TRAITORS

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

TRAITORS

Postby LizR » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 am

Has anyone watched this? I found it a curate's egg (i.e. good in parts). Overall I think it worked, but it was almost sunk by anachronisms in the writing - why bother to recreate 1947 down to the last detail then have characters say things like "I'll give you a heads up" ? Can't they do a bit of research on how people actually talked at the time?

Still, the story was pretty good. It's about spies penetrating the Attlee government. Has a very nice mention of Kim Philby just thrown in, I appreciate that sort of attention to detail (see above).
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: TRAITORS

Postby StarQuake » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:34 pm

I watched it when it was on here months and months ago, but I don't remember much about it. I think, like you said, bits of it were good, but not enough to make it memorable. I do remember thinking that Emma Appleton was good in the lead, and I don't think I'd seen her in anything before. Overall not as smart as it wanted to be, but watchable.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LizR » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:26 pm

Yes, she was very good. I think you summed it up with "not as smart as it wanted to be, but watchable".
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 am

A British civil servant agrees to spy on her own government for the Americans in the aftermath of WWII.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Spies, Sleuths and Coppers