The Orville (2017)

This is a local forum for local people.

The Orville (2017)

Postby Heccypoo » Tue May 16, 2017 1:01 am

This looks like it might be fun...

Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: The Orville...

Postby LizR » Tue May 16, 2017 9:43 am

Captain Scarlet now has a beard? Fans will be outraged.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby shuzbot » Tue May 16, 2017 9:47 am

I was thinking Seth McFarlane looks a bit like Graham Norton there. :mrgreen: :alien:
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Ginger Cat » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Let's hope the series doesn't turn out to be a bit of a dead duck...
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby Heccypoo » Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 pm

The Ginger Cat wrote:Let's hope the series doesn't turn out to be a bit of a dead duck...

Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby -JMW- » Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 pm

So...a kind of Galaxy Quest: the Series.
Looks fun, but I'm not sure whether it will be sustainable...some of the humour in the trailer alone seems stale, and the spacecraft are way too ST: Voyager rather than something original. But if they can keep it zipping along it's different enough from anything else on TV (as far as I know).

Might as well keep the running gag going:

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby LizR » Wed May 17, 2017 11:59 am

Boldly going where "Red Dwarf" , "Hyperdrive", "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", etc, etc have gone before.

To keep up the Orville jokes, the pilot episode will get off the ground but only last 12 seconds.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby shuzbot » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:34 pm

It Sure Looks Like Rob Lowe Is Guest Starring in Fox's The Orville

Rob Lowe may have given up on chasing real-life aliens and settled for the TV variety.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/rob-lowe-the-orville/

Actor J. Lee talks artistry and new Fox series ‘The Orville’

J. Lee has spent the last 12 years navigating Seth McFarlane’s world, from being a receptionist for the “Family Guy” show to starring in McFarlane’s latest project, “The Orville.”

Since taking a leap of faith and moving to Los Angeles with $200 in his pocket, the St. Louis native and accomplished pianist has lent his talents to not one but three of McFarlane’s animated series. Lee worked as a writer for “The Cleveland Show” and supplied his vocals to “Family Guy,” “The Cleveland Show” and “American Dad.”

Set 300 years in the future, “The Orville” follows the adventures of the Orville, a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar fleet. Facing obstacles from without and within, Orville’s motley crew of space explorers boldly go where no comedic drama has gone before.

Lee sat down with rolling out to talk about his artistry and new series....

https://rollingout.com/2017/08/24/actor ... s-orville/
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:38 am

Take Me to the Pilots '17: Fox's 'The Orville'

Seth MacFarlane's new Fox sci-fi comedy isn't the Seth MacFarlane sci-fi comedy that Fox wants you to believe it is.

Desire to Watch Again: Desire? Limited. Not enough in the pilot works to fill me with active desire for more. Curiosity, though? High. The Orville is trying something interesting and maybe strange and after one episode I definitely can't say that I like what it's trying, but I can't really say that I don't like it either.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-p ... le-1032717
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:33 am

Fox Shows No Concerns About “Orville’ ‘Star Trek’ Lawsuit

http://comicbooksresource.com/fox-shows ... k-lawsuit/
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:59 am

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby shuzbot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:06 pm

I just torrented this (don't judge me). It was overlit, a lot of the sets looked cheap and because it was aimed at a family audience the comedy was really anodyne, unlike the Simpsons which is more layered.

It's gonna get cancelled.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby -JMW- » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:29 am

The pre-credits sequence was dissapointingly slow paced. This show needed to demonstrate either slap-in-the-face comedic credentials or a pounding action beat from the outset. It failed dismally on both counts.

The comedic aspects in general were rarely funny and nearly always overstated. In particular the dog-licking-it's balls in the backround of a shot was amusing, but then it was tropunced as it was announced by an officer; the exploding blue eyebrow ejaculate at the beginning which could have ended the scene, continued past it's funniest beat. The two short moments I did find funny was the captain sucking on what he thought was a "mint" as he was being offered the job, and the hologram getting decapitated. Those were mere blips of genuine light humour though.

There seemed to be a constant stream of objects in the background of most scenes which was a pleasant aesthetic of added depth. I wasn't bothered by the lighting - the visuals were pleasant enough (though somewhat sparse at times when there wasn't all the background activity). Not sure what Jon Favreau's direction lent to the production - maybe just an experienced level-headedness to ensure the product looked professional (which it did).

What bothered me was the over reliance on ripping-off homaging the STTNG style. It's been done to death, and so yet another circular space dock sequence and another STTNG warp effect just felt dull. It might have been more interesting/amusing to strip the design style down to a cheap but overstylised sixties series look of the future - lava lamps, swirls, rounded square patterns.

Pace-wise, this show seems quite intent on providing an abundance of shoe leather in every scene. It's so very dull!
Maybe it just needs time to grow. Many US shows develop character bonds which drive the narrative...but they tend to be bland cookie-cut clones, just with differing desktop themes, unless one has become indoctrinated. I'll watch it until it's cancelled just to see if it gets a much needed shake-up..maybe this first episode of introductions was the slow exception.

Most distracting above everything else, is a spot/mole between the female first officer's eyebrows. :shock:

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby shuzbot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:07 pm

shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 pm

The second episode was much better. Still not entirely sold on the comedy aspect or the casting, but much more engaging.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Ep3: More gender politics. Nothing against this but it's terribly tiresome that everybody is jumping on the same bandwagon at the same time. Still, they did well; it was interesting and they seem to be getting the tone right.

Couldn't help smirking, in a nostalgic way, as Seth McFarlane sat down and his desk wobbled. :P That's proper SF, right there.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby -JMW- » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Well it's certainly dragging right along there, now seemingly set on track to do very little of value. It's clearly stuck ripping off the Star-Trek brand rather than doing anything new, smart, witty whilst offending no one.

The gender issue was mldly interesting, but hammered and hammered and hammered - nothing subtle here!
The outcome was what I'd hoped for though, and against expectation. Good - you can't win 'em all over with sentiment StarFleet (or whatever organisation this is). Some civilisation have their own culture and it may even be entirely offensive to ours - get over it.

This is one dead series though. Say bye-bye to it because it's going down the plug-hole.

JMW

Postby shuzbot » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:12 pm

That last one was another decidedly average ST:TNG clone :alien:
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby shuzbot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Ep 5 was decent enough. The comedy took a back seat.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby -JMW- » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:53 pm

Episode 5

Yes, that was more enjoyable than the previous four episodes, helped of course by Charlize Theron guesting.
This week zipped along without the humour falling flat

The "practical joke" thread was funny too. A shame it wasn't allowed to evolve.

It's also a shame that they didn't break with tradition when the left-turn opportunity presented itself. We could have seen the crew experience an unexplored future - with them out of their depth it could afford a greater chance for the humour to evolve in a fish out of water scenario. Instead they used the well-worn reset-switch method, so I'm expecting the blandness of prior episodes to return.

JMW

Next

Return to Comedy