11%
8%
4%
5%
6%
22%

Total votes: 188
'teleportNOW!'

You know, thinking about it, the old cockerny bus driver geezer is probably as annoying a character to me as Adric was to most people. It's all a bit "back 'of the cab!", in the derek & clive sense.
We shall see.
iamyourservant

Hi All,

Very disappointed - I've been a DW fan since Hartnell '63 & I thought this story was pants.

I've watched it three times now, & I still think it was so weak - building a sonic screwdriver & a Tardis Locator in some workshop/garage - Pleeze !!!!

& the illusion of BW being a serious companion when (for UK viewers) he is on almost daily as a game show host is just plain wrong - Oh Look, it's that bloke of The Chase... Pleeze again - & with knobs on

I happen to think JW is a fine actress, but a crap script is a crap script, as Capaldi might say off the record (maybe).

As for "The Monster" - cartoon Transformers/Predator crap - just not beliveable for me - but I guess, I'm no longer their target audience.

DWM subscription cancelled
IAYS

"I am Scottish, I can really complain about things now"

IAYS & 55% of the electorate voted YES to Scotland remaining part of the UK (for now)

IAYS & 48% of the UK electorate (62% in Scotland) voted to remain European & help preserve over 70 years of European peace, & yet....

...Can you imagine... What it must be like..to think of a number below 108 106 97...?
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Martin_Kinsella wrote:
iank wrote:Jesus.
You people are genuinely f*****g unhinged. :roll:
Please would you lay off the personal insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I don't think using mental health slurs is especially pleasant to fellow who fans.
Especially since I dealt with mental health issues around the time I signed up here.

Stay classy Iank :roll:
Hartnell's Wig

feline1 wrote:You know, thinking about it, the old cockerny bus driver geezer is probably as annoying a character to me as Adric was to most people. It's all a bit "back 'of the cab!", in the derek & clive sense.
We shall see.
Yeah but at least he's white.

(this is a joke folks, it's called satire. Or do I mean sarcasm?)
The key to usable HUMINT (Human Intelligence) is distinguishing the real, highly placed sources from the bullsh*tting wannabes who pretend they’re highly placed sources by making sh*t up
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

@iamyourservant

The story was pants but everything else was good, IMHO. If the stories continue to be weak that will be a problem, but for the introductory episode I thought they done good enough.

I normally find faults with the story - plot, characterisation, pacing, structure - and I can see some here, although to be fair the 'friends' haven't had much chance to shine yet (reactions to being on an alien world / entering the TARDIS are still awaited...)

But I thought it showed a few hopeful signs that may, if we're lucky, mean that some better writers get the chance to produce something decent later on. As mentioned before, it felt more like old Who to me, at least.

As for Bradley appearing on The Chase every day...

I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

feline1 wrote:You know, thinking about it, the old cockerny bus driver geezer is probably as annoying a character to me as Adric was to most people. It's all a bit "back 'of the cab!", in the derek & clive sense.
We shall see.
At least he doesn't use rhyming slang. As the offspring of a Cockney I was brought up on it.
I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions -- Lillian Hellman

My crosswords are on my homepage & Android phones - install Alphacross and select "Māyā's Cryptic Puzzles" :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Come to think of it, given that both RTD and Moff tried to big up their female companions at the Doctor's expense, I'm surprised they didn't do a Jodie years ago.

Miss Cathcart

iamyourservant wrote:Hi All,

Very disappointed - I've been a DW fan since Hartnell '63 & I thought this story was pants.

I've watched it three times now, & I still think it was so weak - building a sonic screwdriver & a Tardis Locator in some workshop/garage - Pleeze !!!!

& the illusion of BW being a serious companion when (for UK viewers) he is on almost daily as a game show host is just plain wrong - Oh Look, it's that bloke of The Chase... Pleeze again - & with knobs on

I happen to think JW is a fine actress, but a crap script is a crap script, as Capaldi might say off the record (maybe).

As for "The Monster" - cartoon Transformers/Predator crap - just not beliveable for me - but I guess, I'm no longer their target audience.

Bit extreme to cancel your DWM subscription (which, after all, covers all of Who, not just the new series), isn't it? I wish people would stop referring to Bradley Walsh as just a game show host - he's got several acting credits to his name (e.g. Law and Order UK) and, whatever you may think of his acting, he is not just a game show host!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

If I remember correctly he was persuaded back into acting by the offer of the part in Dr Who.

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Miss Cathcart wrote:

Bit extreme to cancel your DWM subscription (which, after all, covers all of Who, not just the new series), isn't it? I wish people would stop referring to Bradley Walsh as just a game show host - he's got several acting credits to his name (e.g. Law and Order UK) and, whatever you may think of his acting, he is not just a game show host!
I remember him from Coronation Street.
'teleportNOW!'

LizR wrote:
We shall see.
At least he doesn't use rhyming slang. As the offspring of a Cockney I was brought up on it.

Aye we he's a bit pony
ericthehalfabee

Miss Cathcart wrote:

My parents' and grandparents' generations had Gielgud, Olivier and Richardson - actors who strode like Colossuses across both stage and screen.

It seems this generation have Walsh, Armstrong and Mack. Actors who stride like clowns across both game shows and disposable TV drama. 8-)
DF79

On principal I can't watch it until we have a Phillipino, transgender, disabled Miss Marple...only when the pc agenda is satisfied will I pass judgement. ;)
"Packer, those two uninvited guests we had this morning. I assume they were photographed?"
oldschool

Well the opening episode wasn't that bad and way superior to all the guff of recent years, however I suspect it will be all downhill from here.
Jodie will become a feminist, Ryan and the female companion ( yeah, I don't even know her name ) will champion the downtrodden, Bradley will turn into a comedic buffoon and Chibbers will attempt to be even more all knowing and superior to Moffat with political claptrap and indecipherable stories that you'd need an Enigma machine to crack open.
And the entire cast go back to treating it like the spoof they've all played out the past few years. Christ......I wish Morris would stop playing games.......
Machine Against The Rage
ericthehalfabee

DF79 wrote:On principal I can't watch it until we have a Phillipino, transgender, disabled Miss Marple...only when the pc agenda is satisfied will I pass judgement. ;)
oldschool wrote:Well the opening episode wasn't that bad and way superior to all the guff of recent years, however I suspect it will be all downhill from here.
Jodie will become a feminist, Ryan and the female companion ( yeah, I don't even know her name ) will champion the downtrodden, Bradley will turn into a comedic buffoon and Chibbers will attempt to be even more all knowing and superior to Moffat with political claptrap and indecipherable stories that you'd need an Enigma machine to crack open.
Well I've asked the question of people who have watched and who have similar concerns and they say episode 1 was completely free of expression of identity/social politics. So apart from casting decisions - JW - it feels like adventure is the focus again. Which is just wonderful.

If this continues I might dip in. Although there are some very obvious potential pitfalls ahead: Rosa Parks, witchfinders and so on.
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

oldschool wrote:Well the opening episode wasn't that bad and way superior to all the guff of recent years, however I suspect it will be all downhill from here.
And the entire cast go back to treating it like the spoof they've all played out the past few years. Christ......I wish Morris would stop playing games.......
Projection, projection, projection...
Rob Ocelot

Miss Cathcart wrote: I wish people would stop referring to Bradley Walsh as just a game show host - he's got several acting credits to his name (e.g. Law and Order UK) and, whatever you may think of his acting, he is not just a game show host!
The same things were said about Pertwee previously being a comedic actor, T Baker being a virtual unknown, Davison being too young and only capable of playing vets, C Baker being the "JR Ewing of the UK", and McCoy simultaneously being both a childrens actor and a vaudville pervert who shoves animals in his trousers.

Point is, people will typecast in their heads before they open their mouths to criticize and then turn around use their prejudicial typecasting as proof they were correct about their limited acting range!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

ericthehalfabee wrote:it feels like adventure is the focus again. Which is just wonderful.
That sums it up. I just hope it doesn't all go pear shaped.

Miss Cathcart

DF79 wrote:On principal I can't watch it until we have a Phillipino, transgender, disabled Miss Marple...only when the pc agenda is satisfied will I pass judgement. ;)
And people who can't spell "principle"?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Unless DF79 wrote that while being carried around by a headmaster from the United States or New Zealand, of course :D .

Return to “SERIES 11”

• Information