Would New Who Have Been Better as a Total Reboot?

For discussion of the new series from 2005 to the present day hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

Would New Who Have Been Better as a Total Reboot (in retrospect)?

Yes (but I'm still glad New Who got made!)
23%
Yes (and I wish they had never even made New Who in the first place!!)
38%
No
38%

Total votes : 26

Would New Who Have Been Better as a Total Reboot?

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm

In retrospect, should New Who have been a total reboot instead of a continuation from the Classic Show?

With Eccleston actually playing a brand new First Doctor who has only recently left Gallifrey etc?

Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011

First Doctor: Eccleston
Second Doctor: Tennant
Third Doctor: Smith
Fourth Doctor: Capaldi
Fifth Doctor: Whittaker

In retrospect would you have been happier if they had been left to their own devices doing something like that - instead of their eternal (arguably sometimes disrespectful?) attachment to - and reliance on - the '63-'87 parent show?

Or are you beyond caring - and can't take New Who seriously anymore anyway?

See also.....

New Who Playing Fast & Loose With CLASSIC CANON!:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7441

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks to donations from members I've been able to move Planet Mondas to a faster server. But I'm still working on further improvements. Ad Revenue covers the server fees, but not my time, so if you like you can buy me a coffee, which will help fuel me! Thanks in advance! Mat Sadler (matjkd)

Re: Would New Who Have Been Better as a Total Reboot?

Postby Rubbernecking » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:24 pm

No, because reintroducing the Daleks would be a pain in the arse. It would undo everything and make the Daleks "victims of science" rather than a throw of the dice to gain supremacy etc.
Rubbernecking

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 pm

Rubbernecking wrote:No, because reintroducing the Daleks would be a pain in the arse. It would undo everything and make the Daleks "victims of science" rather than a throw of the dice to gain supremacy etc.

That reminds me that they almost didn't get the Daleks - or at least the Nation Estate was playing a long game of bartering for the rights.

RTD concocted the Toclafane to take their place instead, but once they got the rights to the terrors from Skaro he didn't want to waste the Toclafane idea and bunged it in Utopia etc instead. :)

Am not sure if the Toclafane-mania would have gripped the nation though if all had not worked out? :lol:

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby shuzbot » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:09 pm

It would have been better even if they just retconned out the TVM, which is always going to be a bit of a curio and nothing more. OK, McGann's 5-minute return on the 50th was nice, but...
De omnibus dubitandum (René Descartes)
shuzbot
Space Commander
Space Commander

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Can I have, 'They should never have brought it back in the first place' option please... 8-)
Lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire...
Heccypoo

Postby Cygnus Prime » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Heccypoo wrote:Can I have, 'They should never have brought it back in the first place' option please... 8-)

I just tweaked the options to allow for that, Heccypoo. :lol:
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Braxiatel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:03 pm

shuzbot wrote:It would have been better even if they just retconned out the TVM, which is always going to be a bit of a curio and nothing more. OK, McGann's 5-minute return on the 50th was nice, but...

You misspelled John Hurt
Braxiatel

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:11 pm

Cygnus Prime wrote:
Heccypoo wrote:Can I have, 'They should never have brought it back in the first place' option please... 8-)

I just tweaked the third option to allow for that, Heccypoo. :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Heccypoo

Postby LizR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Rubbernecking wrote:No, because reintroducing the Daleks would be a pain in the arse. It would undo everything and make the Daleks "victims of science" rather than a throw of the dice to gain supremacy etc.

Given that RTD tried his best to make them victims anyway, I'm not sure whether that would have mattered.
Russell T Davies in the Radio Times, 2005, wrote:The other thing that will surprise you is that they'll make you feel sorry for them. Never thought a grown man would cry over a Dalek? Wait and see!

I voted yes. I think the connection with the original is tenuous enough that they would have been better off making it a reboot, and if they wanted to rewrite history there wouldn't have been any arguments about canon, at least. A clean slate would have let them show the Doctor meeting his old foes for the first time and perhaps let them involve the new viewers more, e.g. they could have done a "Power of the Daleks" type story where only the viewers were sure who the baddies were. The Time War was an attempt at a "lite reboot" but it got abandoned eventually (as far as I can tell). A complete reboot would have been better, I think. And preferably not making the Doctor a walking encyclopaedia, but having him (or her) find out stuff as he went along.

I guess the flaw in all this is that it would have needed decent writers. But then, it might have made the ones we had push themselves harder if it was their baby, rather than them acting as though they were getting a free lunch and didn't have to carry as much weight.
Spoiler: Toggle
phpBB © 2011
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Postby Bowtiesarecool » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm grateful for the Matt Smith era. He was the best New Who Doctor by far.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Postby darnall42 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 pm

Voted Yes (but then again i think doctor who finished with survival :) ) RTD should have forgot about all the stuff from the classic series ,had a new tardis ,had a new theme tune and not touched any aspect of the old series.Now we have galifrey destroyed ,brought back and destroyed every series ,the sontarans become a laughing stock and now chibnall has shat on the whole series continuity by having any woman in a dress become a doctor prior to Hartnells original doctor
darnall42

Postby iank » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Would I have preferred it to be? Yes.

Would it have been better? Probably not. I would probably have stopped watching it sooner (by the late 2000s probably, if not 2006!) without the desperate pretense that this was somehow the same thing however.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
iank

Postby Heccypoo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm

Bowtiesarecool wrote:I'm grateful for the Matt Smith era. He was the best New Who Doctor by far.

Matt Smith and Karen Gillian were/are the best things to come out of NuWho…

Shame they were wasted..
Heccypoo

Postby godzilla54 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:56 am

I’m sad to say yes too. The female Doctor would have worked better like Battlestar Galatica’s Starbuck and Lost in Space’s Dr. Smith as a reboot. The Doctor could have gotten away being younger (20s) and be a heartthrob for the companions like they teased a little in the earlier seasons of nu Who.

I still think that the classic series, TV movie, and nu Who are in different universes in some ways. The Doctor is half human in one and a women in another. And MCCoy is still the Doctor in ours. :D
godzilla54

Postby Hartnell's Wig » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:14 pm

I voted for option three, but option three should not have a YES part to it IMO. It should just be that it should never have come back.

There have been some decent episodes but all in all it's just so childish and forgettable. The only episodes I've watched more than once or twice are Blink! and Mummy on the Orient Express. The vast majority have been watch once and forget and I stopped watching completely after Rosa.

Loads of bollocks for children and adults who watch sh*t like Love Island as well these days. It's not for proper grown ups ;)
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up

“What Brussels doesn’t understand is low power vacuum cleaners are no good if you want to put your willy in them."

So unprotected oral sex is responsible for the rise of super gonorrhea.. that's it then. I've given my last blowjob!
Hartnell's Wig

Postby LizR » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Heccypoo wrote:Matt Smith and Karen Gillian were/are the best things to come out of NuWho…

Matt Smith and the Sarah Jane Adventures, I'd say.
"I’m mentioning these things now not in an attempt to garner sympathy, but out of solidarity with the huge numbers of women who have histories like mine, who’ve been slurred as bigots for having concerns around single-sex spaces” — J.K.Rowling

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Return to NEW SERIES DISCUSSION