The Brothers

Sue Ellen, you're a drunk, a tramp and an unfit mother.

The Brothers

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:17 pm

http://www.simplymedia.tv/?s=The+Brothers

Just a heads up to anyone who's interested that Simply Media bring out Series 3 of "The Brothers" this week (I saw the news on Colin Baker's Twitter feed!)

I have never actually seen The Brothers other than a clip a few seconds long on a Dr Who DVD documentary... but (intriguingly) it did appear to show Colin Baker actually doing some really Good Acting... the question of whether Colin Baker is actually any good or not remains an interesting one to me ;) (the only other things I've seen him in were a Blakes 7 (ridiculous), a Juliet Bravo (fairly good) and a Little Britain out-take (amazing!)

I don't even know if he is in series 1 to 3 of The Brothers (there were 7 in total, good grief!) or really what this series is like (I'm guessing it's a kinda soapy thing a bit like a cross between 'Howard's Way' and those Fry & Laurie sketches about the business executives from Uttoxeter...) but hey...
'teleportNOW!'

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: The Brothers

Postby Allons-y » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:39 am

feline1 wrote:http://www.simplymedia.tv/?s=The+Brothers

Just a heads up to anyone who's interested that Simply Media bring out Series 3 of "The Brothers" this week (I saw the news on Colin Baker's Twitter feed!)

I have never actually seen The Brothers other than a clip a few seconds long on a Dr Who DVD documentary... but (intriguingly) it did appear to show Colin Baker actually doing some really Good Acting... the question of whether Colin Baker is actually any good or not remains an interesting one to me ;) (the only other things I've seen him in were a Blakes 7 (ridiculous), a Juliet Bravo (fairly good) and a Little Britain out-take (amazing!)

I don't even know if he is in series 1 to 3 of The Brothers (there were 7 in total, good grief!) or really what this series is like (I'm guessing it's a kinda soapy thing a bit like a cross between 'Howard's Way' and those Fry & Laurie sketches about the business executives from Uttoxeter...) but hey...

You didn't catch him in Jonathan Creek?
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
Allons-y

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 am

I didn't even catch Jonathan Creek in Jonathan Creek :alien:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby The Ginger Cat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:54 pm

I seem to recall seeing him (Colin Baker that is) in the TV series "Swallows and Amazons Forever!" just prior to him starting up in "Who". I think it was only a minor role that he had in it. He also cropped up, years' later (90's?) in an episode of "The Bill". I suppose he wasn't bad in them (can't remember anything sticking out as too hammy etc.) The only "performance" of his that really sticks in my mind though, is as "Bayban the Butcher " in "Blake's 7" that feline mentioned.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby 'teleportNOW!' » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 am

Yeah, Bayban the Butcher was a turnip :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

Postby paulhickling » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 pm

feline1 wrote:Yeah, Bayban the Butcher was a turnip :lol:

Never been a Blake's 7 fan, but I remember REALLY reacting badly to Colin's performance in this.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ginger Cat » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 pm

I see Amazon have stuck up Series 7 of this Brothers thing then for pre-order if any of you are interested. Click! Crikey this show must've gone on for a few years.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby DSJR » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:13 pm

It was staple Sunday night viewing as I remember. Colin Baker played his character well - Paul Merroney I think and not too savoury a character either. The older brother changed actors early on and I seem to remember that the later actor played Ashton in the TV series of Dalek Invasion of Earth. I think that's right..

I believe the programme makers went on to make Howard's way, starring Maurice Colbourne until his untimely death.
DSJR

Postby The Ginger Cat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:45 pm

DSJR wrote:Colin Baker played his character well - Paul Merroney I think and not too savoury a character either.

Lol, a little interview with Colin about playing Paul Merroney AKA “Most Hated Man in Britain” in The Brothers.

https://www.simplyhe.com/blogs/news/int ... e-brothers
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Martin_Kinsella » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:42 pm

DSJR wrote:It was staple Sunday night viewing as I remember. Colin Baker played his character well - Paul Merroney I think and not too savoury a character either. The older brother changed actors early on and I seem to remember that the later actor played Ashton in the TV series of Dalek Invasion of Earth. I think that's right..

I believe the programme makers went on to make Howard's way, starring Maurice Colbourne until his untimely death.

Glyn Owen was the main Hammond brother in S1. Wanted too much dosh for S2 apparently so regenerated into Patrick O'Connell.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Soaps