Who is the Best James Bond?

"Shaken, not stirred", "We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner" and all that jazz.

Who is the Best James Bond?

Sean Connery
46%
George Lazenby
8%
Roger Moore
15%
Timothy Dalton
15%
Pierce Brosnan
No votes
Daniel Craig
15%
No votes

Total votes: 13
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

So who exactly is the best James Bond?

Have left a space for the next one after Craig, to future-proof the thread, and re-voting will be allowed in future - as they may turn out to be brilliant and the best yet [i](he said optimistically)[/i]. :)

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

That was a tough one.

Growing up I would have voted for Roger, as he was having the hi-jinks in space of MOONRAKER and I liked sci-fi. Also he seemed the most fun Bond. But of course, looking back now, his films fell off the tightrope of silliness too often for comfort.

Sean was all a little bit too serious for me. And maybe just a little bit over-rated?

George I have come to appreciate as doing a better job than many people made out over the years. He certainly put over the tragic ending of OHMSS well I thought.

Daniel Craig has certainly been the most realistic and you could really believe that this is an ex-SAS man or whatever. But I think they have gone a little too realistic. More tuxedo and quips needed. Maybe not his fault.

So in the end I have plumped for Timothy. Respect to him for going back to the source material and giving us a much under-rated Bond. I do prefer his LIVING DAYLIGHTS to the slightly too nasty LICENCE TO KILL though.

But as I say, it was a hard choice.

UPDATE: I completely forgot Pierce! Maybe says it all really. :?
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I went for Sean Connery. All the actors have something going for them (even George Lazenby, who I think is good in the emotional scenes but lacks Connery's intensity and charisma in the standard Bond scenes), but I think Connery is still the man to beat. Craig has come the closest for me, but Spectre was such a disappointment it's taken the shine off him a little.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
iank

Although I enjoy Licence to Kill as a bloody 80s revenge thriller, the only Bond I give two shits for is Roger Moore. And I love Connery in other things, but his Bond always left me cold. Brosnan was bleh and Craig is Dullness in human form.
Moore will always be Bond in my house.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

It can only be Connery.

The rest just don’t even come close.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

In some alternative universe Cubby actually listened to the opinions of everyone else around him - and their Mondas members consequently have the option of voting for this fella instead of Timothy Dalton...... :)

https://screenrant.com/sam-neill-james-bond-audition/

Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Roger Moore by a mile. Moonraker is the best movie too.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

You're killing me, Martin!
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Tough choice between Sean and Daniel Craig, but I plumped for Craig in the end. I may go back on that, or not. :monkey:
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

StarQuake wrote:You're killing me, Martin!
Hey, Alan Partridge is a big fan of a Roger Moore, who am I to disagree.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I see sanity has prevailed (so far) and Sean is out in front. Moore was too old and had the wrong colour hair, most of the rest were all a bit meh, just standing in after the franchise had veered into self-parody (thanks, Roger), and Craig is probably second best through having tried to get back to something resembling the original, however briefly, and, well, through sheer persistence.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
I get being a fan of Moore - he was Bond when I was a kid - but Moonraker? I think it's pretty awful. Was it the first Bond you saw in the cinema, by any chance?
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

StarQuake wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:
I get being a fan of Moore - he was Bond when I was a kid - but Moonraker? I think it's pretty awful. Was it the first Bond you saw in the cinema, by any chance?
No, that was a spy who loved me. I like that one too. Can’t remember when I first saw Moonraker. I know it’s not well regarded but there’s just something about it that really strikes a chord with me. I watched Skyfall over Xmas and enjoyed that one too. It’s the first Daniel Craig I have seen.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

StarQuake wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:
I saw Moonraker in the cinema.

It’s the funniest Bond, but most of that is unintentional.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Servorobot wrote:
StarQuake wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:

I genuinely think Roger does very good "staggering all over the place" acting after almost being killed in the space-flight simulator whizzing wheel thing in that movie. Also like it when Roger looks at Jaws and Daisy(?) when it is revealed there will be no place in Drax's plans for them. Roger could put across subtle moments well.

Roger the most fun Bond; but he could show the steel and seriousness of Bond if called on. I voted for Timothy as he went back to Fleming to study his character.

But if I was stuck on a desert Island it would be a toss up between Moonraker, Living Daylights and OHMSS for my narrowed down fave Bond films. Hard to choose between those three. :)
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Cygnus Prime wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
StarQuake wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:

I genuinely think Roger does very good "staggering all over the place" acting after almost being killed in the space-flight simulator whizzing wheel thing in that movie. Also like it when Roger looks at Jaws and Daisy(?) when it is revealed there will be no place in Drax's plans for them. Roger could put across subtle moments well.

Roger the most fun Bond; but he could show the steel and seriousness of Bond if called on. I voted for Timothy as he went back to Fleming to study his character.

But if I was stuck on a desert Island it would be a toss up between Moonraker, Living Daylights and OHMSS for my narrowed down fave Bond films. Hard to choose between those three. :)
Er OHMSS by a country mile.

I prefer From Russia With Love if the truth be known.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Big Rog. Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me are terrific films, but by jingo Moonraker’s a bag of sh*te.

I don’t want to influence you or anything Cygnus but you should have a poll for the best Bond song.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Servorobot wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:
Servorobot wrote:
StarQuake wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:

Er OHMSS by a country mile.

I prefer From Russia With Love if the truth be known.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Big Rog. Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me are terrific films, but by jingo Moonraker’s a bag of sh*te.

I don’t want to influence you or anything Cygnus but you should have a poll for the best Bond song.

Ah, the only problem with a best Bond Song poll is that the limit of options is 20. I guess we could limit the number down by eliminating some songs that we just know would never win? Mind you, am not sure which ones to lop out of the poll. :?

That awful(?) song for Quantum of Solace could go for a start! :lol:

Of course, everyone already knows that the best song of all time is......

Lani Hall - Never Say Never Again

:lol:

In the meantime, just found this existent thread in the Film & TV music section: :)

The JAMES BOND Themes:

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1117
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Poor Pierce.... :(

No love in this poll for him.... yet.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Roger Moore. The rest I can take or leave.
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Pierce's first film, Goldeneye, was good, but the others were bland (imo). Bond fans hate on Die Another Day, but as silly and out there as it was, at least it picked a direction and went for it, giving us a great sword-fight, and a ridiculous but fun super-car battle; TND and TWINE I find so middle of the road, being neither realistic & gritty nor fun & imaginative, but stuck somewhere very safe in between. They are slick and entertaining, but not memorable at all for me.

Return to “Spies, Sleuths and Coppers”

• Information