Series 11 Spoiler Thread

For discussion of spoilers for the 11th series of Nu-Who
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Martin_Kinsella wrote:There is also Sharon D Clarke in a recurring role. She is, apparently, a regenerated version of River Song.
Gone back to being black then, as that's how she spent most of her childhood.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The Ginger Cat wrote:Image
So, has Doctor Who now caught up with the original Star Trek in terms of diversity?
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Martin_Kinsella wrote:There is also Sharon D Clarke in a recurring role. She is, apparently, a regenerated version of River Song.
Oh good, the return of Ivana Catchphrase.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
steve.othen

The new series couldn't be anymore politically correct if it tried !
By trying to be so radical & right-on, chibnall & co are actually being totally predictable.
-JMW-

steve.othen wrote:The new series couldn't be anymore politically correct if it tried !
By trying to be so radical & right-on, chibnall & co are actually being totally predictable.
We know at least one radical choice has been made, because a few of you keep telling the rest of us.

I've no problem with something being "politically correct" - I don't see why anyone would as it's a very odd stance to take...."I don't like all this equality grrrr".
I'm not sure it's designed to be "politically correct" though, but it is bold and seems to have been well received by the majority.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Please tell me this is not true. FFS I thought we were done with this joke character with Mofftwat off. Besides, isn't she dead?!
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Miss Cathcart

Not too concerned about Bradley Walsh's casting - he seems to be a reasonably good actor. However, I suspect his character may turn out to be rather comic. As for having two Hollyoaks actors, this seems like an attempt to get the "yoof" audience back, which has apparently dropped off somewhat during Capaldi's run. The overall impression I get from this casting doesn't give me any great confidence that the feel of the show will be any different from what has gone before.
DSJR

I cringed at Bradley Walsh's choice. Of course he needs to work and he is at least a reasonable actor so may surprise. I just remember him from all the tacky afternoon game shows and the 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium' shows he does still.

If the Beeb are short of money these days, why three companions, or have I got it wrong?
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

I thought he was supposed to be making it more like the Tennant era and now we have 3 companions? Doesn't sound like a vote of confidence in Whitaker. I think I might just give up completely if they bring River Song back
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

DSJR wrote:I cringed at Bradley Walsh's choice. Of course he needs to work and he is at least a reasonable actor so may surprise. I just remember him from all the tacky afternoon game shows and the 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium' shows he does still.

If the Beeb are short of money these days, why three companions, or have I got it wrong?

Bradley Walsh is another who has a track record with the Chibmeister General having worked on that mediocre Law and Order UK.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

-JMW- wrote:
steve.othen wrote:The new series couldn't be anymore politically correct if it tried !
We know at least one radical choice has been made, because a few of you keep telling the rest of us.

I've no problem with something being "politically correct" - I don't see why anyone would as it's a very odd stance to take...."I don't like all this equality grrrr".
I'm not sure it's designed to be "politically correct" though, but it is bold and seems to have been well received by the majority.

I doubt the majority care either way about the casting of roles in a show with a declining audience.

in terms of Fandom it still seems split on it.

But fandom has two choices. Like it or lump it.

The casting has an air of SJA/Class to me. The Former being good the latter being bad and as someone has pointed out on Roobarbs the article says they are regulars not companions.
chap with wings

iank wrote:I'm sorry, but I still giggle like a little schoolgirl whenever I see Whittaker and think "that's supposed to be the Doctor." :D

I felt the same about Matt Smith - Whittaker though I saw her as THE Doctor straight away.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
-JMW-

shuzbot wrote:I thought he was supposed to be making it more like the Tennant era and now we have 3 companions? Doesn't sound like a vote of confidence in Whitaker. I think I might just give up completely if they bring River Song back
I haven't read Chibnal state that a desire to emulate the Tennant era.

Three companions...hmmm - it'll never catch on...

The only person in the line-up I have reservations about is Bradley Walsh, but as DSJR stated, it's because of all the light entertainment he's known for. That said, I just had a look at a few clips from "Coronation Street", "Law & Order UK" and "Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" and he seems to equip himself without issue.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW

Martin_Kinsella wrote:I doubt the majority care either way about the casting of roles in a show with a declining audience. in terms of Fandom it still seems split on it.
The casting has an air of SJA/Class to me. The Former being good the latter being bad and as someone has pointed out on Roobarbs the article says they are regulars not companions.
Hardly an even split in fandom though - it's something like 20% who object at this point...and those are forum opinions...the wider public, as you state, will not care.

As to declining numbers - yep, it's true for all broadcast television with the exception of reality television and annual competitive events. The Beeb seem to have more confidence in the show than they did in the declining eighties.

Like you state - like it or lump it - it's happening.

JMW
Space Commander

-JMW- wrote: Three companions...hmmm - it'll never catch on...
The Tardis was overcrowded in the eighties and it's looking that way now. It's about group dynamic, not numbers.
Space Commander Shuz, reporting for duty!
-JMW-

shuzbot wrote:The Tardis was overcrowded in the eighties and it's looking that way now. It's about group dynamic, not numbers.
Nyssa's weaker character suffered against the competition of more abrasive characters...but it's the exception to multi-cast line-up scenarios.

But, we don't know what the dynamic is, as we have yet to see any footage.
There is no way to tell how each character is connected to the Doctor, whether they all travel together or whether some remain in situ elsewhere. It could be a UNIT type scenario, it might be that Chris Chibnall plans to take the miniseries route and have a season-long story (ala Broadchurch). We just don't know.

We do know that he handled multiple characters to acclaim in Broadchurch.
I've faith that he will deliver something interesting and engaging.

JMW

River Song is out of regenerations, and dead. But at least we can make jokes about it if it is the case..
Once you go black.. :D
As for the SJA/Class type casting, I expect the show to either be on CBBC or BBC Three.. or just, not on at all (wishful thinking there :lol: )
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

thecypher wrote: As for the SJA/Class type casting, I expect the show to either be on CBBC or BBC Three.. or just, not on at all (wishful thinking there :lol: )
I felt a CBBC vibe as well. :o
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

shuzbot wrote:
-JMW- wrote: Three companions...hmmm - it'll never catch on...
The Tardis was overcrowded in the eighties and it's looking that way now. It's about group dynamic, not numbers.

In the sixties the stories were longer and the seasons forty plus weeks long. It would have been untenable for just Doctor and one companion.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

-JMW- wrote:
Martin_Kinsella wrote:I doubt the majority care either way about the casting of roles in a show with a declining audience. in terms of Fandom it still seems split on it.
Hardly an even split in fandom though - it's something like 20% who object at this point...and those are forum opinions...the wider public, as you state, will not care.

As to declining numbers - yep, it's true for all broadcast television with the exception of reality television and annual competitive events. The Beeb seem to have more confidence in the show than they did in the declining eighties.

Like you state - like it or lump it - it's happening.
Dr Who is declining in terms of share as well as viewers though and catch up is not what it was either. Merchandise is in decline, exhibitions are closing. We will see how it pans out from here.

As for the polling it merely reflects the self selecting views of a small minority of fans who take part and little can be drawn from it apart from a majority of those voting seem okay with the decision. It is not reflective as fandom as a whole.

Return to “SERIES 11 SPOILERS”

• Information