8%
4%
5%
6%
22%

Total votes: 188
thecypher

richardsmith wrote:
ericthehalfabee wrote:No agendas being too obviously bashed yet. There was a death, which was perhaps unnnecessary, but at least the person in question stayed dead for the funeral.
Yeah, it is a bit jarring when the coffin starts making noises :lol:
"That’s monstrous! Vaporisation without representation is against the constitution!"
ratkat

My initial thoughts -

FINALLY, good, atmospheric music/sound design - makes a world of difference from that awful orchestral stuff....

Jodie....after a few minutes, the change of gender barely seemed noticeable....she was over the top, but so was Tom Baker....the amount of pressure Jodie must have been under to make this work must have been incredible - I think she did a very admirable job - funny, confident, smart, crazy - but as with Capaldi, the material she had to work with was awful, which leads to....

The story - ouch, what a disaster....surely they could come up with something better with so much riding on the rebooting of this reboot. I honestly couldn't wait for it to end....and it just....kept....on....going.....

Companions- I liked Ryan a lot, though he was quite low-key in his delivery - hopefully travelling the Universe will pep him up a bit. Yasmin? Wallpaper so far - no personality or character that I could notice - hopefully will pick up later....Graham?? No, please.... they seemed to accept the fact that a mad lady w/ Yorkshire accent was an alien quite quickly though....crap writing imo....unfortunately I expect more of the same...

Theme tune?? Pointless re-working with strangely no atmosphere (compared to the show itself now having atmospheric music) - why not just go back and use the old 60s-70s versions if you can't improve it?....they sound ahead of their time even now....

Interesting at least....strangely, girlfriend was bored stiff after 10 minutes and couldn't care less about the gender change lol
mr borusa

tony ingram wrote:
chap with wings wrote:A huge thumbs up from me - felt like RTD era.
A huge thumbs down from me, for the same reason. After eight years of quality SF, we're back to the bad old days. This was basically just Corrie with aliens, and Whittaker is appalling.
8 years of Quality? You have got to be joking Mr Ingram.

Whittakers first episode although not perfect is more like Doctor Who than the previous 8 years. No dobby doctors, egg moons, cyber brigadiers, it had a decent and belivable alien threat.

And whats more important you have likable characters, no more awful Danny Pink types.
Binro was right.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

More like "Doctor Who" than the previous 13 years, I would say ;)

Maybe even than the previous, er ... quick calculation ... 29 years!
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
iank

Jesus.
You people are genuinely f*****g unhinged. :roll:
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
WAnglais1

I liked it. I thought she was great. The pace moved slower than in seasons past (thank goodness) and the music went along with the story quite well. None of that mixed too loud MG stuff.

The callback to the Second Doctor's speech about family was nice. I did see bits of everyone else in her who came before. Regeneration always has them a bit addled, and I didn't mind that. As far as the "buying women's clothes" line, I took it to mean the Doctor had purchased them for perhaps family or friends. We're okay with travel through time and space and fighting aliens everywhere, but buying women's clothing? That's a deal breaker.

I really don't get too caught up in stuff like that. Just repeat to yourself it's just a show, and you really should relax.

A solid 8 from me.
Spam Fritter

LizR wrote:Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
Voltaire?
Jacksen C Frame

LizR wrote:Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

True, I remember Beethoven telling me that as he was getting older, he used to shout a lot too by that time, thankfully I was able to tune his piano as his playing sounded rubbish otherwise :D
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

iank wrote:Jesus.
You people are genuinely f*****g unhinged. :roll:
Please would you lay off the personal insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I don't think using mental health slurs is especially pleasant to fellow who fans.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Martin_Kinsella
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I don't want to dance, dance with you baby no more.
J'aime Le Chameau Orteil.
Miss Cathcart

WAnglais1 wrote:I liked it. I thought she was great. The pace moved slower than in seasons past (thank goodness) and the music went along with the story quite well. None of that mixed too loud MG stuff.

The callback to the Second Doctor's speech about family was nice. I did see bits of everyone else in her who came before. Regeneration always has them a bit addled, and I didn't mind that. As far as the "buying women's clothes" line, I took it to mean the Doctor had purchased them for perhaps family or friends. We're okay with travel through time and space and fighting aliens everywhere, but buying women's clothing? That's a deal breaker.

I really don't get too caught up in stuff like that. Just repeat to yourself it's just a show, and you really should relax.

A solid 8 from me.
I think the superlatives being used about Jodie/the episode are a bit over the top but, on the other hand, the episode and Jodie's performance were a step in the right direction, taking us back to a style that is more (though not wholly) reminiscent of older Who: a Doctor in control of the situation, a curious and assorted group of companions, and a straightforward story without any complicated arcs. Chibnall was also clearly referencing previous stories and dialogue, e.g. the conversation about her family. In short, the Woman Who Fell to Earth was a good effort and bodes well for future episodes but I don't think we are at the start of a new Golden Era of Doctor Who.
mr borusa

Another good thing was that the Doctor was the one in control. Clara was an awful companion who felt more like a female doctor and capaldi felt the companion at times.

Whittakers doctor comes over as a bit of a tomboy which is good news as i was worried that the Doctor would turn into a feminist.
Binro was right.
date542

If they were going to play up the fact that the Doctor was now a woman then this opening episode would have been it..I can`t see them making a thing of it in later episodes...the Doctor is the Doctor.

Agree about Clara--one of the major factors in knee capping the Capaldi period of the show.

Hindsight great but also..never introduce a new Doctor on the back of a jaded production team who had frankly ran out of ideas--going back to the JNT era this never works..Capaldi`s last season should have been his 1st.

As someone noted elsewhere---I hope JW is on an upward trajectory and she gets better---if the opening episode was the best she was then the show is finished...
lepter

WAnglais1 wrote:I liked it. I thought she was great. The pace moved slower than in seasons past (thank goodness) and the music went along with the story quite well. None of that mixed too loud MG stuff.

A solid 8 from me.
Nice mst3000 reference there... ;)
lepter

mr borusa wrote:Another good thing was that the Doctor was the one in control. Clara was an awful companion who felt more like a female doctor and capaldi felt the companion at times.

Whittakers doctor comes over as a bit of a tomboy which is good news as i was worried that the Doctor would turn into a feminist.
Of course the doctor was in control
...she's a woman. (Runs away before the torrent of 'your sexist !' replies begins).....I am kidding. My wife says it's okay to joke about it.

I have to say the lack of strong male characters was concerning.
Hartnell's Wig

feline1 wrote:
Servorobot wrote:No character told every other character they met that they were gay
When I was at university I met numerous bolshie lezzers who insisted on telling everyone they were gay. It's totally a thing.
Used to happen when I was still .... comely.. too.

Funnily enough they used to have a complete sense of humour failure if told it didn't matter, because you had no interest in them anyway (in slightly cruder language) :D

Anyway... on topic ... I'm looking forward to Sunday. In part because of the Bradders Bangers video, which just underlines how NICE they all are as a cast.
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Spam Fritter wrote:
Voltaire?
No one knows for sure. One early possibility I quite like:
In 1813 the influential writer Anne Louise Germaine de Staël published the work “De l’Allemagne” in French. The English title was “Germany”, and in 1814 an excerpt was printed in “The Universal Magazine”. Madame de Staël envisioned herself watching a ballroom filled with dancers, and she imagined her reaction if she had been unable to hear the music:

"… sometimes even in the habitual course of life, the reality of this world disappears all at once, and we feel ourselves in the middle of its interests as we should at a ball, where we did not hear the music; the dancing that we saw there would appear insane."
It's discussed at some length here - https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/06/05/dance-insane/

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
I don't want to dance, dance with you baby no more.
Oh, Martin - you've lost that loving feeling. :shock: :cry:

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Miss Cathcart wrote:I think the superlatives being used about Jodie/the episode are a bit over the top but, on the other hand, the episode and Jodie's performance were a step in the right direction, taking us back to a style that is more (though not wholly) reminiscent of older Who: a Doctor in control of the situation, a curious and assorted group of companions, and a straightforward story without any complicated arcs. Chibnall was also clearly referencing previous stories and dialogue, e.g. the conversation about her family. In short, the Woman Who Fell to Earth was a good effort and bodes well for future episodes but I don't think we are at the start of a new Golden Era of Doctor Who.
It may be the launch pad for one, if the other writers pull through. I wouldn't expect that from Chibnall but decent writers who aren't hamstrung by an overbearing showrunner might just do it.

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information