The Avengers (1961): UK Series

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

The Avengers (1961): UK Series

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:47 am

Classic 60's TV series "The Avengers" look's set to be repeated on the Freeview Channel "True Entertainment" starting from next Monday at 8pm.

http://www.locatetv.com/uk/listings/trueent#05-Jan-2015

I've only ever seen a handful of episodes yonks ago, so I'm hoping to catch up with some of these to see what I make of it.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: "The Avengers" Repeated

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:01 am

Get in!
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby bobmcpherson » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:32 pm

One of my top five favorite TV shows.....AND though the first season with Ian Hendry had been previously wiped clean....they eventually found two eps so huzzah.

Just be aware the pre Emma Peel seasons are VERY much like Hartnell's WHO ....on video tape....practically live....there are flubs........VERY little sci fic/fantasy/horror content. Mostly crime and espionage. Some of it actually referencing current events of the era.

Doing this from memory but I believe Kathy Gale was in Kenya during the Mau Mau which is why Steed originally seeks her out as she is an expert in things African. Her first episode is actually a horror story involving a Warlock. There is another ep about the neglect of Britain's war veterans. Lots of stuff involving Russia, the Middle East...............INTERCRIME which returned in a Tara King ep is introduced........

So keep an open mind and you should have a great time.

Philip Madoc appeared at least once in every season.
bobmcpherson

Postby The Krynoid Man » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:02 pm

I've only watched the Emma Peel episodes since they are the only ones that were shown on BBC4, and I have yet to pick up the DVD's. I suspect this might be the same, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was only the colour episodes that were shown.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
The Krynoid Man

Postby bobmcpherson » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:20 am

While I love the program from Ian Hendry straight through to THE NEW AVENGERS, I think it is accurate that season 4....the Black and White Emma Peel season is the "Hinchcliffe" period of the program.

THE AVENGERS was a WILD show going from the adventures of a police surgeon---if I remember correctly who is OCCAISIONALLY dragged into things by a mysterious fellow named Steed......to a crime/espionage show featuring Steed with a rotating group of partners......none of whom really like him.......to a crime/espionage/horror/sci fic show featuring Steed and Kathy Gale to the anything goes but mostly sci fic/horror Peel seasons where it finally settled into a formula. THE NEW AVENGERS was more Cold warish but still the same.

Twas a pity they never filmed the novel that reunited Steed with all of his partners TOO MANY TARGETS as a sort of finale.

It will never be successfully revived..........which is how it should be......it was lightning in a bottle.
bobmcpherson

Postby nosfer2 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:33 am

You may be interested to know that Amazon have featured The Avengers complete box set as a lightning deal recently. Worth keeping an eye out for in case it comes round again.
nosfer2

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:26 pm

nosfer2 wrote:You may be interested to know that Amazon have featured The Avengers complete box set as a lightning deal recently. Worth keeping an eye out for in case it comes round again.

Thanks for the head's up. I'll certainly keep 'em peeled. :)
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 am

Well I caught "The Avengers" on "True Entertainment" last night. They showed a B&W episode that featured Steed and Mrs. Peel -"The Town Of No Return", and jolly good it was too.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Patrick Macnee R.I.P.

Postby paulhickling » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:42 pm

93 may be a great age but still sad nonetheless. An actor who filled his great character John Steed FULL to the brim with charm. Love The Avengers. Love John Steed.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Patrick Macnee R.I.P.

Postby bobmcpherson » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Before he became big, he would pop up in British 50s war films...usually as a naval officer for a line of two. Did a TWILIGHT ZONE ep too.......as a British naval officer. Was a good Dr Watson. Nice to see him in A VIEW TO A KILL and was a welcome recurring presence in BATTLESTAR GALACTICA effectively playing four parts.
bobmcpherson

Postby LizR » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:27 am

Sigh. Another great one gone.

"Mrs. Peel, we're needed!"
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby markhuk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:49 pm

A great shame but at least he had a good innings and lived life to the full
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

The Avengers: Sixties UK Series

Postby shuzbot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:11 am

http://www.hiddentigerbooks.co.uk/aveng ... rworld.htm

Good book, not sure if this is the right place, feel free to move :)
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Re: "The Avengers": Sixties UK Series

Postby LizR » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:43 am

"Sixties UK Series" ... you mean there's some other Avengers? :shock:

Someone's obviously been keeping it under their hat!
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Servorobot » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:07 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Well I caught "The Avengers" on "True Entertainment" last night. They showed a B&W episode that featured Steed and Mrs. Peel -"The Town Of No Return", and jolly good it was too.

All of the Steed/Emma Peel are terrific, particularly the b&w ones.

I'm currently going through the season 6 episodes with Tara King and it's a lot better than I was led to believe.

The last episode I watched was Legacy of Death with Richard Hurndall long before he replaced Billy Hartnell in the Five Doctors.

Ironically one of the few Tara King episodes I'd seen prior to this marathon of mine was on True Entertainment back in late March.

I wish someone over here would show some different Avengers episodes. All we ever get is the colour Emma Peel ones.
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby image45 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:58 pm

nosfer2 wrote:You may be interested to know that Amazon have featured The Avengers complete box set as a lightning deal recently. Worth keeping an eye out for in case it comes round again.

They are lightning deals, that's the trouble :lol: 8-)
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby Celestial Toymaker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:08 am

LizR wrote:"Sixties UK Series" ... you mean there's some other Avengers? :shock:

Seriously? There's The Avengers 1998 movie, New Avengers from 1970's, Avengers stage show and the movies based upon the Marvel comics Avengers superheroes.
Celestial Toymaker

Postby LizR » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:07 am

Celestial Toymaker wrote:
LizR wrote:"Sixties UK Series" ... you mean there's some other Avengers? :shock:

Seriously? There's The Avengers 1998 movie, New Avengers from 1970's, Avengers stage show and the movies based upon the Marvel comics Avengers superheroes.

No, not seriously. Obviously I know about the New Avengers, I will even hum the theme tune on request. And the others, too. But let's not mix the sublime with the ridiculous.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Miss Cathcart » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:38 pm

The Avengers is one of the greatest TV programmes ever. Period. it still seems original and easily stands the test of time. My personal favourites are the Tara King stories, probably mainly because they're the ones I remember watching most as a kid, but the Emma Peel ones are also very good. The Honor Blackman stories are the weakest, and with lower production values, but are still worth watching, and Steed, of course, who owns the screen as soon as he comes on, never fails.
Miss Cathcart

Postby The Krynoid Man » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:38 pm

I've been watching the Honor Blackman episodes and I have to disagree with your assessment that they are the weakest. In my opinion they are far better than the colour episodes, although the black and white Emma Peel episodes still remain the series high point.
The Krynoid Man

Next

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers