The Sandbaggers

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Re: The Sandbaggers

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:34 am

So what did you make of the Bob Ross double cross ?
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am

Martin_Kinsella wrote:So what did you make of the Bob Ross double cross ?

Yeah - well it was quite interesting, but they kept putting in these things then not carrying them forward. So by the end of the next episode they were all cosy and matey again.
ericthehalfabee

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm

Special Branch next old bean.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby ericthehalfabee » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Hartnell's Wig wrote:Special Branch next old bean.

I am determined to get through the mountain of still wrapped films and other series first!

Special Branch is awaiting purhase at the next available Network sale :)

I'm thinking about re-doing The Avengers - and I still haven't watched the later ones.

I also have half watched Danger Man and Edgar Wallace box sets. The latter were wonderful I thought.
ericthehalfabee

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:51 pm

Hartnell's Wig wrote:Special Branch next old bean.

I do like Special Branch. Two completely different shows. The Euston films one is probably a favourite but derren nesbitt and Fulton mackay work so well together too.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby The Wooksta! » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:41 am

The later "Special Branch" episodes are more in the mould of "The Sweeney" - an apt contrast are the early studio bound episodes of "Taggart" and the filmed episodes sans McManus after his death. Same name, different series.

That said, the early episodes of "Special Branch" are rather good, especially episode 2 with a young Paul Darrow as a solicitor. I can't praise Morris Perry highly enough - Moxton is wonderfully slimy and Paul Eddington in a similar role later on just isn't as good.

DW Watch - one episode of the Euston series, the one with Catweazle, has some of the incidental music from The Invasion. Olaf Pooley pops up in one episode, Douggie Camfield directs a couple of episodes, including my favourite with Tony Beckley and Jacqueline Pearce, another featuring a young Gareth Thomas as a revolutionary and Patrick Troughton. TBH, there's loads of Who actors peppering the series.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham..."

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
The Wooksta!

Postby ericthehalfabee » Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 pm

The Wooksta! wrote:The later "Special Branch" episodes are more in the mould of "The Sweeney" - an apt contrast are the early studio bound episodes of "Taggart" and the filmed episodes sans McManus after his death. Same name, different series.

That said, the early episodes of "Special Branch" are rather good, especially episode 2 with a young Paul Darrow as a solicitor. I can't praise Morris Perry highly enough - Moxton is wonderfully slimy and Paul Eddington in a similar role later on just isn't as good.

DW Watch - one episode of the Euston series, the one with Catweazle, has some of the incidental music from The Invasion. Olaf Pooley pops up in one episode, Douggie Camfield directs a couple of episodes, including my favourite with Tony Beckley and Jacqueline Pearce, another featuring a young Gareth Thomas as a revolutionary and Patrick Troughton. TBH, there's loads of Who actors peppering the series.

Sounds right up my street.
ericthehalfabee

Postby iank » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:07 am

I've been making my way through this series, just one episode left to go in fact. Marvellous stuff. Always loved Marsden as Dalgliesh and he's just as awesome, in a completely different way, as Burnside. Season 2 was the best season, I'd say, 3 has suffered a little from the "other writers" syndrome (and the loss of Vernon, which was a bit disappointing as he's awesome too), though I did like the last one where Burnside was on the verge of being pushed out.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby StarQuake » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:42 pm

I usually skip the non-Mackintosh written episodes when I re-watch my DVDs, they're not of the same standard, iirc. In a way I'm glad the series ended when it did so there wasn't a drop in quality. Too many shows go on a little past their prime, Sandbaggers went out on top.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:59 pm

StarQuake wrote:I usually skip the non-Mackintosh written episodes when I re-watch my DVDs, they're not of the same standard, iirc. In a way I'm glad the series ended when it did so there wasn't a drop in quality. Too many shows go on a little past their prime, Sandbaggers went out on top.

Yup, Cribb which was on around the same time also never outstayed it’s welcome
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby StarQuake » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:03 am

^I've never even heard of that. I'll look out for it in future.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers