The Avengers (1961): UK Series

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Re: "The Avengers": Sixties UK Series

Postby bobmcpherson » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Child of Auron wrote:I am fast approaching the end of my re-watch of The Avengers, this is only my second viewing of the non-Peel colour episodes and I found myself appreciating the Cathy Gale seasons far more than before. Honor Blackman was a fantastic foil for McNee, with an icy wit and self-assuredness which I wasn't aware of on initial viewing.

I certainly felt a pang of loss when she decided to go "pussy footing in the Bahamas" at the end of season three.

Exactly. If you do not go in expecting/demanding Emma Peel and Cybernauts then the program is VERY entertaining. Several of the Venus Smiths are solid and one Dr. King DEAD ON COURSE is very good.

And Honor Blackman is really REALLY superb.
bobmcpherson

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby bobmcpherson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 pm

An ep to pay attention to THE WHITE DWARF. Sci Fic elements. Guest stars Peter Copley and Philip Latham. Script by Malcolm Hulke.

While viewing it, I was bemused how it ....unknowingly of course...... took the entire "Diversity" argument which is really a fraud anyway...a beard for racists to be racists while denying they are being racists.........and casually proved its falsity.

The ep features two TWO female lead characters who are scientists and a major support character(another scientist) is non-white (Indian) and it somehow did this without going on and on about it and indulging in the usual hate.

And this was made in 1963......same year DOCTOR WHO started.

How can this be?

I am of a mind that the reason the Cadres want to rewrite history is because the existence of history proves their lies.

Pretty good ep. LOTS of science. The White Dwarf refers to star matter plunging towards earth and should not be regarded as racist or an attack on the vertically challenged.
bobmcpherson

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 pm

bobmcpherson wrote:An ep to pay attention to THE WHITE DWARF. Sci Fic elements. Guest stars Peter Copley and Philip Latham. Script by Malcolm Hulke.

While viewing it, I was bemused how it ....unknowingly of course...... took the entire "Diversity" argument which is really a fraud anyway...a beard for racists to be racists while denying they are being racists.........and casually proved its falsity.

The ep features two TWO female lead characters who are scientists and a major support character(another scientist) is non-white (Indian) and it somehow did this without going on and on about it and indulging in the usual hate.

And this was made in 1963......same year DOCTOR WHO started.

How can this be?

I am of a mind that the reason the Cadres want to rewrite history is because the existence of history proves their lies.

Pretty good ep. LOTS of science. The White Dwarf refers to star matter plunging towards earth and should not be regarded as racist or an attack on the vertically challenged.

We're getting a bit tired of you patrolling the forum and bringing up politics in every single post. I've just declined your post in the ratings thread. There's no need for it and it's off topic. Kindly reign it in.
ericthehalfabee

Postby bobmcpherson » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:10 pm

NOT sci fic AT ALL nor really much like the Rigg era BUT....DEATH OF A BATMAN is a VERY good story superbly acted guest starring Andre Morrel and Philip Madoc (again!!!) Also Cathy Gale wears the exact same leather catsuit that Rigg wears in her first season. She also gets into a fight with a butler and just pounds POUNDS him into the ground. No clever acrobats she.
bobmcpherson

Postby bobmcpherson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:24 pm

NOVEMBER FIVE.....another palpable step towards becoming the show everyone recognizes today. The ep concerns a plot to detonate a nuclear warhead in the heart of London. The villain is being paid by THEY which is a rare for the Blackman eps as a reference to the Cold War.......as for whatever reason most of her eps concern British industry and finance with the odd straight crime story. Very little in the way of red herrings........though unless THEY is Sweden in 1963 we can pretty much guess who THEY are.

Also this ep is off the charts in appealing to leather fanciers with Blackman showcasing outfits even Diana Rigg never wore.

Americans would not generally get the Guy Fawkes reference but I did.

Anyway an ep of interest........
bobmcpherson

Postby StarQuake » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 pm

The Cathy Gale episodes are very underrated. The writing was sharper and more grounded than the Mrs Peel episodes, which became very much style-over-substance once they got into colour. I also like the more shifty and manipulative personality for Steed, with him sometimes conning Mrs Gale into helping him, despite the danger in put her in. Steed's character loses that edge once the show reaches the Mrs Peel era.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bobmcpherson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 am

StarQuake wrote:The Cathy Gale episodes are very underrated. The writing was sharper and more grounded than the Mrs Peel episodes, which became very much style-over-substance once they got into colour. I also like the more shifty and manipulative personality for Steed, with him sometimes conning Mrs Gale into helping him, despite the danger in put her in. Steed's character loses that edge once the show reaches the Mrs Peel era.

Absolutely agree. I enjoy the heck out of them. The plots are different and interesting. The acting...especially by Blackman---whom I think does her best work as Gale---is top notch. There are a LOT a great guest stars....Philip Madoc must have been on stand by. The sexual innuendo is off the charts. Amazing what they were getting away with.. And yes Steed is a tad more ruthless than he would be later on.

I only post the way I do because ala Hartnell...there are those who cannot or will not make the jump from Peel to prePeel.

Missing out.

And at the risk of being yelled at. Why is Whittaker such a supposed big feminist deal when Cathy Gale.....and Venus Smith had already been there and done that....AND BETTER in 1963???
bobmcpherson

Postby iank » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:09 am

Narcissism.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby LizR » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 am

bobmcpherson wrote:And at the risk of being yelled at. Why is Whittaker such a supposed big feminist deal when Cathy Gale.....and Venus Smith had already been there and done that....AND BETTER in 1963???

Not to mention Barbara Wright.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Servorobot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 am

bobmcpherson wrote:
StarQuake wrote:The Cathy Gale episodes are very underrated. The writing was sharper and more grounded than the Mrs Peel episodes, which became very much style-over-substance once they got into colour. I also like the more shifty and manipulative personality for Steed, with him sometimes conning Mrs Gale into helping him, despite the danger in put her in. Steed's character loses that edge once the show reaches the Mrs Peel era.

Absolutely agree. I enjoy the heck out of them. The plots are different and interesting. The acting...especially by Blackman---whom I think does her best work as Gale---is top notch. There are a LOT a great guest stars....Philip Madoc must have been on stand by. The sexual innuendo is off the charts. Amazing what they were getting away with.. And yes Steed is a tad more ruthless than he would be later on.

I only post the way I do because ala Hartnell...there are those who cannot or will not make the jump from Peel to prePeel.

Missing out.

And at the risk of being yelled at. Why is Whittaker such a supposed big feminist deal when Cathy Gale.....and Venus Smith had already been there and done that....AND BETTER in 1963???

[]

Yes the Cathy Gale episodes are criminally underrated and StarQuake is spot on with the observation of Steed being a little bit shifty. There’s a bit of an edge to his character in these early series before he’s personality changes to the exaggerated Englishman the Americans of the time no doubt loved.

The second series is very uneven, by far the best episodes are the Cathy Gale ones. It isn’t hard to see why the other two got dropped for season 3.

Martin King seemed to exist to use up the leftover David Keel episodes, but he disappeared quicker than Chorley down a tube tunnel.

The Venus Smith episodes dont do a lot for me I must confess.

I’m probably biased as the first non Emma Peel The Avengers I ever saw was Mr Teddy Bear and it’s still one of my favourite Cathy Gale episodes.

I’ve often wondered if Honor Blackman would have continued playing the character into the age of colour if she hadn’t got that part in Goldfinger.

Anyway she didn’t and looked what happened.
Last edited by ericthehalfabee on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic observations removed
Stone the bleedin’ crows, Something Who goes Down Under!
Fair dinkum it should be essential listening for all you flamin’ kids.
https://somethingwho.podbean.com/e/episode-8-down-under/
Follow Something Who on Twitter https://twitter.com/something_who
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:16 am

A bit of trivia that I can add to my point about Cathy Gale being by far the most popular sidekick for Steed from Series 2.

When Channel O in Australia repeated series 2 in the early 70’s (the series had already been shown twice on the ABC) they only broadcast episodes involving Cathy Gale.

For the episode Warlock it appears to have been the first time it was ever shown on Australian TV (it appears never to have been shown by the ABC, at least in Sydney or Melbourne).

The Venus Smith episode Man in the Mirror appears to never have been shown on Australian TV.

I think I’ve posted this link before, but here is an interesting website regarding Australian broadcasts of The Avengers (where I got some of this information from).

Note the huge time difference between the Melbourne and Sydney broadcasts of Series 2 (and series 3). Only one print in circulation for those series!
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby Servorobot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:18 am

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 am

bobmcpherson wrote:

Because neither Blackman nor Stevens were playing Steed.

If you want to create a thread about female leads (or whatever) prior to JW, then please go ahead.
ericthehalfabee

Postby Servorobot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 am

Servorobot wrote:Sorry, forgot the link again.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... /series-2/

[]

Sorry, this post probably doesn’t make any sense.

I had another post following on from the one that was edited in which I mentioned that when series two of The Avengers was repeated by another channel here in Australia they only broadcast the Cathy Gale ones.

The link in the previous post is where I got some information about Australian broadcast, including the huge time difference between them being broadcast in Melbourne and Sydney for series 2&3. It’s pretty obvious that, unlike some series of Doctor Who, there could only have been one print in circulation.

Apologies. Not sure what happened there.
Last edited by ericthehalfabee on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed per request
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby ericthehalfabee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:01 am

Weird they omitted the King/Williams episodes? I might ask Alan Hayes what that was about!

I for one particularly enjoy Venus Williams. They create a nice mix with the Gale ones.

The King episodes are great stories, but the switch with Keel is so brazen it’s hard to forget that while watching. Plus one is also constantly reminded of Harold Chorley who is surely one of the most irritating characters eve to grace DW... (closely followed by Evans in the same story!)
ericthehalfabee

Postby bobmcpherson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 pm

RE Dr King. DEAD ON COURSE is very good and that character's best story. Though why they did not just recast the actor AS Dr Keel rather than King I do not understand.

Re VENUS SMITH. THE DECAPOD, MAN IN THE MIRROR and the one about the Communist spy ring in a British university are VERY good.

It is weird that King and Smith deal with red herrings while Gale got the warlocks, gangsters and wicked businessmen.

Wonder why???
bobmcpherson

Postby Servorobot » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:25 am

I’m not sure why Warlock and Man in the Mirror weren’t shown during season 2’s original run in the ABC.

Warlock’s Black Magic shenanigans may have spooked the Censorship Board and maybe Man in the Mirror’s murder count may have put them off.

I’m pretty sure Warlock did get a run when Channel O repeated this series in the early 70’s, but I’d have to check.

Man in the Mirror may never have been shown.

I only mention this as were these episodes other examples of refused classification by the Censorship Board and were therefore never purchased by the ABC and in the same situation as DMP?

If so Warlock was still here in the early 70’s if Channel O did broadcast it.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Postby bobmcpherson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:44 am

THE UNDERTAKERS. VERY much a recognizably Avengerish (Is that a word?) type story with this one. No sci fic or horror but one of those eccentric criminal gangs that Steed used to run into all the time once Rigg showed up. I do not really know any of the guest cast....though I am certain someone will educate me.

VERY odd for the series is the attention given to guns and gun play in this one. Everyone is blasting away at each other..........yet no one actually dies from getting shot. I imagine this was some type of censorship thing going on as everyone surviving getting plugged here does not say much about the efficiency of the British arms industry.

The story LOATHES the British tax system of the time. Really loathes it.

Macnee is VERY good in this one and Blackman strikes the most remarkable poses.

There is a very elaborate gunfight shot in some garden filled with giant naked statues that is visually ambitious.

Oh and Malcolm Hulke wrote the script.
bobmcpherson

Postby bobmcpherson » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 am

THE MAN WITH TWO SHADOWS...absolutely superb story involving a communist attempt to infiltrate the British govt using doubles. Atypically brutal and nasty. Geoffrey Palmer and Paul Whitsun-Jones have support parts. VERY stylish fight scene with Cathy Gale and a KGB assassin. Major shift in the series in that Gale is no longer a talented amateur but is now officially working for British intelligence. Also confirmed. Steed and Gale HAVE had....ah....relations in the Biblical sense.

:D
bobmcpherson

Postby bobmcpherson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 am

DRESSED TO KILL.......a very Cold Warish story involving a possible nuclear attack on Britain. Sort of remade as THE SUPERLATIVE SEVEN with Diana Rigg but different enough to be its own story. Guest stars Leonard Rossiter and as a Dolly Bird someone named Anneke Wills.........
bobmcpherson

PreviousNext

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers