Xmas Special 2017: Twice upon a Time

For discussion of series 10 of Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi

Re: Xmas Special 2017: Twice upon a Time

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 am

shuzbot wrote:Jesus Christ, look at the state of Ben :? Looks more like Frank Spencer

Must admit, thought I was looking at something out of Only Fools and Horses at first...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Did post this on the Series Ten Spoiler Thread but might as well bung it here as well. That Children in Need TUAT preview clip thing. A bit silly innit.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:33 am

"I am younger!" ?

No he isn't, quite obviously. :roll:
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby -JMW- » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 am

LizR wrote:"I am younger!" ?

He clearly means it in terms of physical appearance...though obviously it's also a third wall breaking nod to the fans.

Interesting that Peter Capaldi's Doc has the upper hand on his younger self - it makes sense as he has the additional experience.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby LizR » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:23 am

-JMW- wrote:
LizR wrote:"I am younger!" ?

He clearly means it in terms of physical appearance...though obviously it's also a third wall breaking nod to the fans.

Interesting that Peter Capaldi's Doc has the upper hand on his younger self - it makes sense as he has the additional experience.

Don't you mean the "fourth wall" ? :)

Yes, I got it, of course he meant by appearance. But I thought it was still worth pointing out, because if I remember correctly even back in "The Three Doctors" the later incarnations acted as though Hartnell's version had seniority. (Unless perhaps this is a Time Lord thing and they actually forget stuff when they regenerate? Although that would spoil your comment above re experience ... still, I'd kinda expect Time Lords to be a bit beyond judging by the appearance of age.)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:38 am

New promo image and brief synopsis thingy for TUAT.

"Enchanted glass people, stealing their victims from frozen time?"
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby alvin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:48 pm

I think the idea in both 'The Three Doctors' and later in 'The Five Doctors' was that William Hartnell's first Doctor was the 'original' being....the later 'selves' were sort of 're-incarnations' of the original individual with revised physical looks and personality but who retained the previous incarnations memories - indeed a clear 'link' was always evident as each version of The Doctor recognises the other(s) and even Hartnell's first Doctor immediately recognises...and is unimpressed by...his 'replacements' ! ('a dandy and a clown')

also when Tom Baker's fourth Doctor regenerates into Peter Davison's fifth Doctor for a moment during the transformation (an unusual one as the 'future' ghostly 'Watcher' Doctor is melding into The fourth Doctor's badly injured body after his fall ....) we briefly see the long flowing white hair of the 'original' Doctor evident for a few seconds during the melding......then the youthful 'pleasant open face' (!) of the fifth Doctor appears - this implies each new Doctor is a fresh incarnation based upon the blueprint of the original and thus 'senior' Doctor - maybe why each later Doctor duly retains some aspects of Hartnell's first Doctor ?

that is - Troughton's eccentricity yet sudden firm assertiveness, Pertwee's arrogance and self confidence, Tom Baker's brusqueness and at times throwing a strop plus 'eye acting' , Davison's short sighted eyes and deductive qualities, Colin Baker's temper and unpredictability, McCoy's elusive inquisitiveness - plus each having the same brilliance and 'alien' quality of a Timeless 'wanderer in eternity, lost in the fourth dimension...'

so the original Doctor is the template upon which all later Doctors are based, they are variations on the core being's theme and soul...hence the 'seniority' and respect the later Doctors show towards him - like 'grown up schoolboys before their old Headmaster' !
alvin

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:15 pm

New trailer for TUAT has been stuck out then. Glimpse of one them Glass People things and what appears to be the usual firework display...

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby paulhickling » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 pm

alvin wrote:I think the idea in both 'The Three Doctors' and later in 'The Five Doctors' was that William Hartnell's first Doctor was the 'original' being....the later 'selves' were sort of 're-incarnations' of the original individual with revised physical looks and personality but who retained the previous incarnations memories - indeed a clear 'link' was always evident as each version of The Doctor recognises the other(s) and even Hartnell's first Doctor immediately recognises...and is unimpressed by...his 'replacements' ! ('a dandy and a clown')

also when Tom Baker's fourth Doctor regenerates into Peter Davison's fifth Doctor for a moment during the transformation (an unusual one as the 'future' ghostly 'Watcher' Doctor is melding into The fourth Doctor's badly injured body after his fall ....) we briefly see the long flowing white hair of the 'original' Doctor evident for a few seconds during the melding......then the youthful 'pleasant open face' (!) of the fifth Doctor appears - this implies each new Doctor is a fresh incarnation based upon the blueprint of the original and thus 'senior' Doctor - maybe why each later Doctor duly retains some aspects of Hartnell's first Doctor ?

that is - Troughton's eccentricity yet sudden firm assertiveness, Pertwee's arrogance and self confidence, Tom Baker's brusqueness and at times throwing a strop plus 'eye acting' , Davison's short sighted eyes and deductive qualities, Colin Baker's temper and unpredictability, McCoy's elusive inquisitiveness - plus each having the same brilliance and 'alien' quality of a Timeless 'wanderer in eternity, lost in the fourth dimension...'

so the original Doctor is the template upon which all later Doctors are based, they are variations on the core being's theme and soul...hence the 'seniority' and respect the later Doctors show towards him - like 'grown up schoolboys before their old Headmaster' !

"we briefly see the long flowing white hair of the 'original' Doctor"

Think you're reading more into that than is actually there. It's just Davison's hair being slowly morphed in. But as fans we all have hopeful views...
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Rob Ocelot » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Sometimes, we as fans like to see things that were never there in the first place.

Case in point:

In THE TIME MONSTER when the Doctor is ejected into the vortex by Kronos the TARDIS homes in on the Doctor's thoughts. Jo can hear a number of voices, including the 3rd Doctor's who later explains that the other voices were his 'subconscious thoughts' (perhaps of regenerations yet-to-be). One of the voices is clearly female. Fans never thought much of that scene for 40+ years until a woman was announced as the lead.

So, was the Barry Letts-era production team being amazingly prophetic and progressive?

I doubt it, but that's not going to stop fans from being fans and loudly proclaiming that the seeds for a female Doctor were already written into the DNA of the show. Form always follows fact in fandom, especially when the fans-turned-pro are holding the reins.
Rob Ocelot

Previous

Return to SERIES 10