7%
9%
7%
6%
21%

Total votes: 148
JustGareth

shuzbot wrote:
I loved all this stuff! Bradley, Talalay et al did a terrific job IMO.
"So I guess this is just how things are going to work now: the president once saw a banana with a bruise that looked like a picture in an article he read in a dream, and that is why we're at f*****g war..." John Oliver
ESESEL

LizR wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Who said it was No Umbrella????
I listened to it about ten times trying to make out what she said. The best I could do was something relating to umbrellas.
My best guess was: "To Berlin!" :D
I'm a student - my only source is Wikipedia.

"Knowing's easy; everyone does that ad nauseam. I just sort of hope."
Darren Lake

ericthehalfabee wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:
Darren Lake wrote:
LizR wrote:
oldschool wrote:And so another lecture from Moffat to tell us all how much better, more zany, madcap and cleverer all this Nu stuff is compared to the ' dull, plodding, boring ' decent sci fi stories we used to get.
An utter waste of time from start to finish except the bits from Tenth Planet. And that incidental music, there was one scene I thought I was back in the McCoy years.
1/10.
So far both showrunners have been determined to prove that old Who was rubbish and theirs is much better.
Steven Moffat wrote:…when I look back at Doctor Who now. I laugh at it, fondly. As a television professional, I think how did these guys get a paycheck every week? Dear god, it’s bad! Nothing I’ve seen of the black and white stuff – with the exception of the pilot, the first episode – should have got out of the building. They should have been clubbing those guys to death! You’ve got an old guy in the lead who can’t remember his lines; you’ve got Patrick Troughton, who was a good actor, but his companions – how did they get their Equity card? Explain that! They’re unimaginably bad. Once you get to the colour stuff some of it’s watchable, but it’s laughable.
Russell T Davies wrote:Also, it's a lot more emotionally literate. Back in the 1960s, sheer spectacle was enough. You'd have show like Danger Man in which there was plenty of action, but you never had any idea what the characters were feeling. That's not the case with our show.
"Wrong, sir! You lose!"
What an absolute berk Moffat is. I’ve never seen these quotes before and I can’t believe a lot more hasn’t been made of them. RTDs I agree with. I think the show is a lot more emotional now and that’s no bad thing. But Moffats... What an absolute pile of crap. How dare he dismiss the whole 60s era like that. Pleb.
Hmm, berk... interesting substitution :lol:
Oh is that I filter? I'd laughed that you'd used it! :lol:
:lol: Wish I had now!
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Seems a bit more Tenth Planet stuff was filmed than what ended up on the telly.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeBaker87/statu ... 1072455680

johnshoo

Finally got around to watching it. I'd say it was pretty average for Moffat era Who. I knew there'd be tons of fan service going into it. I was bracing myself for Moffat to tear a bunch of continuity to shreds or something that would make me cringe, but aside from making the First Doctor wear the sonic sunglasses and spout overtly sexist dialogue, it turned out the episode was mostly inconsequential.

In fact, it didn't really feel like a regeneration episode at all even though it did have a regeneration scene at the end. This has to the most anti-climatic regeneration since "Time and the Rani". I put that down to the inane trend in modern Who to have the Doctor start regenerating and then hold it off until it's dramatically convenient instead of writing the episode in a way where it's dramatic because he's regenerating.

I thought David Bradley was fine. Of course his performance was different from William Hartnell's, but I didn't think he was further off than Hurdnall from the Five Doctors, which was the low bar I had set for the episode.

Bill's return was handled as well as could be expected, I guess. I still think it lacks any punch when she only exited the previous episode.

I did groan when Clara appeared, but thankfully she was only on screen for a moment.

Gatiss' acting was actually pretty good, I thought. The scene when they returned him to the battlefield was probably the one scene in the episode that I actually felt some genuine emotion at what was happening.

I still think people are overreacting over a woman taking the role. I think there's a good chance the show won't get any better with the next series, but I'll at least give it a shot. Moffat's run, while it did have some highlights, was not exactly the pinnacle of the franchise IMO. If episodes like "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe", "Time of the Doctor", "Kill the Moon", "In the Forest of the Night", "Sleep No More", "Lie of the Land", etc. didn't make people stop watching, it makes no sense to me why anyone would give up before seeing how good or bad the new showrunner does with it.
johnnybear

Somehow though, the modern day actors, costumers and directors haven't got the original Cybermen's faces right!
JB
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Some bright spark has inserted the cut bits into this clip. I can see what HW means about Bradley's Shatner-esque line delivery. It's like you wanna get hold of a broom stick or something and give him a sharp prod with it for him to get a bloody move on.

Not being rotten but his First Doctor kinda reminded me of one of those Harry Enfield/Paul Whitehouse characters or summat similar.

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Bugger, wont play for me.

Regarding Bradley I thought he did an ok job of playing Billy Hartnell, playing Doctor Who. the problem for him was the hackneyed role he was given.

All of those "different era" jokes fall a bit flat after the second one, but unfortunately Moffat doesn't believe in only making your point once.

Oh well, at least he's moved on now.
greystone_06

Zarius wrote:
robbo13 wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Loved it, cried lots & punched the air at Whittaker’s line. Marvellous.
Sounded more “Last of the summer wine” than Doctor Who but each to their own. She’s not my cup of tea even before she got the job. RIP Doctor Who with her and Chinballs in charge.
Long live Doctor Who more like.

It must get so tiring for you lot to say you're giving up every year...only to turn completely around and continue to hatewatch.
It's a free country, ;) :lol:
#William Hartnell will always be the 1st Doctor. The Doctor is male.
greystone_06

JPS wrote:That was bloody awful. The writing was an all time low for Moff. The main crime is turning the first Doctor into an idiot. "Whats browser history" !!!!!!!!! Eh ?? the constant sexist jibes was just pathetic. Poor Capaldi with that overlong final speech of waffle ruined his regeneration. The TARDIS (YET AGAIN) blowing up everywhere as soon as he regenerates. Would it be safer to do it outside the TARDIS like Pertwee or T Baker did ???? Oh the pain of this shambles goes on sadly but cannoy be arsed to go through them all. Poor Capaldi has been wasted most of his time during his run. Very very sad. At least the reign of Moff has ended thank god. This programme has definately run out of ideas and ready for a big change of direction. Just didn't want it to be a female Dr though :( I wish Jodie all the best but for me its time to leave it for others to enjoy....................
Now that is a fair statement and very comendable.

The likes of Moffat are fair game. He (in my opinion has killed DW), and deserves all the flack he gets. But what I like about the above post is it states an opinion but doesn't descend to playground name calling... Perhaps we could all learn something from it.
greystone_06

LizR wrote:

As for the first Doctor....well, I guess when your opinion of something is this...

"Nothing I’ve seen of the black and white stuff – with the exception of the pilot, the first episode – should have got out of the building."

...then you don't have the ability to see why it was so good, why it got such a massive fanbase, why it's still here today. And all you can do is make fun of it and spoil it for those of us who were there at the time, and those who weren't.
Absolutely spot on, Liz. But when you consider Mofat's lack of basic understanding of the show, along with his appalling lack of creative and writing abilities it's not that hard to understand why his version of Who sucks. Damn, did I spell Moffat's name wrong... like it matters :lol:
Heccypoo

shuzbot wrote:
I didn't watch the Christmas special.

But I watched the comparison clip above..

Even in the patchwork of mixed media featuring Hartnell, he still shines as the First Doctor, he still has the fire in his performance.

Bradley is just playing an insipid old man...
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The Ginger Cat wrote:Some bright spark has inserted the cut bits into this clip. I can see what HW means about Bradley's Shatner-esque line delivery. It's like you wanna get hold of a broom stick or something and give him a sharp prod with it for him to get a bloody move on.

Not being rotten but his First Doctor kinda reminded me of one of those Harry Enfield/Paul Whitehouse characters or summat similar.

Given the sexist nonsense he came out with, totally out of character, I suspect Moffat confused this for the first doctors era.

J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

shuzbot wrote:

It's very good
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
JPS

greystone_06 wrote:
JPS wrote:That was bloody awful. The writing was an all time low for Moff. The main crime is turning the first Doctor into an idiot. "Whats browser history" !!!!!!!!! Eh ?? the constant sexist jibes was just pathetic. Poor Capaldi with that overlong final speech of waffle ruined his regeneration. The TARDIS (YET AGAIN) blowing up everywhere as soon as he regenerates. Would it be safer to do it outside the TARDIS like Pertwee or T Baker did ???? Oh the pain of this shambles goes on sadly but cannoy be arsed to go through them all. Poor Capaldi has been wasted most of his time during his run. Very very sad. At least the reign of Moff has ended thank god. This programme has definately run out of ideas and ready for a big change of direction. Just didn't want it to be a female Dr though :( I wish Jodie all the best but for me its time to leave it for others to enjoy....................
Now that is a fair statement and very comendable.

The likes of Moffat are fair game. He (in my opinion has killed DW), and deserves all the flack he gets. But what I like about the above post is it states an opinion but doesn't descend to playground name calling... Perhaps we could all learn something from it.

Thank you for that :) Much appreciated. Totally agree with you too.
Hartnell's Wig

Darren Lake wrote:[What an absolute berk Moffat is.
I prefer the term solid gold c*nt myself.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
James Ellis

Right then if the new series stinks Its going to be bottom smacking time!!

:P
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

James Ellis wrote:Right then if the new series stinks Its going to be bottom smacking time!!

:P
Are you offering to smack Chris Chibnall's bum? :?
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
johnnybear

Servorobot wrote:Bugger, wont play for me.

Regarding Bradley I thought he did an ok job of playing Billy Hartnell, playing Doctor Who. the problem for him was the hackneyed role he was given.

All of those "different era" jokes fall a bit flat after the second one, but unfortunately Moffat doesn't believe in only making your point once.

Oh well, at least he's moved on now.
Amen to that! But so will a lot of us fans too!
JB

Return to “SERIES 10”

• Information