The Orville (2017)

This is a local forum for local people.

Re: The Orville...

Postby shuzbot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Episode 6 was also good, but it could have been better. The comedy still seemed to hinder the drama and it still feels like a cheap ST:TNG knock-off. I always end up feeling ambivalent. And so many characters remain undeveloped.
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Postby shuzbot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't mind Seth is having fun with his vanity project. It isn't my cup of tea ... and it isn't Star Trek ... but whatever. One significant difference is that Star Trek captains were all actors and all had charisma and presence (three important factors that Seth isn't able to bring). People seem to like it for some reason ... to each their own - but most television shows feature leading characters who have a basic ability to act and not just mug the camera and make funny faces and look so out of place along side actual talent. I'm sure Seth is a very clever talented writer and show runner guy - he knows his low brow audience well - but putting himself in front of the camera is a complete ego trip mistake. The guy can't act - yet he cast himself as the lead. Like I said though ... have fun ... to each their own.

Agree, disagree?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby -JMW- » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm

shuzbot wrote:
I don't mind Seth is having fun with his vanity project. It isn't my cup of tea ... and it isn't Star Trek ... but whatever. One significant difference is that Star Trek captains were all actors and all had charisma and presence (three important factors that Seth isn't able to bring). People seem to like it for some reason ... to each their own - but most television shows feature leading characters who have a basic ability to act and not just mug the camera and make funny faces and look so out of place along side actual talent. I'm sure Seth is a very clever talented writer and show runner guy - he knows his low brow audience well - but putting himself in front of the camera is a complete ego trip mistake. The guy can't act - yet he cast himself as the lead. Like I said though ... have fun ... to each their own.

Agree, disagree?

Seth and others suit the material. The material is mostly a cheesy-blandness though.

The sixth episode was ok, but it did nothing new and felt flat in tone because the intent seems to be on delivering shtick. But humour doesn't seem to be what this show does best...the humorous style they seem to be attempting was much better served on Stargate: Atlantis.

Irreverent (even offensive) humour is something Seth is known for. An example of misaligned comedy/drama is in one particular scene where we see a severed head. It's not exploited for laughs, and yet any real terror that it might induce is nullified by the casual attitude of the "hero" characters.

An interesting ethical dilemma is presented and of course an uncontroversial solution presents itself. I'd rather they'd play the ship and crew as perpetrators of heinous accidents and poorly conceived actions. Saving a colony seem twee, when they could have screwed up their planned mission and brought about the death and mayhem by the accident of them being involved.

Still this sixth ep is the second best so far, after last week with Charlize Theron. Maybe they just need more big names in guest roles to provide the verisimilitude.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby shuzbot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:28 pm

The last episode was pretty decent. Ratings are up too.

TV Ratings: ‘The Orville’ Hits Highest Ratings Since Week 2

Fox sci-fi series “The Orville” is currently up in both measures in the Thursday overnight ratings, drawing its best numbers since its second episode.

According to Nielsen data, “The Orville” averaged a 1.2 rating on adults 18-49 and 4.2 million viewers, up by over 20 percent in both measures compared to its last original episode two weeks ago. That is also the third-highest night on record for the freshman series, with the next highest being Episode 2, which drew a 2.2 and 6.6 million viewers. It should be noted however that the overnight numbers are subject to adjustment later today.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-orv ... 202600964/
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby -JMW- » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 pm

shuzbot wrote:The last episode was pretty decent.

Yeah, a pleasing story there about the dangers of extreme populist appeasement currently en-vogue in our reality.

They seemed to strike a more reasoned balance between the humour and verisimilitude (although it's no way near ideal still). No requirement for a big-name guest either.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Postby shuzbot » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 pm

How China Wants to Rate Its Citizens

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... s-citizens
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Ginger Cat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:01 am

Looks like The Orville's getting a second season then.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/seth-ma ... 202605463/
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby shuzbot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Voyager's Emergency Medical Holographic Program, Robert Picardo, is CONFIRMED to be on The Orville November 16th!

:Drunk:
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

The Orville

Postby The Nimon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Any one else been watching this? I'm 3 episodes in and think its rather good. Got a very TNG vibe to it.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Re: The Orville

Postby shuzbot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 pm

There is a whole thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5557

:)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby The Nimon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Ok cheers, ignore this one then lol
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
The Nimon

Postby The Ginger Cat » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:01 pm

One day I'll get round to watching this series...

Comic-Con 2018 Official Trailer: THE ORVILLE | Season 2

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Postby iank » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Well if they ever got round to releasing it on DVD it'd help.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:01 am

The Dolly video will make sense if you have seen the show. :D

Dolly Parton - 9 To 5 (Official Video)

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:07 am

When ORVILLE was first mooted, I was really cynical about the sound of it. It just seemed to me that they were going to try and be GALAXY QUEST all over again. Then it started and the joke quotient seemed indeed high; a daft version of TNG, with thinly disguised versions of iconic characters: Bortus as Worf, Isaac as Data. A holodeck, etc. etc.

It was fun, but seemed, to me, ultimately just a throwaway comedy show, paling in the shadow of something like RED DWARF, or indeed the GALAXY QUEST movie.

But something has been happening, gradually. The jokes have been fading and real drama seeping in, to the point where the balance has flipped and now this is a dramatic show with gentle quips and mild gags here and there. Topical issues - some of them hard hitting - were being addressed too; an aspect of TREK that DISOVERY seems to be completely clueless about.

The double episode was a game changer for me. Suddenly it was ramped up to high drama, with.....

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

I really like this show now. If they could come up with some way of making it officially TREK canon, I would not be complaining. And I feel it has the spirit of Berman era TREK in it's bones, helping to slightly take away the bad taste of DISCOVERY.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The Orville (2017)

Postby Cygnus Prime » Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm

FOX Renews “Orville” For A Third Season

Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi adventure series “The Orville” will return for a third season on FOX, the network surprisingly taking its time to re-up the show despite the series already receiving a TV tax credit for next season.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Tue May 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Cygnus Prime wrote:When ORVILLE was first mooted, I was really cynical about the sound of it. It just seemed to me that they were going to try and be GALAXY QUEST all over again. Then it started and the joke quotient seemed indeed high; a daft version of TNG, with thinly disguised versions of iconic characters: Bortus as Worf, Isaac as Data. A holodeck, etc. etc.

It was fun, but seemed, to me, ultimately just a throwaway comedy show, paling in the shadow of something like RED DWARF, or indeed the GALAXY QUEST movie.

But something has been happening, gradually. The jokes have been fading and real drama seeping in, to the point where the balance has flipped and now this is a dramatic show with gentle quips and mild gags here and there. Topical issues - some of them hard hitting - were being addressed too; an aspect of TREK that DISOVERY seems to be completely clueless about.

The double episode was a game changer for me. Suddenly it was ramped up to high drama, with.....

phpBB © 2011

I really like this show now. If they could come up with some way of making it officially TREK canon, I would not be complaining. And I feel it has the spirit of Berman era TREK in it's bones, helping to slightly take away the bad taste of DISCOVERY.

This is the only Star Trek I want to watch now. It's more like Star Trek than anything since TNG.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue May 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Hartnell's Wig wrote:
Cygnus Prime wrote:When ORVILLE was first mooted, I was really cynical about the sound of it. It just seemed to me that they were going to try and be GALAXY QUEST all over again. Then it started and the joke quotient seemed indeed high; a daft version of TNG, with thinly disguised versions of iconic characters: Bortus as Worf, Isaac as Data. A holodeck, etc. etc.

phpBB © 2011

This is the only Star Trek I want to watch now. It's more like Star Trek than anything since TNG.

Totally agree.

The people who own the rights to STAR TREK just don't get it - and I have zero optimism for the forthcoming PICARD series, with Patrick already saying guff like "He's not the Picard you remember". No doubt they appealed to his actor's ego with promises that he could play a damaged or bitter and wounded Picard or something.

Actor's, you just can't trust 'em! :(

Yeah, the Orville is proper Trek in my head-canon, with a sprinkle of fun on top! :lol:
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The Orville

Postby cloudy day » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:14 am

Who likes this show? I love it! I haven’t watched a lot of Star Trek but I like Seth MacFarlane so I gave this one a chance. It started off slow but it’s snowballed into a better and better show the whole way through! I so hope it gets a third season.
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
cloudy day

Postby cloudy day » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 am

cloudy day wrote:Who likes this show? I love it! I haven’t watched a lot of Star Trek but I like Seth MacFarlane so I gave this one a chance. It started off slow but it’s snowballed into a better and better show the whole way through! I so hope it gets a third season.

Ohhhh sorry, I created a new thread in a different board because I didn’t see The Orville here. Thanks for redirecting me. Anyway like I said, I hope for a new season.
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
cloudy day

PreviousNext

Return to Comedy