The Celestial Toymaker

Hmm? What’s that, my boy?
The Krynoid Man

Leave it in. Obviously, it's not a word that should be used anymore, but this story comws from a time when it was more acceptable to say it and its important to show that.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

bobmcpherson wrote: THE CELESTIAL TOYMAKER will sadly never be recovered so isn't this like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin??
Yes, the nursery rhyme does exist and I don't see it what its archival status or chances of recovery have to do with whether interesting discourse can arise from the thread topic.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
cyberlad
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

Only Bub could try and say using the N word was ok.
You don't have to hate the new series here but it helps.
bobmcpherson

The Krynoid man wrote:Leave it in. Obviously, it's not a word that should be used anymore, but this story comws from a time when it was more acceptable to say it and its important to show that.
Besides if we are going to open THAT can of worms, better be prepared to see........someday in the future.....DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP (antisemitism) and THE UNICORN AND THE WASP (antiChristian bigotry) become fair targets AND the precedent will have been set.

Disney for example have become censoring fools...THE THREE CABALLEROS, FANTASIA, SOUTH OF THE SOUTH, several early Mickey Mouse cartoons...........I am waiting the day when the SJOs go after DUMBO............

I would recommend everyone instead of a book burning using those matches to calm down and light up a fag.

Oh wait we better go through EVERY British movie/TV show where they light up fags because that is now an anti-Gay slur and BURN THEM!!!
'teleportNOW!'

cyberlad wrote:How many years ago was this?
How many years ago was Love & Monsters? :alien:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Ten years ago! :shock:

Thankfully, time is relative, or something.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

feline1 wrote:I can't remember *exactly*.

I think it was some exchange such as
ME: "Love and Monsters has a terrible ending where we're supposed to think all is OK cos the girl is turned into a paving slab but can still felate her bf"
SQUEELORD: "but it IS ok because she liked it!"
(a couple of posts later)
SOMEONE ELSE: "Love and Monsters raped my childhood"
ME: "I heard your childhood liked it"

BANNED. Date this ban will be lifted: NEVER.
Why were you banned from Roobarbs again ?
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
'teleportNOW!'

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
Why were you banned from Roobarbs again ?
For saying "ahine", which is a silly made-up word invented by some of my schoolfriends in 1991, but Julian Bism or whatever his name is declared was an abusive attack on Roobarbs forum poster "Al Hine" :lol:
NoSoul

shuzbot wrote:Image
What could be better than the recovery of one of the most outright racist stories in Who history. The weird thing is "The Final Test" is probably one of a handful of orphan pisodes you can watch and basically get the gist of what's going on within minutes. Certainly curious to see how it would play in complete form, but I'm not ecstatic about it except for the fact it's a recovery many would enjoy.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
Scot Ferre

NoSoul wrote:
What could be better than the recovery of one of the most outright racist stories in Who history. The weird thing is "The Final Test" is probably one of a handful of orphan pisodes you can watch and basically get the gist of what's going on within minutes. Certainly curious to see how it would play in complete form, but I'm not ecstatic about it except for the fact it's a recovery many would enjoy.
Racist because of one word, or something else? I may be missing something about that story. If it's just one word, well, I think there are worse candidates than that story but whatever.

EDIT: I just remembered about the "Celestial" aspect. Well, what can you do with minimal number of actors who were non-white back then? Even Talons had similar issues.
iank

I'm sorry, but anyone who seriously thinks Toymaker is racist has drunk way too much of the PC Nazi Kool-Aid. :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
ericthehalfabee

iank wrote:I'm sorry, but anyone who seriously thinks Toymaker is racist has drunk way too much of the PC Nazi Kool-Aid. :roll:
Go to the Reminder Room and watch "Thin Ice" :lol:
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

NoSoul wrote:
At the rate we've been going I'd take anything, even The Space Pirates.

I wouldn't read too much into it. They're probably going to have a poster for each story with missing episodes in the lead up to the event.

I'm sure they'll put a poster up and Pascal will diligently post it on the FB group of something you find more palatable.
oldschool

NoSoul wrote: What could be better than the recovery of one of the most outright racist stories in Who history. The weird thing is "The Final Test" is probably one of a handful of orphan pisodes you can watch and basically get the gist of what's going on within minutes. Certainly curious to see how it would play in complete form, but I'm not ecstatic about it except for the fact it's a recovery many would enjoy.
Oh dear, more PC fascism strikes Doctor Who shock.............

Thanks for the lecture anyway, but don't call me, I'll call you.
Machine Against The Rage
thecypher

ericthehalfabee wrote:
iank wrote:I'm sorry, but anyone who seriously thinks Toymaker is racist has drunk way too much of the PC Nazi Kool-Aid. :roll:
Go to the Reminder Room and watch "Thin Ice" :lol:
I'd rather down a bottle of anti-freeze.. ;)
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
James-S
Banned From Forum
Banned From Forum

...Isn't 'Toymaker meant to be 'problematic' to those of a certain virtue-signalling, sh^t stirring disposition on account of the eponymous character being dressed in Mandarin garb.....or is there something else in it (that I've presumably overlooked) arousing such righteous indignation?

Ah, the infinite futility of judging history by modern standards... :(

That aside I must be one of the few fans who actually seem enthused by the prospect of the serial's potential recovery. That's a shame as while it's not the very best 'Who serial out there (to put it mildly) it's nonetheless a very visual story that's obviously undermined by three quarters of it being audio only.

Fingers crossed then for some good news soon!
NoSoul

Scot Ferre wrote:
NoSoul wrote:
Racist because of one word, or something else? I may be missing something about that story. If it's just one word, well, I think there are worse candidates than that story but whatever.

EDIT: I just remembered about the "Celestial" aspect. Well, what can you do with minimal number of actors who were non-white back then? Even Talons had similar issues.
A better writer than me explains it: http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/the ... -toymaker/
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
NoSoul

Would two N-words be okay then?
The Wooksta!

It's interesting that Sandifer condemns both Ark and Toymaker as racist and yet is quite happy watching "A fixit with a Paedo" and accepting it as canon. Quite interesting double standard there...
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

"Don't be told what you want. Don't be told what you need." - John Lydon
Hartnell's Wig

The Wooksta! wrote:It's interesting that Sandifer condemns both Ark and Toymaker as racist and yet is quite happy watching "A fixit with a Paedo" and accepting it as canon. Quite interesting double standard there...
He's a bit of a berk to be fair.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!

Return to “The Hartnell Era”

• Information