Dynasty

Sue Ellen, you're a drunk, a tramp and an unfit mother.

Dynasty

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 am

Does anyone know what sort of shape the Dynasty archive is in? I ask becasue the show is running here on CBS Drama. The first two seasons appeared to be on good qaulity videotape but about halfway through season 3 the episodes jumped to poor qaulity film. The odd epsiode comes on in videotape and you can spot the jump in qaulity right away, although everyone sounds a little speeded up. There is a lot of hiss on the film eps.

Apart from that, I am loving the show. I have never seen it before........well I think I may have done when I was very small but I have no real memory other than the theme tune. I love how they completly disregard the audience's intelligence if it gets in the way of the plot. Fallon was pregnant for all of 8 weeks.LOL
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Dynasty

Postby Kajaboy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:32 am

R.I.P. John Forsythe.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Postby ianj » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:15 am

It was compulsive awfulness; Joan Collins and a silly bint would always have a cat fight, and tear each others hair out! I think Kate O Mara was also in it for a while..You wont believe the ending!!

As to the quality of the episodes, they were sometimes ropey at the time of original transmission, I think because the beeb used to get them as converted 525 line to 625 line videos, or something like that, and they were a mix of video and film anyway, so were compounded.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Apart from the drop in quality, you can tell right away if it's film or video as the film eps have a "Previously on DIE-NASTY" bit at the start.......the voices are slightly faster on VT too.

Rock Hudson has just arrived........I think I remember something about the longest on screen kiss with Linda Evans, which resulted in panic when it was discovered that Rock was HIV positive.
Kajaboy

Postby Fatso the wombat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 pm

As Ian says; sounds like a bad standards conversion to me.

These days, I always try to get TV shows in their native format on DVD.
Fatso the wombat

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm

I don't think it's a bad conversion as such. You can tell that some episodes are film recordings and others are VT. The film eps always have the "previously....." bit at the start. I know they were a mix of both, interiors VT exteriors film.
I just find it odd that they are broadcasting from 2 different formats. It's a bit like the Pertwee era.
Kajaboy

Postby Kajaboy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 am

Prince Robin of Moldavia has been in it for a few eps now. I think the massacre episode must be due early next week. I'm looking forward to that.
Kajaboy

Postby Kajaboy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:06 pm

So season 7 has just started. No one seems to have noticed that yet another Carrington child has had a head transplant. Just to make sure we all know who it is, the recap includes a refilmed section and Alexis is seen later on taking out a picture frame with 3 pictures of her children and a long lingering close up of the new Amanda. :lol:
Kajaboy

Postby ianj » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Everyone used to watch it at the time, it got great ratings, but tailed off on the last season; sometimes, you couldnt keep up with the actor /actress changes! ( or the mad storylines either) --awful, but compulsive viewing....I well remember the old bag Kate O'Mara and Joan Collins scenes! Steven, you are hooked, arent you?!!ianj
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby Kajaboy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:09 am

I am yes. I can't stop watching. It's sooo funny. The way they just ignore the face that anyone with a brain might be watching is hysterical. The early seasons take such liberties with the time factor. One ep has Blake being blinded from the explossion of some dynamite that was thrown at him from a car. Next episode someone just drops a line in that all happened "Weeks ago". LOL

Fallon (the good one) was pregnant for about 7 eps. They just kept on saying "That was weeks ago". LOL
Those first seasons must have covered a good 5 years between them.

I'm not sure if there is any more to come from Kate O'Mara. She is back in prison in some strange country.

I saw the reunion min-series on youtube as I know this will not be included in the run on CBS and Adam changes heads too. Not to mention that Steven has reversed the plastic surgery to look just as he did before he got caught up in that oil well explossion. LOL
Kajaboy

Postby ianj » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Have you got through to the ending of Dynasty yet, Steven? and, what did you think of the ending!!??ianj
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Not yet. I think there is 2 or 3 months left on CBS Drama. At the moment ben's daughter has just turned up. Ben tells Blake about her and it's the first we ever hear of her and then 2 scenes later Adam runs into her. :lol:

I have seen the final scene a few times on old 80's clips shows..........in the follow up mini-series we find out that Alexis turned in mid-air and landed on Dex crushing him to death but she survived. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kajaboy

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:43 pm

I am little bit behind but I am slowly catching up. I have just seen the first 2 eps of season 8 and this is where not having seen the Colbys causes problems. We get a "Last season......" recap which shows clips from the Colbys, Fallon and Blake on the phone and Fallon's abduction by aliens. Fallon and Jeff are on their way back to Dynasty proper but refer to stuff that has gone before that I have never seen. :?

And on the funny side of things, it turns out that Adam isn't really Adam at all. Given all the trouble he has made in the short time he has been "Adam" you would think Blake and Alexis would tell him where to go. Instead they adopt him. :lol:
Kajaboy

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Kate O'Mara was great in Dynasty I was sorry she didn't remain as a member of the regular cast, the same with Stephanie Beacham when The Colby's folded.

The audio/visual quality of some of these episodes is rather poor, the same with Falcon Crest another oldie being given an airing on CBS Drama at the moment. It is odd seeing them all so quickly, at the rate of one a day they just flash by.

Steven - did you see the ending of Dynasty when it was first transmitted or will it come as a surprise to you? I remember being gobsmacked!!

Didn't Dynasty come back for a reunion episode(s), I can't remember now how and if the bizarre ending was ever explained away?

I guess we won't see any more reunion episodes now since John Forsythe passed away, very sad.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Kajaboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:48 am

I have only ever seen the ending in clips shows and on youtube. I remember we had Dynasty on when I was very young but I can't remember it being on much after I was 6 or 7.
The reunion mini series is on youtube. I watched that a few months back just incase it got taken down again before CBS had finished showing it. I think this mini series is left off syndicated packages so........

I really do have to wonder where these eps originated. The other week we had 3 eps in a row called "DYNASTIE"
Kajaboy

Postby Mike Nuttall » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:33 am

Kajaboy wrote:I remember we had Dynasty on when I was very young but I can't remember it being on much after I was 6 or 7.

Thanks for that. I now feel old enough to have been dug up Mortimer Wheeler... :|
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Kajaboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:02 am

LOL

Did they move Dynasty to afternoons? I know Knots Landing was moved after one or two seasons due to poor ratings, Just as the storylines picked up I believe. It became huge in the USA. I remember being home from school one day and Dallas was on at like 2 PM. I have no idea if these were repeats or first run episodes. I remember it was a cliff-hanger ep where JR pushes Sue Ellen's boyfriend out a window and she shoots JR and calls the police. Years later when I saw the ep on UK Gold it was just as I remembered.
Kajaboy

Postby ianj » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:I remember we had Dynasty on when I was very young but I can't remember it being on much after I was 6 or 7.

Thanks for that. I now feel old enough to have been dug up Mortimer Wheeler... :|

Same here, mate...I was at work, living in digs then! ianj
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Postby Kajaboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:07 pm

I notice with these later eps that every time the camera is pointed at Alexis or Krystal a filter is used to make them look all romantic and soppy. :lol:
Kajaboy

Postby Kajaboy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

Last episode later today (Friday). Then they go back to the start on Monday..........missing out the mini reunion series. If you haven't seen that start here:

Kajaboy

Next

Return to Soaps