches took the shape of Crow.

Nardole's attire was very reminscent of Arthur Dent’s dressing gown.

In the opening scene where she talks about a book she read The Doctor is patronising to Bill and to The Gate Keeper when he first meets her and tries to get in the way of their bravery later when they want to close the gate. He constantly undervalues everybody in this and doesn't resolve anything - just explains what is going on, c.f. just prior to Nardole's death by Scotland comment. This provides a delicious irony to his patronising and in the final scene, they both admit they got it wrong. It's a very human moment.

The whole thing was a coming of age story, The Doctor couldn't be allowed to get in the way of that. How did people feel about the ineffectiveness of The Doctor?
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Dark Thoughts About The Eaters of Light

Postby shuzbot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 am

The god Bran the Blessed whose names means ‘crow’ or ‘raven’ is associated with corvids and death. His severed head is said to be buried under the Tower of London facing toward France, a possible origin for the keeping of ravens in the Tower, which are said to protect the fortunes of Britain.

Bran is also relevant to Under The Lake/Before the Flood. The Fisher King from Arthurian legend may be based on Bran the Blessed who in Welsh mythology resurrected the dead to follow him using a cauldron. His dead followers could not speak.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Re: Dark Thoughts About The Eaters of Light

Postby LizR » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 am

shuzbot wrote:
The god Bran the Blessed whose names means ‘crow’ or ‘raven’ is associated with corvids and death. His severed head is said to be buried under the Tower of London facing toward France, a possible origin for the keeping of ravens in the Tower, which are said to protect the fortunes of Britain.

Bran is also relevant to Under The Lake/Before the Flood. The Fisher King from Arthurian legend may be based on Bran the Blessed who in Welsh mythology resurrected the dead to follow him using a cauldron. His dead followers could not speak.

I believe Bran the Blessed has been reincarnated in modern times as someone whose voice could raise the dead, and who often doesn't let anyone in the vicinity get a word in edgeways.

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Return to SERIES 10