Dick Barton Special Agent (Merged Threads)

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Dick Barton Special Agent (Merged Threads)

Postby steamhead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Interesting news item on Radio 4 last week...

Many "lost" episodes of Dick Barton were discovered recently. Apparently not as lost as you might think either. They were languishing in the archives of some audio museum in Australia, who weren't aware that the copies they had were actually considered missing.

Makes you wonder whether there are any other museums out there holding material that they are oblivious to it's rarity.

One other interesting part of the article was that the orginal episodes had been destroyed straight after transmission, and when South Africa and Australia approached the BBC to transmit the episodes themselves they effectively restaged the episode with the original scripts, but not all the same actors. So a very early example of reconstructing missing episodes.
steamhead

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Dick Barton Special Agent

Postby The Nimon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 pm

steamhead wrote:Interesting news item on Radio 4 last week...

Many "lost" episodes of Dick Barton were discovered recently. Apparently not as lost as you might think either. They were languishing in the archives of some audio museum in Australia, who weren't aware that the copies they had were actually considered missing.

Makes you wonder whether there are any other museums out there holding material that they are oblivious to it's rarity.

One other interesting part of the article was that the orginal episodes had been destroyed straight after transmission, and when South Africa and Australia approached the BBC to transmit the episodes themselves they effectively restaged the episode with the original scripts, but not all the same actors. So a very early example of reconstructing missing episodes.

These have started to come out on CD now. Tempted to pick a few up as i Love Dick Barton
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Dick Barton

Postby The Nimon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:23 pm

ITV in the 70s made a TV show of the old BBC radio series. I found out it was on dvd last week so have ordered it. Anyone here seen it?

The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Re: Dick Barton Special Agent

Postby shuzbot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 am

I found a link with a bit more detail about the missing radio episodes

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/229321 ... on-returns
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Re: Dick Barton Special Agent (Merged Threads)

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 am

Nice piece revisiting the show.

http://wearecult.rocks/dick-barton-spec ... -revisited

I did watch some of it as a kid, though can't remember much about it now, except it used to go at fairly fast pace, oh that and the theme tune. Recall that the most.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm

I see Talking Pictures TV have begun showing that 1979 ITV series of Dick Barton: Special Agent. Caught a bit of it tonight. Hadn't seen it in donkeys years. Looked a bit... cheap. Didn't realise Fiona Fullerton was in it.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby paulhickling » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 pm

I seem to remember watching one of the three Hammer films a few years ago. Hammer made a few adaptations of radio serials before they got their teeth into tv series..
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 05, 2019 3:30 pm

This is all I ever owned regarding Dick Barton, all part of a vinyl album I treasured back in the day. I also noticed that the theme was re-used during Sylvester on a motorbike scenes of DELTA.....

Devil's Galop (Signature Music for the Dick Barton Programm) (2011 Remaster)

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers