C-19 vs CO2

Science-y stuff.

C-19 vs CO2

Postby LizR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:48 pm

iank in the Big Finish Audios thread wrote:Apparently recordings have stopped because of the coronavirus.

So there is an upside to this crisis then!

There are lots of upsides. Pollution and greenhouse gas emissions have plummetted, governments are supporting people who would otherwise have to run around like headless chickens doing pointless work to make ends meet, lots of leaders are being shown up for the idiots they are - it's being clearly proved how countries with a universal health system are better equipped to cope with a pandemic - there is less traffic, less flying, far fewer tourists, more working from home... That's just off the top of my head. It's a reality check, and boy does it hurt all the people who've been pushing such chimeras as putting the 1%'s profits ahead of everything else. (Climate change is a reality check too, of course, but because it's happening relatively slowly, some bears of little brain are still able to persuade themselves and others that it's not real. But this is, literally, in your face. Even Donald and Boris have done U-turns after originally denying it needs urgent measures. You can almost hear those stable doors being bolted!)

All the ricketty castles in the air that have been built up over the last 30-40 years - the return to Victorian values beloved of Mrs Thatcher, for example - are being shown up as collosal failures. (Yes, Maggie, there is such a thing as society, as is now being demonstrated in real time - shame you aren't here to see it.)

Even Isis has warned its jihadists to keep away from Europe, apparently...!

It's just a shame it takes a virus with a mortality rate somewhere between 1 and 4% to bring about some of the changes that intelligent people have been pushing for since scientists started warning about climate change (and Terry Nation started warning about the possibility of a global pandemic, of course!) back in the 70s.
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: C-19 vs CO2

Postby LizR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:48 am

And now the Eurovision Song Contest! :D

Another thing intelligent people have been protesting against since the 70s! :lol:
"I have sat here for 13 years weeping at the tragedy of so many people wasting the precious gift of life chasing the mirage of a bigger GDP." -- Jeanette Fitzsimons, in her valedictory speech on leaving parliament.

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR

Return to "Science, Miss Hawthorne!"