7%
6%
21%

Total votes: 148
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Her middle name is Auckland!

I grew up in Auckland Road (in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire) and now live in Auckland, New Zealand. Maybe this is a sign that JAW will be my favourite Doctor :)
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

It was ok, I suppose.

A bit slight on story and full of the usual gaping plotholes, but it passed the time and it was good by Moffat standards (which isn’t saying much I know),

Better than anything involving a Kardashian or a Real Housewife, but then so is being boiled in a vat of hot tar, so I maybe damning it with faint praise.

The regeneration was a bit like Pond’s Lipstick, it went on and on and on. So much so I completely lost interest in what he was crapping on about.

I should add my family hated the episode and started chanting “Jodie”, “Jodie”, when Capaldi started his rant.

Best bits, The Tenth Planet clips and Jodie’s appearance. A Doctor without a TARDIS, stripped of all those Moffat excesses sounds intriguing.

Bring back UNIT I say!

Anyway, It’s nowhere near a 10, but certainly not a 1 either, so I went for a 6!
StellarX

It really was a dreadful episode. David Bradley was excellent as the first doctor but the whole situation and basis of the story were terrible. There was some decent dialogue/exchanges between the two Doctors - but that's not enough to carry a Christmas Special.

Watched it out of duty more than anything and vain hope that Moffat might just pull something out of the bag to redeem himself after catastrophic recent seasons. What we got was the 'same old'. Rubbish and good riddance.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Servorobot wrote:A Doctor without a TARDIS, stripped of all those Moffat excesses sounds intriguing.
Yes that's what I thought. (Maybe she'll end up with the first Doctor's TARDIS?!)
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Hartnell's Wig

greystone_06 wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:Quite enjoyed that but Bradley was awful and the writing for his character was worse.
I won't have that. Bradley did the best he possibly could with the dull material he was given. That's all an actor can do.
Look at those Tenth Planet reshot scenes and compare them to the surviving audio and clips. His delivery of lines is terrible, speaking in halting sentences like William Shatner. He did a terrible job.

"Have you no emotions. ................................... sir?"

Everybody f*cked off in the pause, Dave, we've all forgotten what you were saying anyway.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
Braxiatel

Majic wrote:I always remember Jon Pertwee being asked in the early 90's should Doctor Who come back. He was adamant no and he was right. What we have watched over the past 12 year is not the same show.

Kids are not interested in this anymore. The format is all wrong, far too much talking, dreadful dialogue, annoying music and just not funny enough. Please stop it now

Even by the hour, I wonder how both Human Nature and The Next Doctor (plus onwards) could've been had the only image in both the journal and Cybusman canister been Eccleston and declare the last twelve years as a different pocket universe and continuity from the first 8 just like Battlestar Galactica '03 from the original and 80...
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Lots of nice ingredients, as someone said great production values, actors and everything, but plotwise it seemed as if Moffat got all the ingredients, then threw them all up in the air and put them together in the random order they fell in.

First Doctor so pointlessly ruined as if he was from the age his time was made. Pathetic. As Liz points out, that dismissive attitude she quoted (don't think RTD is quite as nasty, more observational - in his own opinion of course) is in the fu****g script. Moffat really DOES hate Doctor Who doesn't he?

The best to say is it wasn't the non-Doctor Who that last years utterly dire piece of 'work' was, but not a fitting end to the male Doctor either. Though probably a fitting end to the showrunner's time...
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

LizR wrote:
oldschool wrote:And so another lecture from Moffat to tell us all how much better, more zany, madcap and cleverer all this Nu stuff is compared to the ' dull, plodding, boring ' decent sci fi stories we used to get.
An utter waste of time from start to finish except the bits from Tenth Planet. And that incidental music, there was one scene I thought I was back in the McCoy years.
1/10.
So far both showrunners have been determined to prove that old Who was rubbish and theirs is much better.
Steven Moffat wrote:…when I look back at Doctor Who now. I laugh at it, fondly. As a television professional, I think how did these guys get a paycheck every week? Dear god, it’s bad! Nothing I’ve seen of the black and white stuff – with the exception of the pilot, the first episode – should have got out of the building. They should have been clubbing those guys to death! You’ve got an old guy in the lead who can’t remember his lines; you’ve got Patrick Troughton, who was a good actor, but his companions – how did they get their Equity card? Explain that! They’re unimaginably bad. Once you get to the colour stuff some of it’s watchable, but it’s laughable.
Russell T Davies wrote:Also, it's a lot more emotionally literate. Back in the 1960s, sheer spectacle was enough. You'd have show like Danger Man in which there was plenty of action, but you never had any idea what the characters were feeling. That's not the case with our show.
"Wrong, sir! You lose!"
I agree with what you're saying about Moffatt, but RTD is talking about a different series, and always praised the original DW series in public. When he got one of his awards he remarked about how brilliant Verity and Newman were in the first place for a start, and said he loved ALL Doctor Who, including the McCoys even how the tv movie might be the best ever directed episode.

For all the similarities, and the fact that those two (and Chibnall) are mates, RTD has always seemed to me the most pleasant of them and most respectful of Classic Who despite his desire to improve it on it's return.
darnall42

Martin_Kinsella wrote:https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/9 ... 0794299392

Deleted scene. Pretty interesting
very right on :D
johnnybear

If I watch Tenth Planet again or get to see the complete story (I can hope can't I?) I'm not going to try and insert the Twice Upon A Time scenario into this outright classic!
JB
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

paulhickling wrote:
LizR wrote:
oldschool wrote:And so another lecture from Moffat to tell us all how much better, more zany, madcap and cleverer all this Nu stuff is compared to the ' dull, plodding, boring ' decent sci fi stories we used to get.
An utter waste of time from start to finish except the bits from Tenth Planet. And that incidental music, there was one scene I thought I was back in the McCoy years.
1/10.
So far both showrunners have been determined to prove that old Who was rubbish and theirs is much better.
Steven Moffat wrote:…when I look back at Doctor Who now. I laugh at it, fondly. As a television professional, I think how did these guys get a paycheck every week? Dear god, it’s bad! Nothing I’ve seen of the black and white stuff – with the exception of the pilot, the first episode – should have got out of the building. They should have been clubbing those guys to death! You’ve got an old guy in the lead who can’t remember his lines; you’ve got Patrick Troughton, who was a good actor, but his companions – how did they get their Equity card? Explain that! They’re unimaginably bad. Once you get to the colour stuff some of it’s watchable, but it’s laughable.
Russell T Davies wrote:Also, it's a lot more emotionally literate. Back in the 1960s, sheer spectacle was enough. You'd have show like Danger Man in which there was plenty of action, but you never had any idea what the characters were feeling. That's not the case with our show.
"Wrong, sir! You lose!"
I agree with what you're saying about Moffatt, but RTD is talking about a different series, and always praised the original DW series in public. When he got one of his awards he remarked about how brilliant Verity and Newman were in the first place for a start, and said he loved ALL Doctor Who, including the McCoys even how the tv movie might be the best ever directed episode.

For all the similarities, and the fact that those two (and Chibnall) are mates, RTD has always seemed to me the most pleasant of them and most respectful of Classic Who despite his desire to improve it on it's return.
There is nothing wrong with that aspiration either. RTD is simply saying the story telling style has changed and I find it hard to disagree with a word of what he says. Moffat is just a crass bore and it is hard to dispute any of the negatives about him.
Darren Lake

LizR wrote:
1/10.
"Wrong, sir! You lose!"
What an absolute berk Moffat is. I’ve never seen these quotes before and I can’t believe a lot more hasn’t been made of them. RTDs I agree with. I think the show is a lot more emotional now and that’s no bad thing. But Moffats... What an absolute pile of crap. How dare he dismiss the whole 60s era like that. Pleb.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Joseph wrote:I wasn't going to watch this. I was visiting my parents for Christmas and they wanted to watch it, though they won't be watching Jodie's series.

Jesus Christ it was f*****g terrible. What exactly happened? What was the point of bringing Hartnell's Doctor into it? What did he do?

Shame on Moff for ruining the first Doctors character too. Even on the way out he has to be a feminist pandering cuck. God I cringed at the sexist Hartnell quips.

Capaldi's regeneration was drawn out, boring and crap. The Doctor becoming a woman seems just as comical as I thought it would.

That's it for me. Doctor Who dies today.

The first Doctor was there simply to be mocked and mischaracterised. I really enjoyed the episode but that part of it grated. We know from his previous comments that Moffat has little time for the black and white material, this was just his way of burying it further. Hurndall was far better in the five doctors and the first doctor far better written.
Darren Lake

Darren Lake wrote:
LizR wrote:
1/10.
"Wrong, sir! You lose!"
What an absolute berk Moffat is. I’ve never seen these quotes before and I can’t believe a lot more hasn’t been made of them. RTDs I agree with. I think the show is a lot more emotional now and that’s no bad thing. But Moffats... What an absolute pile of crap. How dare he dismiss the whole 60s era like that. Pleb.
Hmm, berk... interesting substitution :lol:
ericthehalfabee

Darren Lake wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:
LizR wrote:
1/10.
"Wrong, sir! You lose!"
Hmm, berk... interesting substitution :lol:
Oh is that I filter? I'd laughed that you'd used it! :lol:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

paulhickling wrote:For all the similarities, and the fact that those two (and Chibnall) are mates, RTD has always seemed to me the most pleasant of them and most respectful of Classic Who despite his desire to improve it on it's return.
Fair enough. I was trying to be even handed and not see RTD's era through (ahem) rose-coloured glasses, but at least RTD gave us stories rather than - what can you call them? - a few ideas thrown together like an incomplete cyber-conversion? Two Doctors in search of a story?

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
ericthehalfabee

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
greystone_06 wrote:
Hartnell's Wig wrote:Quite enjoyed that but Bradley was awful and the writing for his character was worse.
I won't have that. Bradley did the best he possibly could with the dull material he was given. That's all an actor can do.
Look at those Tenth Planet reshot scenes and compare them to the surviving audio and clips. His delivery of lines is terrible, speaking in halting sentences like William Shatner. He did a terrible job.

"Have you no emotions. ................................... sir?"

Everybody f*cked off in the pause, Dave, we've all forgotten what you were saying anyway.
I've also been chuckling at this all day :lol:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Martin_Kinsella wrote:https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/9 ... 0794299392

Deleted scene. Pretty interesting
:lol:

I had that Alf Garnett in the back of my TARDIS once...

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information