Campion (1989)

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Campion (1989)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat May 11, 2019 2:10 pm

In 1930s England, a man from an aristocratic family takes up the pseudonym Albert Campion and, with the help of his ex-burglar manservant, solves mysteries.

"Campion" TV Intro

Peter Davison (later of "The Last Detective") took the lead role in this 1989-1990 BBC-TV mystery drama based on Margery Allingham's "golden age" detective novels featuring "Albert Campion," the pseudonym employed by a man--supposedly of British aristocratic heritage--who has become an amateur sleuth and adventurer. Brian Glover co-starred in the 16-episode series as Campion's manservant, Magersfontein Lugg, while Andrew Burt appeared as his policeman friend, Stanislaus Oates.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Campion (1989)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat May 11, 2019 2:15 pm

The complete theme tune.....

Campion Theme BBC Series Nigel Hess

The theme tune for the charming old era detective show Campion - penned by Nigel Hess who also composed the Michael Gambon Maigret theme

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 pm

If we hit it enough times with a mallet, I like to think we could somehow slot this show into WHO continuity.

I dunno; sling a fob watch in there somewhere or something. :lol:

Having said that, I never really watched the show. Looks quite charming. :)

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 pm

The books got reissued, of course......

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby paulhickling » Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 pm

I seem to remember Brian Glover's atrocious cockney accent. Being a fellow Barnsley lad you'd think that if they wanted him bad enough they'd re-jiggle the character as a Yorkshireman. Or even better get an actual cockney. Glover's as far away as you can get!
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers