Sherlock (BBC TV Series).

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Re: Sherlock - Series 4

Postby shuzbot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:32 am

Don't hate it like some. Overly long, though, and rather silly to start with. I only watch out of morbid fascination to see it Gatiss and Moffat ever pull their heads out of their arses - still waiting :(
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby The Krynoid Man » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:59 pm

TheDentistOfDavros wrote:Well it was very disappointing. It was all going well when they were focusing on a good self-contained mystery but then as soon as Sherlock smashed the head and the pearl wasn't there it all went downhill (or off a very, very large cliff).

If I wanted to watch soppy relationship dramas I'd watch bloody Eastenders!

If they decide to focus on the plot and storytelling instead of the "emotional drama" the next episode could be a return to form. It's a shame because that was the first episode of Sherlock that I've really been disappointed by.

I feel the same way
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:33 am

I watched this last night. It's about the third time I've tried to get into this series. I give up. Seems to have gotten worse. What a pretentious, badly acted, dreary load of old cobblers it is. Mind you, I pissed myself laughing at the bit at the end where Martin Freeman wails with grief. It sounded more like he was suffering from a severe bout of constipation. :lol:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Zarius » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:33 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:I watched this last night. It's about the third time I've tried to get into this series. I give up. Seems to have gotten worse. What a pretentious, badly acted, dreary load of old cobblers it is. Mind you, I pissed myself laughing at the bit at the end where Martin Freeman wails with grief. It sounded more like he was suffering from a severe bout of constipation. :lol:

http://johnspainafteradeath.ytmnd.com/

(haven't used that site in ages) :D
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Zarius wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:I watched this last night. It's about the third time I've tried to get into this series. I give up. Seems to have gotten worse. What a pretentious, badly acted, dreary load of old cobblers it is. Mind you, I pissed myself laughing at the bit at the end where Martin Freeman wails with grief. It sounded more like he was suffering from a severe bout of constipation. :lol:

http://johnspainafteradeath.ytmnd.com/

(haven't used that site in ages) :D

Kinda brings tears to your eyes hearing it, dunnit. :lol: :lol:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Krynoid Man » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:55 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:It sounded more like he was suffering from a severe bout of constipation. :lol:

Oh good, I thought it was just me who thought that.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby LizR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:07 am

I have obviously gone over to the dark side, but ... well, I actually thought that was quite good. It was the first episode of "Sherlock" I've seen that was reasonably enjoyable, i.e. it didn't fall apart on plot, acting, plausibility, being too up itself, or just generally being complete crap. Plus the story did (eventually) all come together and make sense, or as much sense as can be expected from "Sherlock". (Although John wailing with grief was a bit weird, but I guess that might be what people sound like, I hope not to hear too many people in that situation.)

I'm tempted to say that it's finally found its feet, but I'll wait for the next few episode(s) before I commit.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Zarius » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Second episode was really enjoyable. Toby played a ghoulish pastiche of Saville well.

That last twist though...I was expecting Andrew Scott in drag I really was :lol:
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Nimon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Zarius wrote:Second episode was really enjoyable. Toby played a ghoulish pastiche of Saville well.

That last twist though...I was expecting Andrew Scott in drag I really was :lol:

I must admit that i was waiting for a mask to be removed LOL
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Seems a certain Harold Chorley was mentioned in that episode shown the other night. Did any of you "Sherlock" fans catch it, then?
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby LizR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:11 am

As kk will tell you, don't forget those spoiler tags, please! ;)

(Not having seen it yet, I have yet to find out whether any of the above needs them...)
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Zarius » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Mercy me, this episode is being savaged by tumblr because they did'nt make Johnlock happen (but Sherlollly pretty much got a new lease of life)

I've seen the Saw comparisons, but I've never seen the movie so maybe one of you lads can explain which bits were remiscent of them.

All I know was this ep threw so many twists at the screen, that virtually they all left me feeling numb and unable to care, once they exhausted themselves, they picked a pretty nonsensical one for the closing.

That end shot=Batman Forever :lol:
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby shuzbot » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby LizR » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 am

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/16/sherlock-how-the-tv-phenomenon-became-an-annoying-parody-of-itself

My take...

1st episode was OK (surprise!)
2nd was interesting, but ended up as more Moffaty Holmesy-Wolmesy nonsense.
3rd was quite gripping but ended on the wrong note -
Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

phpBB © 2011

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby shuzbot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 pm

LizR wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/16/sherlock-how-the-tv-phenomenon-became-an-annoying-parody-of-itself

My take...

1st episode was OK (surprise!)
2nd was interesting, but ended up as more Moffaty Holmesy-Wolmesy nonsense.
3rd was quite gripping but ended on the wrong note -
phpBB © 2011

phpBB © 2011

What is Moffat's obsession with psychopaths? Considering he doesn't seem to know what a psychopath is that just makes it all the weirder.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 pm

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby LizR » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:23 am

shuzbot wrote:http://thequietus.com/articles/21578-bbc-the-final-problem-sherlock-review

Great review, although I was never very taken with Sherlock so I'd say it's only suffered a slight decline in quality, from not very good to even less good.

If I had the chance I'd ask Moffat and Gattis, "How about producing a few adventures in which a brainy sleuth solves crimes?" But I suppose that's like expecting Doctor Who to be "exciting adventures in time and space". Still, at least there's Elementary (and Silent Witness, Wallander, Lewis, Grantchester, Miss Fisher, Agatha Raisin, Vera, etc, etc... yes, it can be done.)

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby LizR » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 am

phpBB © 2011

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Re: Sherlock (BBC TV Series).

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 pm

The Krynoid Man wrote:
The Ginger Cat wrote:It sounded more like he was suffering from a severe bout of constipation. :lol:

Oh good, I thought it was just me who thought that.

Speaking of constipation...

https://twitter.com/mrnickharvey/status ... 1668729856

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Previous

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers