The Sweeney (1974)

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

The Sweeney (1974)

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 pm

The Sweeny on BluRay

Network DVD have brought out Series 1 of The Sweeney (from 1974) (and also the Armchair Theatre pilot for it, 'Regan') on BluRay.

Keen to support this practice of bringing out old telly on BluRay, i've been working my way through them.
Beautiful picture quality, effective 5.1 sound.

The guest casts are amazing too - in 4 episodes so far I've seen Brian Blessed, Alan Lake, Del Henny, Tony Caunter, Sabalom Glitz, DI Burnside, Cardinal Borusa #1, Juliet Bravo #1, and more besides....
'teleportNOW!'

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: The Sweeny on BluRay

Postby ianj » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Loads of Who actors guesting,including troughton etc.fantastic good police drama,I think the best made,and,of coursemits Euston films,headed by Verity Lambert!
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:31 pm

It's deeply disappointing that Network still haven't released any more Sweeny on BluRay (series 2, 3 and 4, and the two movies). I do hope they pick them up again ... I got the impression that paused the project when they finally got their hands on The Professionals, which was fair enough, but that's all done and dusted now... :(
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Network have finally brought out the two Sweeney movies on BluRay (although not series 2, 3 and 4 of the TV episodes, though, sadly).

I watched "Sweeney!" for the first time in my life last night.
Lovely picture quality, a treat to see lots of London locations in 1977 glory.
But it seems to do that thing that so many spin-off films from TV shows did in the 1970s, which is 'not really recapture the tone or spirit of the original show properly' - Thaw & Waterman's performances just don't seem quite right to me, and the whole tone has stuff you'd never get away with on ITV (tits and profanity, mostly, and people mowed with machine guns in slo-mo)
Also it all tries to go a bit 'Edge of Darkness' but doesn't quite manage it, plotwise.

Diane Keen (who I last saw as Maid Marion in the BBC's superb Legend of Robin Hood) is beautiful. I didn't really buy Saul-bloody-Enderby out-of-SmileysPeople's American accent though. Ian 'Jim Prideux' Bannen's performance is rather undermined by the fact that he's playing someone who's meant to be a pissed old buffer - I mean, he plays it perfectly, and I keep wanting him to be sharp!
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:58 pm

'Sweeney 2' is quite a odd beast too!
It seems more similar in tone to the TV series to me,
but instead of Morris Perry and Garfield Morgan as Regan's bosses, it rather incongruously has Denholm Elliot and Sir Humphrey Appleby instead!
Nigel Hawthorne actually does a very nice job of playing a similar character to Morgan (although I don't think they're supposed to be same person), but I think the switch to Denholm Elliot rather spoils the dramatic premise, as a major part of the plot is that the head of Flying Squad has been busted for corruption. This would be shocking if it were Morris Perry, but because it's happening to this new actor who's been wheeled in out of nowhere, it doesn't really have the same impact.
'teleportNOW!'

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Whilst the overall tone of Sweeney 2 I think is good,
I found the *plot* (written by Troy Kennedy Martin) to be rather baffling and disjointed, tbh.
It features this whole inexplicable dogleg thing in the middle about a bomb in a hotel room which doesn't seem to be anything to do with the rest of the film at all,
and the motivations of the baddies and how exactly Regan susses them remained rather obscure to me.

Some notable guest cast - following on from Maid Marian from the BBC's Legend of Robin Hood, this time we get Richard the Lionheart from the same. We also get that spooky blonde lady from the Hammer House of Horror where someone drills a hole in their head.

The music is a bit wick too.
All in all I can see why they didn't make another one!
'teleportNOW!'

Re: The Sweeney (1974)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Jack Regan is a hard edged detective in the Flying Squad of London's Metropolitan Police. He pursues villains by methods which are underhanded and often illegal, frequently violent, and more often than not, successful.

The Sweeney - opening theme - intro

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 05, 2019 2:27 pm

ianj wrote:Loads of Who actors guesting,including troughton etc.fantastic good police drama,I think the best made,and,of coursemits Euston films,headed by Verity Lambert!

Speaking of guests, I still haven't got over Morecambe and Wise turning up! :?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The Sweeney (1974)

Postby iank » Sun May 05, 2019 10:50 pm

I bought the remastered DVD set of this last year. Have just started season 2. It took me a little while to really start getting into it, but I'm really enjoying it now. :)
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers