Alias (2001)

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Alias (2001)

Postby bobmcpherson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 am

So....in an attempt to understand Jennifer Garner's career.....her movies have NOT impressed me....I started watching ALIAS...her spy show with Victor Garber who is also on THE FLASH.

i am about 5 eps in and..........I still do not get it. The show and Garner are not bad ala Whittaker/Chibnall but I do not find it or her especially good either. Rather uninvolving. A lot of running around doing stuff but no real feel that anything is at stake. It is trying to play THE MAN FROM UNCLE game of mythical secret organizations operating in a world utterly divorced from reality but without that show's clever writing and style.

I am not sure if the show is intended to be realistic and serious or a Spy Fic fantasy. Garner can beat guys three times her size with little effort so is this meant to be like THE AVENGERS? There is some heavy emotional baggage and betrayal so is this supposed by be like LA FEMME NIKITA?

i still have no idea what is going on and what the endgame is.

They keep stuffing Garner in leather outfits yet she....an d the series....have no sex appeal.

I will stick it out a bit longer to see if it sinks in but...............

Another show I am watching simoultaneously....COVERT AFFAIRS with Piper Perabo is INFINITELY superior with the later a far better actress. See thread.
bobmcpherson

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: ALIAS

Postby bobmcpherson » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:56 pm

I am up to ep 6 and the show is just not doing it for me. Garner has no sex appeal no matter what outfits they stuff her in. And I am afraid that her acting skills are weak I see the behind the scenes crew are JJ Abrams and Alex Kurtzman who are to STAR TREK and STAR WARS what Moffatt and Chibnall are to WHO.....but in a very different way here.

This is a spy show about absolutely nothing. A typical scene goes Meeting at SD6 (mythical organization)"Oh no!! FT5(mythical organization) has the plans to the WHUZZIT MARK 5 which will allow them to down load illegal thingamagics. We must steal them before Dept K (mythical organization) gets to them first"

And then we see a big sign that says ROMANIA or BANGKOK and Garmer runs around for a bit while we hear modern music play in the background. Stuff happens. None of it important at all.

Meanwhile Garner's black best girlfriend....because in the 90s ALL heroines had black best girlfriends---thinks her boyfriend (Incorrectly) is cheating on her with.........A WHITE WOMAN. And she ain't gonna stand for it because of Dr. King or Betty Friedan or whatever. She leaves him and then discovers that he wants to be a singer and THE WHITE WOMAN is his pianist. She then denigrates his talent to all her friends because modern STRONG FEMALES never support their men because this ain't the 50s no mo. Then it turns out that HE CAN SING AND VERY WELL and she immediately shouts out "That is MY boyfriend!!!" And this is supposed to be a character the viewer likes??

Awful. AWFUL writing.

One or two eps and if it does not get interesting, I am walking.
bobmcpherson

Postby bobmcpherson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:49 am

Twist I did not see coming. Around ep 8 this goes from a faux Spy show to Lara Croft: Tomb Raider with what looks like either a sci fic or horror plot brewing up.........
bobmcpherson

Postby bobmcpherson » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm

What an odd show. We now have a full Sci Fic/horror/De Vinci Code plot going with some faux THRUSH organization. They are positioning the Jennifer Garner character to be a SUPER mary sue....being the manifestation of an ancient prophecy. And Roger Moore has shown up as a recurring character.

Still do not get Garner's career. It is like watching Marcia Brady play spy.
bobmcpherson

Postby LizR » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Sounds as though the title is weirdly appropriate for the programme itself. From the description it appears to be a spy thriller alias SF alias horror etc. (Either that or the "I" was put into the title by mistake...)
LizR

Re: Alias (2001)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Sydney Bristow is an international spy recruited out of college, trained for espionage and self-defense.

Alias Promo

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Alias (2001)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Jennifer Garner talks about a possible 'Alias' reboot

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers