Rate "Genesis of the Daleks"

Would you like a Jelly Baby?

I'm giving this story a well-earned.....

67%
No votes
11%
22%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 9

Rate "Genesis of the Daleks"

Postby Cygnus Prime » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 pm

An all-conquering classic?

Or a bit over-rated? :?

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

See also.....

THE DAVROS DILEMMA: Which is the Right Choice?:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7988

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Rate "Genesis of the Daleks"

Postby DSJR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 pm

To many I believe, it's one of the greatest Dalek stories if not one of the greatest ever stories in the entire series, but I dropped two marks as Terry Nation totally re-wrote the Chronicles' history which seriously pissed me off big-time (Aspies don't like changes like this). Age and tolerance have shown me subtleties in the acting and actor choices and so on which have lifted it for me, but to use Davros as the Dalek mouthpiece from here on in does annoy me still - the Daleks could speak quite rapidly and clearly in Masterplan, so why not other stories... One other aspergic niggle - the Daleks didn't look especially 'early' although the grey paint and tatty props possibly made them look more like prototypes. one of the annuals (I forget which one), did draw them cruder I remember.
DSJR

Postby LizR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:37 am

It's true this rewrites "The Dalek Chronicles" but I'm not going to knock points off for that personally. The Chronicles were always somewhere off in a non-Doctor-Who universe as far as I could tell, so once the story got going I took it to be filling in some background between when the Daleks recovered from the momentary inconvenience of the Doctor's first visit, somehow ignored the Thals (who never appeared in the Chronicles) and got on with the important business of conquering the universe.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby paulhickling » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:32 am

All time classic. Comic strips don't count. And it's not the fault of anyone involved that Davros became a super villain afterwards. If there's only one area where new Who agrees with us it is at least where they don't use Davros EVERY TIME.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Orchid » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:37 pm

A great story that would have been even better as a four parter.

Nitpicks:

Sarah's adventures in the Thal dome are not particularly thrilling, especially climbing the Thal rocket which seems to take forever.

Gharman's sermons become more and more sanctimonious as the story progresses - last time I watched I could not resist cheering at the screen when he got exterminated.

Bettan and the surviving Thals seem to spend an age regrouping outside the burning Thal dome and later when preparing the explosives to blow the corrider to the Kaled bunker.

Sarah's costume change - the most ridiculous in the show's history.

A very long scene of Kaled scientists attacking guards to gain access to the weapon store in episode 5.

But still a really good story with many memorable scenes, with superb performances from the regular cast and Michael Wisher and Peter Miles.
Black Orchid

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Gharman's sermons become more and more sanctimonious as the story progresses - last time I watched I could not resist cheering at the screen when he got exterminated.

:lol:
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TheWatcher » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:34 pm

7/10

A great story with some marvelous acting, story telling and characters as well as production design, direction and music. Yet at the same time, dragging in the middle and not as good an origin story as the original 1963 Daleks.
'Image ''Turn around, bright eyes.''
TheWatcher

Postby Cygnus Prime » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:03 pm

DSJR wrote: I dropped two marks as Terry Nation totally re-wrote the Chronicles' history which seriously pissed me off big-time

Admittedly, all three origins do seem pretty irreconcilable. :?

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Genesis_ ... c_story%29

Dalek Chronicles Origin

A neutronic war rages on Skaro, fought between the peaceful Thals and the hideous Daleks. During the war, the Daleks discover cobalt in the mountains, which they name the Radiation Range. The cobalt is used to construct neutron bombs which Dalek War Leader Zolfian intends to use to wipe out the Thals. Drenz, the pacifist ruler of the Daleks, demands the war be halted for fear it will annihilate the entire planet. Zolfian murders him, leading to an increase in the war effort. Zolfian orders the scientist Yarvelling to being production of a machine that will seek out and destroy any Thals who survive the bomb. Heavy production goes ahead for two weeks before a meteor storm hits Skaro and detonates the bombs in storage. The blast levels the entire continent of Dalazar.

Zolfian and Yarvelling emerge from the ruins of the war council chamber when they believe the radiation level has fallen enough. They search the ruins of Skaro for any survivors, Dalek or Thal, but find no one and they build a shelter before they become to weak from radiation sickness. Then the shelter explodes and they are confronted by the figure of the machine built by Yarvelling. It informs them that it is not a machine but a mutation created by the explosion. It orders the two humanoid Daleks to help more of the casings be constructed so the Daleks may rule the universe. Zolfian sees this as the chance for the Thals to one day be wiped out and he and Yarvelling work tirelessly to rebuilt the war factory. The being that found them declares that it will become the first Emperor of its race and orders materials to be collected so a special casing may be constructed for it. At its completion, Zolfian and Yarvelling die. The Emperor orders an invasion force be constructed. The new Daleks have been born.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

TheWatcher wrote: not as good an origin story as the original 1963 Daleks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Daleks

TV Series Origins

The First Doctor first encounters the Daleks in the second serial of the show, The Daleks (1963−64). In this version of Dalek history, the Dalek homeworld of Skaro is described by the Daleks in the second episode as having once been home to two humanoid races: the Daleks and the Thals. Following a short but terrible nuclear war between the races "over five hundred years ago", the Thals were horribly mutated and the "Dalek forefathers" retired into the city.[1] According to the Thals in the third episode, the Daleks were originally teachers and philosophers,[2] while the Doctor states in the fourth episode that the Daleks were called Dals back then, and speculates that the Daleks had just as badly been mutated at the time.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Orchid » Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Black Orchid

Postby Black Orchid » Mon May 18, 2020 11:32 am

Black Orchid

Postby Black Orchid » Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am

Black Orchid