Broadchurch

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Broadchurch

Postby LizR » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 pm

"Created and written by Chris Chibnall"

If I'd seen that before the closing credits I might have been less inclined to watch, but actually it seemed rather good (although obviously it isn't over til the fat lady sings).

Chibbers appears to be making good. Who'd a thought it?
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Broadchurch

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 pm

It was pretty good but I guessed who the killer was by episode 6, from what I understand so did most of the audience
Plus there were a lot of plot threads that were pointless went nowhere
Still pretty good
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby chap with wings » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm

I missed this completely and it's gone from ITV payer, so I will wait for the DVD.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

Postby LizR » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 am

Episode SIX?!?

So much for let's watch this, it's only 45 minutes. Hope CC can keep it up...
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Postby LizR » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 am

So, it seems quite good so far. Has Chibnall had a brain transplant* or something?

*Torchwood joke, if you don't get it...lucky you.

LizR

Postby Kamelion » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Olivia Colman is ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!!! I urge all here to watch the film 'Tyrannosaur' if they haven't already!!! Powerful stuff.
"..and who knows when it will end..."
Kamelion

Postby paulhickling » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Broadchurch. "The last ever episode of the last ever series". Wife enjoyed it. Haven't really been bothered with it since the first series. Spent half the time trying to stay awake. Hope Chibbers doesn't have this effect with his version of Who! But I do hope coming from a three year crime thriller gives him a more down to earth approach to Who. Time of course will tell...
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TheDentistOfDavros » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 pm

paulhickling wrote:Broadchurch. "The last ever episode of the last ever series". Wife enjoyed it. Haven't really been bothered with it since the first series. Spent half the time trying to stay awake. Hope Chibbers doesn't have this effect with his version of Who! But I do hope coming from a three year crime thriller gives him a more down to earth approach to Who. Time of course will tell...

Yeah I watched it too, thought it was quite good and certainly makes me look forward to what he's going to bring to Doctor Who, if I had one criticism though I didn't understand why we kept having to go back to the story of the Latimers? Their story had no connection to the actual crime investigation (apart from Beth's connection to Trish) and played no part in the plot. Every time the episodes switched to their story it felt as though I was watching a bloody soap opera!
TheDentistOfDavros

Postby shuzbot » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 pm

I watched all three series of this when Jodie Whitaker got cast as The Doctor. Tennant's performance was too laid back for me initially but Olivia Coleman was by far the best thing in it. Really enjoyed the first series, the second seemed to be stretching it and the third was alright but all the characters I was interested in had moved on. I thought Whitaker was very good but I don't think her performance will tell us much about how she will portray The Doctor but she is a great actress.

TheDentistOfDavros wrote:Yeah I watched it too, thought it was quite good and certainly makes me look forward to what he's going to bring to Doctor Who, if I had one criticism though I didn't understand why we kept having to go back to the story of the Latimers? Their story had no connection to the actual crime investigation (apart from Beth's connection to Trish) and played no part in the plot. Every time the episodes switched to their story it felt as though I was watching a bloody soap opera!

Totally agree. Jodie's character was particularly pointless and the newspaper journalist subplot seemed a bit weak. Especially with the younger reporter gone.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:24 pm

The murder of a young boy in a small coastal town brings a media frenzy, which threatens to tear the community apart.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:25 pm

Jodie......

.... and Rory...... :?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Never actually saw this - and never knew who Jodie was until that announcement.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby xerophyte » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Season 1 was good. Tenant and Coleman played their parts very well. No i didnt work out who did it.

Season 2 less good but still entertaining.

I didn't bother with season 3 on account of it having that obnoxious woman from Coronation Street in it.

I felt Whittaker was a bit of a non-entity in it. Nothing stand out about her and nowt more than a background supporting actress.
xerophyte

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Wish ITV would lure Chinballs and his muse away for another series...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby paulhickling » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Watching that clip I see her doing ok, but no more than any reasonable soap actor. Andrew Buchan on the other hand would be a perfectly good Doctor. Thought he was great in Garrow's Law. But again, he'd have to play dotty too wouldn't he? Whether it worked or not.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers