Crossroads

Sue Ellen, you're a drunk, a tramp and an unfit mother.

Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Just worked my through the Crossroads Archive boxset from Network and I have to say I am very impressed. Yes there are a few fluffed lines (Ann George as Amy Turtle is a great one for this) and yes the occasional wall wobbles and the boom mic is seen so much it should have it's own credit, but on the whole it's superb. Noele Gordon was truly a magnificent actress. It's no wonder she won the TV Times actress and personality of the year so many times. The set itself contains every episode (bar a few that have come to light since then) from 1965 up to May 1979 that are known to exist. To give you some idea of how much is missing, the first 13 and a half years are covered by 17 discs. the next ten months (July 78- May 79) are covered by the remaining 23 discs.

When UK Gold screened Crossroads they were forced to start with episodes post Noele Gordon as there are 9 episodes missing from 1980 and 9 missing from 1981 with a couple of these being post Meg's QE2 departure. Network stopped their archive releases at the point of May 1979 but later episodes (including the Meg's departure and the shooting of David Hunter) can be found spread across their initial 4 volumes and another can be found on Soap Box.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Crossroads

Postby Mr. Ron » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 pm

I'm determined to be cremated to the CROSSROADS theme - preferably with criss crossing credits listing all the people I never could stand and their darkest secrets. My Gran loved this show - we had to have it on everytime she visited without fail or she sulked like a 5 year old. Once Doctor Who summer repeats clashed and there was war.. :D

ATV were big on harps in '64. The last few seconds to Crossroads are almost identical to "Aqua Marina" the losing theme to Stingray, which had completed its first run earlier that year.

"You've got one of the best ME resources online here." - Friends of Derek

Ronnie (n): moustache - after movie star, Ronald Coleman
User avatar
Mr. Ron
 
 
 
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:24 pm

It was one of ITV's biggest hits and yet they treat it like cr*p. When it gets an odd mention it's always about the things that went wrong which given how little is left there isn't much to show. Although you can see a classic clanger from Amy at 2:20 in this clip. And another from Shughie at 3:50.



My fave isn't included. Meg in one episode says "She's the FARTHER of Hugh's child". :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby The Nimon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:39 pm

I hated what they did with Nu-Crossroads when it came back, Adam Chance as Hanible Lecter and the the Mills and Boon series.

Some Happy memories of of Classic Crossroads. The version of the Theme by Wings was cool. I also remember the fire episodes and the end of the last episode where Jill drove off to start a new Crossroads.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:01 pm

The Nimon wrote:I hated what they did with Nu-Crossroads when it came back, Adam Chance as Hanible Lecter and the the Mills and Boon series.


I only saw the episode with Steps in it. Not through choice I have to say. ;)

It seems they didn't learn the lesson from the original series of not killing off/sacking the best known and most loved characters. Killing Jill and having Adam be her killer is like a kick in the teeth to the original series and it's fans. ITV just wanted to make an awful soap set in a hotel and thought the Crossroads name would bring in more viewers.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby The Nimon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:36 am

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:I hated what they did with Nu-Crossroads when it came back, Adam Chance as Hanible Lecter and the the Mills and Boon series.


I only saw the episode with Steps in it. Not through choice I have to say. ;)

It seems they didn't learn the lesson from the original series of not killing off/sacking the best known and most loved characters. Killing Jill and having Adam be her killer is like a kick in the teeth to the original series and it's fans. ITV just wanted to make an awful soap set in a hotel and thought the Crossroads name would bring in more viewers.


I hope one day they try again and just ignore what they did with the two new series and have Jill and Adam in it again to start it off
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:45 am

The Nimon wrote:I hope one day they try again and just ignore what they did with the two new series and have Jill and Adam in it again to start it off


Kathy Staff called it a sex show. :lol:

I don't know if they could bring it back now. ITV just want all their soaps to have murders and sex and car crashes every week. Crossroads wasn't like that. The other problem is, not many of the original cast are still alive and those that are were killed off. Jill might just be able to come back by virtue of the fact the last episode of the remake turned the whole thing into a dream. :shock:

If it did come back and they got Paul Henry back as Benny I would expect the character to be blown up by an exploding cowpat. In the original series he had asked for more money and was given the boot instead and Benny just disappeared without mention.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Mr. Ron » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Hanky time.

"You've got one of the best ME resources online here." - Friends of Derek

Ronnie (n): moustache - after movie star, Ronald Coleman
User avatar
Mr. Ron
 
 
 
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby The Nimon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:I hope one day they try again and just ignore what they did with the two new series and have Jill and Adam in it again to start it off


Kathy Staff called it a sex show. :lol:

I don't know if they could bring it back now. ITV just want all their soaps to have murders and sex and car crashes every week. Crossroads wasn't like that. The other problem is, not many of the original cast are still alive and those that are were killed off. Jill might just be able to come back by virtue of the fact the last episode of the remake turned the whole thing into a dream. :shock:

If it did come back and they got Paul Henry back as Benny I would expect the character to be blown up by an exploding cowpat. In the original series he had asked for more money and was given the boot instead and Benny just disappeared without mention.


Very true, I hate modern soaps. They used to be true to life but don't seem it any more
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 pm

The Nimon wrote:Very true, I hate modern soaps. They used to be true to life but don't seem it any more


It seems they want a spike in the ratings every other week. It's got to a point now where a death isn't remembered for very long as there's another one soon after. Those shock moments that people still talk about 20, 30, 40, 50+ years later have been robbed of any value these days as you can't tell one fire/crash/murder/building collapse from another.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby The Nimon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:08 am

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Very true, I hate modern soaps. They used to be true to life but don't seem it any more


It seems they want a spike in the ratings every other week. It's got to a point now where a death isn't remembered for very long as there's another one soon after. Those shock moments that people still talk about 20, 30, 40, 50+ years later have been robbed of any value these days as you can't tell one fire/crash/murder/building collapse from another.


Yes completely agree with you there, Why does everyone have to, Turn evil, be a gangster, cheat, break up, get back together, kill someone every bloody week? They have to make those shock moments even more shocking now because of that, I'm still waiting for the alien invasion of Coronation Street. I think Brookside was the worst for that. I still remember when Emmerdale was just about life on a farm.

Is Phil Colinson still producer on that, saw the end credits the other day and someone else was credited?
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:11 pm

The Nimon wrote:Is Phil Colinson still producer on that, saw the end credits the other day and someone else was credited?


He left Corrie in January this year.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby The Nimon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Is Phil Colinson still producer on that, saw the end credits the other day and someone else was credited?


He left Corrie in January this year.


Thanks for that, was wondering why his name didn't appear
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Mike Nuttall » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:27 am

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Is Phil Colinson still producer on that, saw the end credits the other day and someone else was credited?


He left Corrie in January this year.


I wonder why he left? I don't watch Corrie or EastEnders anymore. There are too many kids in Corrie and EastEnders is depressing.

On the subject of Crossroads, it was never the same after Noele Gordon was sacked. They needed their bumps felt for sacking her.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
User avatar
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 7477
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:I wonder why he left? I don't watch Corrie or EastEnders anymore. There are too many kids in Corrie and EastEnders is depressing.

I haven't watched either in a very long time. I watched I watched Corrie for a bit around the time of the tram crash but gave up again not long after. EastEnders I can not stand at all. It was always on the depressing side but the characters were mostly likable, even Dirty Den. Today everyone is just out and out nasty.

Mike Nuttall wrote:On the subject of Crossroads, it was never the same after Noele Gordon was sacked. They needed their bumps felt for sacking her.


The Crossroads Appreciation Society has unearthed the truth and all will be revealed in a special documentary they are working on.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby ianj » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I thought it high politics at ATV, as Gordon was on the ATV board, and shortly after he sacking,ATV was pillaged and turned into Central tv. The Borehamwood studio ws sold orig to the bbc, and the atv filmcan archive there junked with indecent haste...
User avatar
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator
 
Posts: 3246
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Re: Crossroads

Postby Mike Nuttall » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Kajaboy wrote:I haven't watched either in a very long time. I watched I watched Corrie for a bit around the time of the tram crash but gave up again not long after. EastEnders I can not stand at all. It was always on the depressing side but the characters were mostly likable, even Dirty Den. Today everyone is just out and out nasty.


I tuned in for the live episode because I knew it was being directed by Graeme Harper. Phil Collinson obviously wanted a safe pair of hands directing that night and Harper did a brilliant job as you would expect.

Kajaboy wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:On the subject of Crossroads, it was never the same after Noele Gordon was sacked. They needed their bumps felt for sacking her.


The Crossroads Appreciation Society has unearthed the truth and all will be revealed in a special documentary they are working on.


I remember Kathy Staff and Jane Rossington being interviewed by Paul O'Grady years ago and Staff saying it was "politics".

When will this documentary be finished and how do I get to see it?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
User avatar
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 7477
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Mike Nuttall wrote:When will this documentary be finished and how do I get to see it?


It was due to be released some time ago but ITV wanted to interview some of the people for their Unforgettable Noele Gordon episode and the dates clashed with those the CAS had put aside for them so they have had to take a back seat. I gather this has actually been a blessing in disguise as they have had more time to prepare it. I gather they hope to have it finished in time for the 50th anniversary next November.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Crossroads

Postby Mike Nuttall » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:03 am

Will it be shown on TV or will I have to buy it on DVD or something?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
User avatar
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 7477
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Crossroads

Postby Kajaboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:27 am

Mike Nuttall wrote:Will it be shown on TV or will I have to buy it on DVD or something?


Almost certainly on DVD. It's not going to be the sort of thing ITV wants people to see. 8-)

As far as Crossroads goes ITV really don't give a hoot. They certainly aren't looking after the episodes in their archive properly. It appears episodes are still going missing. Someone from CAS was doing some research and asked for some footage from a mid-1980's episode....ITV can't find it. :o
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Next

Return to Soaps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron